Chula Retracts Statement Sliming Student, Yet Bad Taste Lingers

snoop1130

Chula Retracts Statement Sliming Student, Yet Bad Taste Lingers

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

20621978_1509312489132776_744801608215356286_n-696x464.jpg

Reungwit Bunjongrat holds a fourth-year student Supalak Damrongjit in a headlock Thursday at Chulalongkorn University. Photo: Netiwit Chotiphatchaisal

BANGKOK — Chulalongkorn University offered a muddled response over the weekend to controversy over a professor placing a student in a chokehold during a freshman initiation ceremony.

First, the university published Saturday an English-language statement blaming a student by name for the incident and claiming he was taken to a police station. It was deleted the following day and replaced with an apology citing an “inaccurate translation.”

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/08/07/chula-retracts-statement-sliming-student-yet-bad-taste-lingers/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-8-7

44 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It is possibly a usage error. "Sliming" vs "smearing".

Dictonary.com is your friend.

Slang definitions & phrases for slime

slime

noun

slimebag: ''I think he's a slime,'' Louise Hartley said (1950s+)

verb

1. Denigrate harshly and often falsely; smear: James Earl Jones gets slimed (1990s+)
  2. To speak in an unctuous and cajoling way: ''May I personally take your order, Mr Goodman,'' he slimed (1990s+)

I am 47. I am a native speaker of English. That is the first time I have seen the verb "to slime" used in this way. However, I am aware that languages constantly evolve. It does not appear in my 1980 Little Oxford Dictionary. I will see how this situation develops.

"First, the university published Saturday an English-language statement blaming a student by name for the incident and claiming he was taken to a police station. It was deleted the following day and replaced with an apology citing an “inaccurate translation.”

The country's premier university.