Looking for a New Dash Cam. Any recommendation?

Nordlys

12 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

As you will never know, it's a lot smarter to buy a cheaper one and replace it when burnt.

I was torn between 5 - 6,000 Baht dash cam and below 2,000 Baht models but now gravitating toward the cheaper one.  Some of you mentioned Xiaomi Yi and it's video looks amazing even at night for a 1,600 Baht cam.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

My dashcam 

7 inches can see the video back clearly. - HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology provides sharp images even in low light night. - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System). To prevent sleep apnea - FCWS (Forward Collision Warning System). It beeps when driving close to the vehicle in front too - Motion Detection recording automatically when motion - G-sensor detects vibration when there is an accident in order to prevent file loss (adjustable vibration requires a separate camera. file) - image Distortion Correction balance reduces twisting of the picture - a wide angle lens 170 degrees - a port, the HDMI - the Support the GPS can speed driving to the video recording. And you can check the driving route back (Price excludes GPS Module) - Car Plate Number Input can identify your vehicle license plate in the log file. - High stability. And the heat is excellent.

resolution:  2304X1296P  16mg pixel

Aperture:  1.7

In my opinion better than the ones proposed to you till now..for I've looked all over the internet before buying it :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/rizer-g98c-sd-card-32-gb-class10-1760388.html?spm=a2o4l.order-details.0.0.P5ZrTO

How does this attach to the windshield?  Suction mount?

10 hours ago, Nordlys said:

Lazada link provided (the website can be changed to English), states below items are included:

What's in the box:

• Car Camera G98C
  • Car charger
  • Windshield Suction Panel
  • USB cable
  • User manual
  • Kingston SD CARD 32 GB (Class 10)
  • Warranty

On 2017/8/12 at 8:23 PM, ThailandTom1 said:
If your looking for a dash cam to use in Thailand then you need one that uses a capacitor as the backup battery. Batteries do not last long in high temperatures which a dash cam in a car in Thailand would be exposed too. All the cheap dash cams have the backup batteries. I believe most or all of the top of the range blackvue dash cams use a capacitor. Transcend do good dashcams and the drivepro200 which is available from powerbuy has a capacitor the others don't. Buy a cheap one and they will not last so long.

How important is this and what good does the built-in battery do? One I use now turns off immediately after I turn the engine off.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by Nordlys

On 2017/8/12 at 5:36 PM, umbanda said:

Lazada delivery to home or post office, not advance payment or shipping charges. Good service and easy return and refund if necessary trough 7/11. Love Lazada for few years already.

Not quite decided yet but was about to give Xiaomi Yi a try via Lazada since it looks too good to be true for 1,699 Baht then I noticed just about everything listed on Lazada says the promotional price ends today. I suppose that's not really the case? And their 14 days return policy... do they really honor that and accept return for ANY reason no matter what?

Edited by Nordlys

3 hours ago, Nordlys said:

Not quite decided yet but was about to give Xiaomi Yi a try via Lazada since it looks too good to be true for 1,699 Baht then I noticed just about everything listed on Lazada says the promotional price ends today. I suppose that's not really the case? And their 14 days return policy... do they really honor that and accept return for ANY reason no matter what?

You'll know if the promotion price ends today or not when you eventually decide to buy it, and yes, Lazada accepts all returns, whatever the reason, within 14 days.

7 hours ago, Nordlys said:

yes... 1699 thb... we understand that you need to think more !

23 hours ago, Nordlys said:

Many taxi drivers have their cam clipped or otherwise attached to the rear view mirror.

My  suction mounted cam hasn't fallen off after 6 months, yet.

12 hours ago, Nordlys said:

How important is this and what good does the built-in battery do? One I use now turns off immediately after I turn the engine off.

Mine turns off a few seconds after switching ignition off. I think the batteries are only there to save settings and data and not so much for recording or playback. Capacitors so much more for that only. Capacitors, especially the size that would be in the unit, don't have the current capacity to run the camera, its only for settings backup.

I discovered this when I had a small accident and when I tried to show police video footage the cam battery went flat in a few seconds. For this I bought a micro SD card reader that plugs into my iPhone and it is in card in case needed/

The Thai Made ones have 6Inch Nails not Suction Pads.Seriously though when my posh one fails, ill give an 850 Bht Tesco one a go.OK, no bells n whistles but the repros good as mine.Chum bought one then got 500Bht of his insurance, so rather cheep in the end.!!

4 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Am I the only one who keep his dashcams connected to powerbanks ? It's the only smart way to use them, and they never stop except when I unplug.

The chance that a dashcam turns off in case of accident is so high, that it's plain stupid to use them like most "normal" people.

1 minute ago, bberrythailand said:

The chance that a dashcam turns off in case of accident is so high, that it's plain stupid to use them like most "normal" people.

If the accident causes the battery of the vehicle to be destroyed then you have more issue on hand than a non functioning camera, which would have recorded the accident anyways.

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

If the accident causes the battery of the vehicle to be destroyed then you have more issue on hand than a non functioning camera, which would have recorded the accident anyways.

Whatever, it is still plain stupid when knowing that webcams perfectly work on powerbanks and also record when parked.

7 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

Whatever, it is still plain stupid when knowing that webcams perfectly work on powerbanks and also record when parked.

Yeah my webcam  is powered by the computer it is plugged into, not sure how I would power it by a powerbank or why I would need to.

13 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Mine turns off a few seconds after switching ignition off. I think the batteries are only there to save settings and data and not so much for recording or playback. Capacitors so much more for that only. Capacitors, especially the size that would be in the unit, don't have the current capacity to run the camera, its only for settings backup.

I discovered this when I had a small accident and when I tried to show police video footage the cam battery went flat in a few seconds. For this I bought a micro SD card reader that plugs into my iPhone and it is in card in case needed/

So I should be looking for one with a capacitor built-in rather than a battery?  How do I know which does it come with?  :unsure:

Edited by Nordlys

What do you think of this one?  

http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/ontheroad/gdr-e560/

http://www.lazada.co.th/garmin-gdr-e560-33930708.html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.8Pch4Q&ff=1

7,290 Baht from Lazada...  a bit more than I was willing to pay for a dash cam.  Is the price worthy of the spec or am I simply paying premium for name brand?  Does name brand translate to better service, warranty and durability?  

I like it partly because it's very small and less conspicuous.  Size is important to me because I'll have a limited space to which I can attach the dash cam (lower right hand corner just above the dashboard).  :sleep:

And some dash cam claim to feature Sony image sensor.  How does that compare with non-Sony sensor dash cam?  

Edited by Nordlys

9 hours ago, Nordlys said:

What do you think of this one?  

http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/ontheroad/gdr-e560/

http://www.lazada.co.th/garmin-gdr-e560-33930708.html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.8Pch4Q&ff=1

7,290 Baht from Lazada...  a bit more than I was willing to pay for a dash cam.  Is the price worthy of the spec or am I simply paying premium for name brand?  Does name brand translate to better service, warranty and durability?  

I like it partly because it's very small and less conspicuous.  Size is important to me because I'll have a limited space to which I can attach the dash cam (lower right hand corner just above the dashboard).  :sleep:

And some dash cam claim to feature Sony image sensor.  How does that compare with non-Sony sensor dash cam?  

I like the WiFi link to your phone to save videos feature of this cam. Always concerned in a road rage incident some one may see cam and try to take it, especially in this country of saving face. They know I have saved their face in the cam and they might want it back. :smile:

As I have had people go around me and hit me as I have turned I prefer to have a dual, but separate, rear camera. That way the videos are synched and I am recording out of the back window not via the whole care as is the case of many dual camera units where the second cam is in the main unit. Just my preference. This is the one I have:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-1080P-Car-DVR-Dual-Lens-Video-Recorder-Night-Vision-Camera-Rearview-Dash-Cam/122505823555?hash=item1c85ea8543%3Ag%3AsRgAAOSwYlRZH-t2

Edited by Dazinoz

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

May answer some of your questions:-

https://dashcameras.net/battery-vs-capacitor/

Thanks for those links!  

It sounds like it's worth paying extra for capacitor-integrated dash cam over battery.  But from what price threshold do dash cams tend to come with capacitors?  I'm not even sure if I can read the catalogue spec... but 1,699 Baht Xiaomi Yi says "240mAh Li-Polymer", does that mean it has no integrated capacitor but a battery?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

I like the WiFi link to your phone to save videos feature of this cam. Always concerned in a road rage incident some one may see cam and try to take it, especially in this country of saving face. They know I have saved their face in the cam and they might want it back. :smile:

As I have had people go around me and hit me as I have turned I prefer to have a dual, but separate, rear camera. That way the videos are synched and I am recording out of the back window not via the whole care as is the case of many dual camera units where the second cam is in the main unit. Just my preference. This is the one I have:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-1080P-Car-DVR-Dual-Lens-Video-Recorder-Night-Vision-Camera-Rearview-Dash-Cam/122505823555?hash=item1c85ea8543%3Ag%3AsRgAAOSwYlRZH-t2

Can you elaborate how that happened?  

Dual camera dash cam sounds interesting but I actually want one that's not separate but all-in-one-unit cam with front and rear dual cameras that works in parking mode for my car was once broken in and had goods worth over 30,000 Baht stolen while in an open, unattended parking.  Is there any such camera that records interior of the car as well as front exterior?  I also don't like the extra wiring of the rear camera and attaching anything with a suction mount on film surface (otherwise have to remove the film, make hole and reattach).  

Edited by Nordlys

55 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

It sounds like it's worth paying extra for capacitor-integrated dash cam over battery.  But from what price threshold do dash cams tend to come with capacitors?  I'm not even sure if I can read the catalogue spec... but 1,699 Baht Xiaomi Yi says "240mAh Li-Polymer", does that mean it has no integrated capacitor but a battery?  :unsure:

Well it has a battery but not sure about a capacitor but very much doubt it.