Gprs

phuketrichard

anyone out there know some information on sim cards to use for gprs? I live in kamala and have been using a DTAC sim card for use in my Tegino wireless modem to go online. For the past 2 weeks I can't access and have complained again and again to Dtac in bangkok. They say its broken ( I know that) and they will fix it. Then 4 days later they call and say that it is fixed and I try and !!! nope so I have to call them again.

I pay 1,335 baht/month for this and its SLOOOWWWW when it works. I am currently using my ais sim card and much better but no idea how much it will cost me. ;-(

Anyone know other mobile operators offering sim cards for GPRS use ONLY ( not making calls) and what the price is?

Thanks.

Thanks but quick question.

I work online,marketing and se stuff and running my own sites. I average about 4 hours/day changing sites/ uploading new pages and edits, emails and such

what is 1 kb?? How do I compute that to real time?

I dont think GPRS is cost effective enough for your needs. especially when it comes to uploading and editing pages. you'd be better off with using your phone as a modem at 9600bps I only use my laptop & gprs for IM when i'm out and about. If i need to look at web pages, i'll dialup to an ISP.

But then again, it is handy to keep in touch whilst you're on the beach.

Hi phuketrichard,

1 MB = 1024 kb, so if you pay 1 Satang for each Kb, 1 Mb cost you about 10.24 THB. That is expensive, because 1 MB is not much. I recommend you to install a web traffic monitor for example Bandwidth Monitor Pro, then you can check how many MB a day is your usual traffic.

I assume you dont have a normal Telephone Line. In that case, maybe you check out IPSTAR, that is a 2 way Sat Connection. It`s quicker then GPRS and cheaper too. There 1 MB is about 2.5 THB. The prices start monthly about 3000 THB including 750MB Traffic (750MB with AIS GPRS / 1 Satang for each KB= 7168 THB) . Wattana Computer in Pattaya told me last week, the setup fee is now about 10000 THB.

Of course, that solution is not a mobile technique.

Sorry for my poor english, hope you understand all.

ipstar with csinternet

Thanks.

I don't have any options :o

I don't have a lnad line at my house.

For some reason my dtac is working today as I complained to the gm yesterday so maybe they got off their ass.

For 1,300/month with 24/7 its not a bad deal compared to what else is out there and I cna be anywhere in thailand. WHEN IT WORKS!!