Video: Story of the professor with a knife and the road rage big biker hits national TV

webfact

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Can't see it being Professors fault 

If these bikers want to play with their lives by zig zaging & trying to squeeze between cars It's up to them

It's clear as day on the bikes camera

I deal with this every day - Motor bikes on the inside when U turning

- On coming motor bikes with also bikes on my left ( where the hell do they think I shoul go), or do I take out the one that is in the wrong (the one coming at me )

Bikes have become an increasing menace on roads Thai in last 10 years. And the mufflers are a nice indicator. Listen to the stoopid big dick volume they gotta have. Loud pipes save lives, especially important when you are an imbecile weaving in out lanes passing inside etc. Nary day goes by where i dont contemplate turning a bit fast into left lane or 3rd lane where they are not allowed. Frickin hate some of these idiots

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again!

Caveat - there are too many poor drivers and riders here. I am not defending them all. Specific to this case, the rider was not doing anything technically or legally wrong. However all riders have the legal right to lane-split, and all your car journeys would be longer if that was not the case.

It is irrelevant to the law and to any ethical model if anyone hates what bikers do here. Lane splitting is legal - get over it. Without lane splitting, riding a bike would offer no benefit and there would be more cars on the roads, so be grateful for the risk others take that you benefit from.

It is morally abhorrent to suggest that anyone doing something legal but not liked or annoying should be convicted and physically punished by the observer/recipient/general population. Splitting lanes is legal (did we deal with that yet?), changing gears is legal, changing lanes to keep going is legal, accelerating (revving up) and deaccelerating (revving down) are also legal and expected. 

Chasing a bike, or a car, and just tailgating is bad, let alone trying to bump them in frustration cannot be excused under any circumstance. The consequences of the potential accident are too extreme to consider. The driver was in two lanes and was reminded by the rider. He took umbrage to an action that was benign and non-threatening and responded with two acts of violence that could harm the rider.

Once off the bike I think the rider was an idiot to respond as he did, but up to that point he had the legal and moral highground. As for using a car and then a knife, the professor is a complete douche. The second use of the car and the use of a knife are premeditated and should be treated as such.

I guess your perception of who was driving/riding badly will depend on which form of conveyance you prefer. As a car driver, I perceive the bikey to be riding aggressively. 

As to what happened after the motoring incident, all I can say is a younger man protected by leathers and a crash helmet should not go around throwing punches and kicks at a much older and smaller guy wearing glasses, regardless of what went on before. I think if the bikey approached my car in such an aggressive fashion, I too would have grabbed the nearest thing I could to protect myself. 

1 minute ago, DualSportBiker said:

Here we go again!

Caveat - there are too many poor drivers and riders here. I am not defending them all. Specific to this case, the rider was not doing anything technically or legally wrong. However all riders have the legal right to lane-split, and all your car journeys would be longer if that was not the case.

It is irrelevant to the law and to any ethical model if anyone hates what bikers do here. Lane splitting is legal - get over it. Without lane splitting, riding a bike would offer no benefit and there would be more cars on the roads, so be grateful for the risk others take that you benefit from.

It is morally abhorrent to suggest that anyone doing something legal but not liked or annoying should be convicted and physically punished by the observer/recipient/general population. Splitting lanes is legal (did we deal with that yet?), changing gears is legal, changing lanes to keep going is legal, accelerating (revving up) and deaccelerating (revving down) are also legal and expected. 

Chasing a bike, or a car, and just tailgating is bad, let alone trying to bump them in frustration cannot be excused under any circumstance. The consequences of the potential accident are too extreme to consider. The driver was in two lanes and was reminded by the rider. He took umbrage to an action that was benign and non-threatening and responded with two acts of violence that could harm the rider.

Once off the bike I think the rider was an idiot to respond as he did, but up to that point he had the legal and moral highground. As for using a car and then a knife, the professor is a complete douche. The second use of the car and the use of a knife are premeditated and should be treated as such.

Understood.  But I'm not so sure if a cop here reviewed the bikers moves he would call them all legal.  There are laws here about tailgating, quick lane changes, slow traffic, etc.

Too many times I've signaled to move left, only to see a bike undercutting me.  No signal, no quarter, etc.  It's very hard to see scooters undercutting you.  Or, splitting lanes at high speeds.

3 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

I guess your perception of who was driving/riding badly will depend on which form of conveyance you prefer. As a car driver, I perceive the bikey to be riding aggressively. 

As to what happened after the motoring incident, all I can say is a younger man protected by leathers and a crash helmet should not go around throwing punches and kicks at a much older and smaller guy wearing glasses, regardless of what went on before. I think if the bikey approached my car in such an aggressive fashion, I too would have grabbed the nearest thing I could to protect myself. 

You think that is a leather t-shirt? What is the higher level of aggression, a big man using his fist or a small man using his car as a weapon?

A nutty Professor and a idiotic driving Bi

5 hours ago, Thian said:

That nutty professor deserves much more sever beating. And look at him, never thought that tiny guys like that could be so agressive in traffic.  He's a complete idiot.

You forget the stupid driving Biker, so its a Idiot Meeting:coffee1:

I think a car driver's perception is likely affected by the noise of the bike. That particular bike is a high-revving powerful bike and the mic is on the engine... 

As a longtime rider in Bangkok's traffic I can assure you that riding slightly aggressively is the only way to survive. Car drivers will cut up a bike without a second thought unless the bike is moving confidently and/or is bright and/or is loud. Any mistake made by either is paid for by the rider (not financially, but physically.) 

I don't condone the riders response, but he was wearing a t-shirt... but that is besides the point. The prof used a car as a weapon and a weapon. Both are inexcusable.

20 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

Edited by DualSportBiker

But that is the point right, it is up to the police to deal with any infractions of the driving code. The only role a citizen should have is the reporting of an incident. Judgement and sentence is the role of authorities...

As for the law, it contains so many contradictions it is clearly designed for wiggle room for the authorities to decide as they see fit for each case - that should be a surprise to nobody. For example, how do you lane split without tailgating first?

You'd see me if I was on your left - 3,900 lumens at mirror height. But I'd be smiling under my helmet... and only passing on the left if you were hogging the right lane :)

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Understood.  But I'm not so sure if a cop here reviewed the bikers moves he would call them all legal.  There are laws here about tailgating, quick lane changes, slow traffic, etc.

Too many times I've signaled to move left, only to see a bike undercutting me.  No signal, no quarter, etc.  It's very hard to see scooters undercutting you.  Or, splitting lanes at high speeds.

both in the wrong, biker was taking quite a few risks lane splitting, it is ok as long as it is safe to do so, at the corner he undercut the car as well, was he visible to the driver, that is one major question. Another thai law states bikes are supposed to stay in the left hand lane, in this case he only did that just before the fight, problems in Thailand are that many of these idiots that try to do all these moves at speed without knowing what the car is going to do, while legal here it is not overseas as it is considered too dangerous, was the bike indicating all his moves, I doubt it very much. Cars and bikes have a very bad habit of not letting other road users know what they are going to do(can be seen everyday when a bike passes you on the lefft then tries to turn in front of you when you are going straight ahead), this doesnt help at all. both are in the wrong but the fight was the bikers fault, he bashed up a smaller old guy with glasses, that in itself is a cowardly act, no wonder he grabbed the knife to defend himself but that too was not the smartest thing to do, once again we see face and and making oneself out to be a "big" man  showing how pathetic some thai males really are. No excuses for the way either behaved

You seem to avoid mentioning the car driver trying to hit the bike two times. Is that an act of bravery? or how do you factor that? How about the coma from the stab wound?

Oh BTW, lane splitting is legal here.  Overseas is irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, seajae said:

both in the wrong, biker was taking quite a few risks lane splitting, it is ok as long as it is safe to do so, at the corner he undercut the car as well, was he visible to the driver, that is one major question. Another thai law states bikes are supposed to stay in the left hand lane, in this case he only did that just before the fight, problems in Thailand are that many of these idiots that try to do all these moves at speed without knowing what the car is going to do, while legal here it is not overseas as it is considered too dangerous, was the bike indicating all his moves, I doubt it very much. Cars and bikes have a very bad habit of not letting other road users know what they are going to do(can be seen everyday when a bike passes you on the lefft then tries to turn in front of you when you are going straight ahead), this doesnt help at all. both are in the wrong but the fight was the bikers fault, he bashed up a smaller old guy with glasses, that in itself is a cowardly act, no wonder he grabbed the knife to defend himself but that too was not the smartest thing to do, once again we see face and and making oneself out to be a "big" man  showing how pathetic some thai males really are. No excuses for the way either behaved

what is the Thai traffic establishment definition for lane-splitting?

WRT up to what speed is it legally permitted, as above and beyond that designated speed, it can no longer be referred to as lane splitting; 

but more of a rapid ever-repeating lane change, and lane stealing

at the very beginning of that video, an I to assume the up-his-bum tailgater was the same vehicle?

12 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

You seem to avoid mentioning the car driver trying to hit the bike two times. Is that an act of bravery? or how do you factor that? How about the coma from the stab wound?

Oh BTW, lane splitting is legal here.  Overseas is irrelevant. 

you ignore the fact the rider was not indicating what he was going to do and not doing it when safe to do so, ,I ride and drive so I see both sides,  the rider was not riding safely or indicating his moves as well as going way to close to the cars, all illegal here, he was also outside the left lane, also against thai laws. The old fart was also in the wrong but so was the biker, both should be charged, as for the biker, there is no excuse to ride like that, he was lucky he wasnt  cleaned up by a car changing lanes or moving over slightly in the lane they were in, the only ones that cant see that the rider was also at fault or riding badly  are those that ride the same way, some of these idiots have death wishes the way they ride, the laws are there to be followed, neither was doing that

Edited by seajae

30 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

But that is the point right, it is up to the police to deal with any infractions of the driving code. The only role a citizen should have is the reporting of an incident. Judgement and sentence is the role of authorities...

As for the law, it contains so many contradictions it is clearly designed for wiggle room for the authorities to decide as they see fit for each case - that should be a surprise to nobody. For example, how do you lane split without tailgating first?

You'd see me if I was on your left - 3,900 lumens at mirror height. But I'd be smiling under my helmet... and only passing on the left if you were hogging the right lane :)

Perfect!!!!

5 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

He wasn't riding like a dick, wasn't going fast, just filtering through traffic - what everyone does on bikes here. 

Just like most of the d--k head motorcycle drivers here do.  Empty brains!

Then punching and, of course, kicking the man when he was down.  Surprised he didn't wait for his gang to show up, then they could all kick the man while he was down - favorite hobby here!

Edited by snooky

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Can't see it being Professors fault 

If these bikers want to play with their lives by zig zaging & trying to squeeze between cars It's up to them

It's clear as day on the bikes camera

I deal with this every day - Motor bikes on the inside when U turning

- On coming motor bikes with also bikes on my left ( where the hell do they think I shoul go), or do I take out the one that is in the wrong (the one coming at me )

It was clear as day the car cut up the motorbike, he deserved a slap for that. The left lane is for  motorbikes.

1 hour ago, Sakeopete said:

Lane splitting is legal in Thailand and every motorcycle does it. The Nutty Professor should be used to this by now. Both reacted poorly but I side with the biker. He was the one put in danger by the car driver. 

Not sure what you mean by lane splitting. Which law refers to it and what does it state?

If the vehicle in front of you slows or stops and you hit it, it's your fault. No argument. Clearly the biker should not have been so close behind the car. Suicidal.

13 minutes ago, chrissables said:

It was clear as day the car cut up the motorbike, he deserved a slap for that. The left lane is for  motorbikes.

The left is NOT solely for motorbikes. In this case it is for traffic turning left, as indicated by the arrow on the road.

So what do you suggest as a penalty for not signalling? Being run off the road? Bumped from behind in heavy traffic? Keep trying until you make contact? What about extra points if you knock them under a truck?

You can't see the turn signals on that dash, nor his hands. But regardless, let's say you are right and he did not signal. Do you think it acceptable that those committing minor traffic offenses should be put at physical risk in retaliation? Your response to "he used his car as a weapon" is "the rider did not use his signals" What do you suggest if his headlight is out?

As for 'no excuse to ride like that' I beg to differ. If you are going to pass a car in traffic on a bike, get it over and done with and get into a space where you are more visible. Lane splitting is legal, but that does not mean it is as safe as other positions on the road. Pass, be visible, pass again. If the cars are nose to tail, just keep passing, but try and make yourself visible or audible at all times.

32 minutes ago, seajae said:

you ignore the fact the rider was not indicating what he was going to do and not doing it when safe to do so, ,I ride and drive so I see both sides,  the rider was not riding safely or indicating his moves as well as going way to close to the cars, all illegal here, he was also outside the left lane, also against thai laws. The old fart was also in the wrong but so was the biker, both should be charged, as for the biker, there is no excuse to ride like that, he was lucky he wasnt  cleaned up by a car changing lanes or moving over slightly in the lane they were in, the only ones that cant see that the rider was also at fault or riding badly  are those that ride the same way, some of these idiots have death wishes the way they ride, the laws are there to be followed, neither was doing that

2 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

So what do you suggest as a penalty for not signalling? Being run off the road? Bumped from behind in heavy traffic? Keep trying until you make contact? What about extra points if you knock them under a truck?

You can't see the turn signals on that dash, nor his hands. But regardless, let's say you are right and he did not signal. Do you think it acceptable that those committing minor traffic offenses should be put at physical risk in retaliation? Your response to "he used his car as a weapon" is "the rider did not use his signals" What do you suggest if his headlight is out?

As for 'no excuse to ride like that' I beg to differ. If you are going to pass a car in traffic on a bike, get it over and done with and get into a space where you are more visible. Lane splitting is legal, but that does not mean it is as safe as other positions on the road. Pass, be visible, pass again. If the cars are nose to tail, just keep passing, but try and make yourself visible or audible at all times.

Clearly he was driving selfishly and not trying to indicate or match speed of the traffic zigging in and out. Lane splitting isn't a problem, but you don't drive like the other cars are slalom poles for your entertainment.

That being said, the old guy did deserve the punch in the face for the attempted bump. And the bike driver also accepted the risk of being killed when he confronted the driver. He's lucky it wasn't a gun or a baseball bat.

5 hours ago, halloween said:

So somebody in a car should kill him, right?

He'll probably manage that all by himself...

He was driving like a dick - no disputing that, weaving in and out of traffic, overtaking on the inside and travelling much faster than the other bikers he flew past. Probably gave the poor old prof the shock of his life zooming up his near side at such speed.

I didn't see any jolt in the bikers camera footage, so where is it evident that the prof rear ended the biker, he simply drove up close to make a point he was peed off. A bit of road rage - big deal! 6 and half a dozen IMHO.

In the confrontation the biker was the aggressor, yanking open the car door in a threatening manner.

Guys who ride big bikes tend to take a lot of steroids and thus roid rage. The first blow to the face comes from the biker and everything past that point is really self defense. Biker didn't take his helmet off meaning he was there to fight so it is his own damn fault he is permanently injured

You better keep yourself out of trouble, not going after trouble. 

This is Thailand and a big percentage of motorcycles drive like that. 

As long as no accident placed you need to keep it cool otherwise that is what happens. I keep in mind every time I drive a car or a motorcycle. 

1 hour ago, jbob said:

Guys who ride big bikes tend to take a lot of steroids and thus roid rage. The first blow to the face comes from the biker and everything past that point is really self defense. Biker didn't take his helmet off meaning he was there to fight so it is his own damn fault he is permanently injured

"Guys who ride big bikes tend to take a lot of steroids and thus roid rage"   Absolute BS. I have ridden big bikes, and small, for 48 years, and the only substance I have ever seen or heard of being injected by my many fellow riders was insulin - 2 of them were diabetics.

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

ok; thanks for providing it; seems clearcut that the car was the initial provoking cause by unsafe, purposeless tailgating and the secondary as well by stopping and cutting off the biker

haa haaaaa