How to apply for schools based on location in Bangkok?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to teach English at a school in Bangkok that is near the BTS or MRT starting in October. Convenience is the biggest factor, even more important than pay. I am locked into a lease at an MRT stop and would like to work at a school that has an easy commute near a train. I see many schools by train stops, but I do not know how they hire. Some do direct hire, some do through an agency. I'm not sure how to ask about English positions in October. I can easily find a position in Bangkok, but the preference is near a train stop (within 1 km.)

I believe I am quite hire-able as well; I have education degrees from the USA, a TEFL Certificate, and am a certified teacher in the US. I prefer government schools as well, but fine with anything. 

What is the best way to go about finding a position in October for schools along MRT/BTS? Do I walk in and ask about applying? How do I find agencies with schools on a train stop?   

You may not find too many schools with openings near MRT/BTS stops. But many schools are located a short moto or taxi ride away from said stops.I used to take a boat, then a train, then a moto taxi to school. It's not that big an issue.

1) Go to Ajarn.com and look for openings.

2) Put on clean shirt and tie and walk into schools you are interested in at least 3 weeks before start of semester.

I would avoid agencies as they are generally not going to pay enough with and ED degree.

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

You may not find too many schools with openings near MRT/BTS stops. But many schools are located a short moto or taxi ride away from said stops.I used to take a boat, then a train, then a moto taxi to school. It's not that big an issue.

1) Go to Ajarn.com and look for openings.

2) Put on clean shirt and tie and walk into schools you are interested in at least 3 weeks before start of semester.

I would avoid agencies as they are generally not going to pay enough with and ED degree.

Thanks! Yeah, I do see many are not too far via bike. I suppose my biggest concern is cost, if I take the train and then the motorbike, could be over 100 baht/day for transit. Also concerned with commute length, I'm fine with under an hour but concerned about the heat and coming to school so sweaty if I have to exhaust myself daily on the commute. Really appreciate the response.

4 minutes ago, thedan663 said:

Thanks! Yeah, I do see many are not too far via bike. I suppose my biggest concern is cost, if I take the train and then the motorbike, could be over 100 baht/day for transit. Also concerned with commute length, I'm fine with under an hour but concerned about the heat and coming to school so sweaty if I have to exhaust myself daily on the commute. Really appreciate the response.

Don't worry about sweat...if you teach in government schools only about 1/2 of rooms will have AC...so get used to sweating.

Cost...yeah 2500 baht a month is about my limit too...but doable. You can always get yourself a bike eventually to save commuting costs if you find a school you really want to stay at.

Also you should focus on whether you want to teach primary or secondary school. Huge differences there. good Luck

Your concern should be more with living costs than a 100 baht a day commute. Nice condos and apartments are not cheap, especially close to the centre of town. I work in Nonthaburi and some students just walk from their condo over the road into the school gate:) Accommodation is much cheaper outside of central BKK. It;s worth to be flexible. 

Rubbish. Accommodation is roughly the same everywhere it's just that outside BKK you get more space. I have a rockin flat 650m to the MRT just on the tip of what I consider the heart of BKK. Paying 5k. No, that's not anywhere close to nasty On Nut.

Depends on what you mean by near BTS MRT lines. I'd say youre nearly always going to be walking 1-1.5km.

You should absolutely limit your commute to 70mins maximum. Half in public transportation, half walking. My limit is 60.  

Google up the school and then figure out how many mins walk from transit line. Then add your transit time and walk to the MRT.

Also depends where your walking. My new school I'm doing a lovely walk, even if rainy but this is rare. At another school I walked about 1.5km it wasn't so lovely, but under 30min.

When you go for the interview, time the door to door.

Another thing to consider aside from pay and location is the school "brand". You looking to build a resume or just pay the rent.

If you have a teaching license you can make decent money. Well enough to pay for transit to and from work. 

Only work at public schools with full 12 month contract or for you a middle tier Intl school. Do not work at a lower tier Intl. Do not work for an agency in any capacity no matter what!

Send me your resume if it shines. I'll ask about. Do you have experience teaching ESL to teens? You're licenced in states?

On 8/8/2017 at 0:31 PM, tonray said:

This is the 'cough' old skool way of doing it and if you want a specific location the only way. 

Take copies of your CV and qualifications. Enjoy!! 

3 hours ago, angsta said:

This is the 'cough' old skool way of doing it and if you want a specific location the only way. 

Take copies of your CV and qualifications. Enjoy!! 

This is a total waste of energy and time...and MONEY. This is the stupidest advice I've read here in weeks.

It might be applicable to your neighborhood as a start, but that's it. There's are reasonably good school ten minute walk from my flat but a notoriously shitty agency 'western management' (always run when you hear/read that) has the contract. Further, it's just average. In fact the brand probably carries it farther, much farther than it deserves. After my first year and a blowout with the same insane agency I've no interest in working there or anywhere near my place! Each year the Ss look more troublesome as well.

I've no issue slogging an hour to work and back for a good job, good pay and good kids. No problem. I bet I'm at least ten years older than most of you.

Screw that, I want to be proud of where I work and I'm certainly no Fing wage slave AND I ain't never workin for bad pay ever again. Ever.

It's a yob...kill yourself. Big standard. Feel so sorry for students. 

Yeah, got this you by walking in circles, every school I came across I just wandered in.

Obviously not anyone remotely looking to build a resume or interested in teaching as a profession. 30k is exactly what this lot deserves.

If this is the amount of effort expended to get the job. Imagine the kids will have hell to pay.

The guy simply wants to work near transit. You don't have to go all full lazy ass teacher on him.

Archived