Firefox 55: look before you leap!

bendejo

Upgraded to FF 55.  Noticed that my status bar icons were gone.  Ok, the status bar was taken away long ago, but some of us have kept it using the Status-4-Evar add-on.  The status bar is very handy for handling things like ad blockers, cookie cleaners etc.  So I diddled a bit, spent about 10 minutes -- the gray bar on the bottom is there, but in Customize will not let me attach anything. 

So it's off for a search.  Looks like this is the shape of things to come, with a grand arrival in November.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-cannot-downgrade-firefox-55-profiles/

Well, I had a busy day ahead and was not in a patient mood so I restored my FF back to 54.0.1 and will hold off on looking into this for now: it's only been out for a day, there will definitely be more net chatter on this real soon.  For those of you on auto-upgrade who want to go back, I suggest you restore not only the executable directory, but also your settings:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Edited by bendejo

Mozilla have been steadily screwing up Firefox over the last few years. Removing support for Silverlight a few months back on their main release has left me having to use a soon to be end of life branch of FF.

There are other flavours of FF that I will need to look into.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

9 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Whats a status bar and why is it so important ?

He probably talks about the "bookmark bar" and yes it happened for me too.

All favicons are gone and addtionally, my dark theme was disabled.

Sucks... :((

ff-icons.png.f923b0e685e677e6daf69f0592060d45.png

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out the author(s) of Status-4-Evar are still at work, and the current beta of the add-in works with current FF version, 55.0.2 64-bit version in Windows.  Reportedly no so good for 32-bit FF.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2001965&sid=a9df578592dfaf3fdc70f362debb5e1e&start=2265

Back in the day when I was using Firefox if an add on wasn't supported because of the version you could save the addon file to desktop then use winzip to open the XPI and one of the files if opened with a text file has something along the line of MAXVersion, you can juts changed this to a higher value than the current FF version and it would be fine to install.

I have had to move to Chrome now because like Jasethebass says they slowly been screwing it up, sync doesnt work correctly, add ons cannot be added to the toolbar.

Chrome just works