Looking for a New Dash Cam. Any recommendation?

Nordlys

On 8/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, giddyup said:

Hasn't this topic been done to death?

First one I've read so no.  People need different things at different times and with any form of technology it changes constantly, so an up to date thread with new information is always welcome.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, gmac said:

First one I've read so no.  People need different things at different times and with any form of technology it changes constantly, so an up to date thread with new information is always welcome.

Just keep this post running indefinitely for any new technology updates.:saai:

Edited by giddyup

3 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Yeah that will work but $30.00 from Ebay and installed myself was a lot cheaper.

They sell in Thailand:

http://www.vicovation.com/buy.asp?L1=5&L2=29&lang=eng

M2M Products

ADDRESS: 111/1 SIAMESE BLOSSM@FASHION THANON RATCHADA-RAM INTRA, KHAN NA YAO, BANGKOK 10230

PHONE: (+66)02-136-7688

E-MAIL: [email protected]

Lazada Thailand
 Dashcam Thailand
 Thai DVRs

PHONE:

NKDashCamshop

PHONE:

Edited by bberrythailand

5 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

They sell in Thailand:

http://www.vicovation.com/buy.asp?L1=5&L2=29&lang=eng

M2M Products

ADDRESS: 111/1 SIAMESE BLOSSM@FASHION THANON RATCHADA-RAM INTRA, KHAN NA YAO, BANGKOK 10230

PHONE: (+66)02-136-7688

E-MAIL: [email protected]

Lazada Thailand
 Dashcam Thailand
 Thai DVRs

PHONE:

NKDashCamshop

PHONE:

Yeah thanks for all the links but Iam very happy with my Blackvue power magic thingo that was a lot cheaper than your vico thing, I see no need to change it.

Edited by Techno Viking

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Nordlys said:

My dash cam came in thin, smooth rubberized skin which had become very coarse and sticky over the years.  

Depending how much it bugs you and if you get satisfaction in fixing things, you could spray paint the rubbery skin and get rid of the sticky feel.

Clean off as much sticky stuff as you can with washing up liquid then when dry spray with grey primer. If you can remove the actual camera from the skin all the better for a neat job, if not some detailed masking will do.

Here's one I did earlier:-   59982b7fd3ccd_PaintedTorch.jpg.8ba9b3d02ef4bac3de1ace257641bd16.jpg 

Obviously not a camera but the principle is the same. The grey is what was the sticky rubber stuff. If grey is not your color you can overspray with whatever suits you.

:smile:

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Depending how much it bugs you and if you get satisfaction in fixing things, you could spray paint the rubbery skin and get rid of the sticky feel.

Clean off as much sticky stuff as you can with washing up liquid then when dry spray with grey primer. If you can remove the actual camera from the skin all the better for a neat job, if not some detailed masking will do.

Here's one I did earlier:-   59982b7fd3ccd_PaintedTorch.jpg.8ba9b3d02ef4bac3de1ace257641bd16.jpg 

Obviously not a camera but the principle is the same. The grey is what was the sticky rubber stuff. If grey is not your color you can overspray with whatever suits you.

:smile:

Daffy, thanks for all that but it's not just the skin but the shell is also cracked up from the pressure applied to it while my wife carried it in her bag during car wash, exposing the the mainboard inside.  Also making the LCD panel difficult to flip open and close.  After 4 years I decided it's not worth doing anything but just keep using it until I settled on what dash cam to replace next or just wait till the existing high end models price to come down.  Surprisingly it never failed in such a state and the built-in battery is still working after 4 years in Thailand (bought in Japan).  

But I might try that with one of my Canon binoculars.  It's too bad that it got so greasy and sticky (almost like hot asphalt) that I gave up on using it despite nothing wrong with its optics.    

until I settled on what dash cam to replace next or just wait till the existing high end models price to come down.

So this search could continue for years to come? Just buy something already!

I just went to a shop called DashcamThailand in Minburi whose owner speaks fairly good English, almost coming home with a new dash cam.  I narrowed my choices to 5 models including Vicovation OPIA2, but knew nothing about this dash cam I found at the shop and almost overlooked it and never cared to know its feature and spec because I didn't like the style and cheap finish.  However, it is fairly new model from a well-established, seemingly reputable brand VIOFO and while its features are basic, its spec and quality seems too good to be true for 1,900 Baht, not to mention it had one of the most important feature for me - no need to attach to the film-attached windshiled (comes with a rear view mirror mount aside from usual suction cup mount and 3M adhesive mount).  Here's why I thought it's highly recommended and suitable for Thailand, if you don't mind its style and finish.  

1. Good video quality day and night, but particularly at night (only up to 1,080p and 30fps).  

2. f/1.6 fast lens with Sony Exmor IMX323 CMOS sensor (no wonder the good night video quality)
3. Integrated Capacitor, therefore high heat tolerance (tested in up to 59℃ temperature and promoted as "for warm weather" dash cam in the YouTube video review).  
4. 3 different mounting methods - suction cup, 3M adhesive and rear view mirror attachment
5. All that for 1,9000 Baht,

However, while it has capacitor built-in to save the video files without fail, without a built-in battery its clock will go dead and will need to reset time if the engine ignition is off for more than two days - so I was told.  The optional 500 Baht GPS dongle for GPS logging will reset the time every time you turn the ignition, however.  

I was too happy to buy it just for rear view mirror mount but didn't get it in the end.  Why?  because I found out during installation the rear view mirror mount interferes with the tab for my rear view mirror's anti-glare day/night tilt.  :saai::sleep:

Here's the review video just posted yesterday by a famous dash cam reviewer Car Cam Central.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_tI3A-yWA

Edited by Nordlys

16 hours ago, Nordlys said:

I just went to a shop called DashcamThailand in Minburi whose owner speaks fairly good English, almost coming home with a new dash cam.  I narrowed my choices to 5 models including Vicovation OPIA2, but knew nothing about this dash cam I found at the shop and almost overlooked it and never cared to know its feature and spec because I didn't like the style and cheap finish.  However, it is fairly new model from a well-established, seemingly reputable brand VIOFO and while its features are basic, its spec and quality seems too good to be true for 1,900 Baht, not to mention it had one of the most important feature for me - no need to attach to the film-attached windshiled (comes with a rear view mirror mount aside from usual suction cup mount and 3M adhesive mount).  Here's why I thought it's highly recommended and suitable for Thailand, if you don't mind its style and finish.  

1. Good video quality day and night, but particularly at night (only up to 1,080p and 30fps).  

2. f/1.6 fast lens with Sony Exmor IMX323 CMOS sensor (no wonder the good night video quality)
3. Integrated Capacitor, therefore high heat tolerance (tested in up to 59℃ temperature and promoted as "for warm weather" dash cam in the YouTube video review).  
4. 3 different mounting methods - suction cup, 3M adhesive and rear view mirror attachment
5. All that for 1,9000 Baht,

However, while it has capacitor built-in to save the video files without fail, without a built-in battery its clock will go dead and will need to reset time if the engine ignition is off for more than two days - so I was told.  The optional 500 Baht GPS dongle for GPS logging will reset the time every time you turn the ignition, however.  

I was too happy to buy it just for rear view mirror mount but didn't get it in the end.  Why?  because I found out during installation the rear view mirror mount interferes with the tab for my rear view mirror's anti-glare day/night tilt.  :saai::sleep:

Here's the review video just posted yesterday by a famous dash cam reviewer Car Cam Central.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_tI3A-yWA

G1W is not viofo, it's only called G1W and is the most famous cheap acceptable dashcam in the world.

Everybody knows it.

35 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

G1W is not viofo, it's only called G1W and is the most famous cheap acceptable dashcam in the world.

Everybody knows it.

Agreed that anybody interested in dash cams should be aware of the G1W but did you actually listen to the reviewer? He made the point that Viofo had taken the G1W and put there slant on it for what its worth. The issue I suggest is more whether Viofo as a manufacturer are a better quality bet then some of the others.

Same as the A118 - mine supposedly made by a company called Blueskysea..........

18 hours ago, Nordlys said:

Most of the capacitor equipped cams will hold the date/time longer than a few days.

All of the lower end, popular, dashcams from china are cloned by multiple companies.      Some look exactly the same externally, but are a mish-mash of internal parts that don't really work, or work well.

The A118/B40 is a good example,  There are some clones floating around from various chinese manufacturers that are a nightmare.

The actual Viofo branded models are usually ok, and have some product support (such as it is when dealing with a chinese manufacturer) after the sale.     

4 hours ago, topt said:

Agreed that anybody interested in dash cams should be aware of the G1W but did you actually listen to the reviewer? He made the point that Viofo had taken the G1W and put there slant on it for what its worth. The issue I suggest is more whether Viofo as a manufacturer are a better quality bet then some of the others.

Same as the A118 - mine supposedly made by a company called Blueskysea..........

One I held in hand and in the youtube video it was clearly marked as Viofo.  But suppose it's not, should that be any reason for concern?  

3 hours ago, balo said:

I want to mount a dashcam on my bicycle, any suggestions ?

GoPro and other action cams?  That Viofo GW1-S should comes with a rear view mirror mount that looked big enough to me for bicycle handle bar, if you can find way to externally power the dash cam.  

3 hours ago, petesc55 said:

Most of the capacitor equipped cams will hold the date/time longer than a few days.

I'm not sure.  The YouTube reviewer makes no such mention about the capacitor limitation but that's what the store owner told me.  

3 hours ago, petesc55 said:

All of the lower end, popular, dashcams from china are cloned by multiple companies.      Some look exactly the same externally, but are a mish-mash of internal parts that don't really work, or work well.

The A118/B40 is a good example,  There are some clones floating around from various chinese manufacturers that are a nightmare.

The actual Viofo branded models are usually ok, and have some product support (such as it is when dealing with a chinese manufacturer) after the sale.     

Viofo G1W-S I held in hand was actually branded and clearly marked as Viofo on its product and the box.  How about Viofo A119S.  Any reason I shouldn't buy it?  

57 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

One I held in hand and in the youtube video it was clearly marked as Viofo.  But suppose it's not, should that be any reason for concern?  

See Petesc55 post 3 above this.

I would not worry too much if that is what you want and it says Viofo then it probably is.

1 hour ago, petesc55 said:

Yes^^^

The A119S had some initial problems that may have been fixed by now.    You can check the forum at dashcamtalk to see what the status is, currently.     (I haven't been keeping track)

They now have A119S V2.  I'm not sure what the initial problem was but I suppose it's been addressed in Ver.2?  :unsure:

I haven't paid much attention to the 'S' stuff.    I just noticed some grumbling about initial problems.

Not sure what the current status is?    You can check the appropriate forum at dashcamtalk.

Viofo 'usually' is pretty good about tweaking new products, and correcting stuff.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

A little bit off topic but couldn't find through the search engine - but I know it's here

Dash cam insurance discount - Was told by Toyota when receiving new vehicle that if I was to claim it would only be 1% ( thought it was more ). Also if the you do claim the discount & your camera isn't working at the time of an accident you are not covered

Another one - I take it that the dash cam will not operate when vehicle is parked ? - As friend was stating to me what happens if someone reverses into him whilst trying to park ( no evidence )

Thanks all

57 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Hello all

A little bit off topic but couldn't find through the search engine - but I know it's here

Dash cam insurance discount - Was told by Toyota when receiving new vehicle that if I was to claim it would only be 1% ( thought it was more ). Also if the you do claim the discount & your camera isn't working at the time of an accident you are not covered

Another one - I take it that the dash cam will not operate when vehicle is parked ? - As friend was stating to me what happens if someone reverses into him whilst trying to park ( no evidence )

Thanks all

Hi/.

I have just upgraded my dash cam this week (about 1,000 baht) dual lens (front and back). from Lazada!

includes now G-Spot (accident) and park mode! - this would cover that situation (comes on for 20 seconds or so) also have movement detector now!

170 degree angle now!

seems alot better models out now!

cheers

On 9/10/2017 at 11:23 AM, Martinpeter said:

Hi/.

I have just upgraded my dash cam this week (about 1,000 baht) dual lens (front and back). from Lazada!

includes now G-Spot (accident) and park mode! - this would cover that situation (comes on for 20 seconds or so) also have movement detector now!

170 degree angle now!

seems alot better models out now!

cheers

Can you tell me which one you bought ?

And can anybody compare the xiaomi with the G1W ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-dashcam-1080p-car-wifi-dvr-gray-32311029.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/morestech-g1w-nt96650-full-hd-black-247101.html

G1W is reliable, but is the xiaomi better ?

Similar ? 

Thanks.

Edited by bleble

6 hours ago, bleble said:

Can you tell me which one you bought ?

And can anybody compare the xiaomi with the G1W ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-dashcam-1080p-car-wifi-dvr-gray-32311029.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/morestech-g1w-nt96650-full-hd-black-247101.html

G1W is reliable, but is the xiaomi better ?

Similar ? 

I bought this one, even cheaper now!

Thanks.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, BEVUP said:

Dash cam insurance discount - Was told by Toyota when receiving new vehicle that if I was to claim it would only be 1% ( thought it was more ).

My broker has just quoted a 5% discount but on a 5 year old vehicle - on an AXA policy.