Can't Get Torrents

chiangrai

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

Torrents are just peer to peer file transfer, they are not illegal.

If you are downloading illegal content then you may have a problem

:post-4641-1156693976: 

So if I use torrents its all ok and legal but the copies of movies I download from my friends cloud space are illegal. Gotcha :)

11 hours ago, maxpower said:

So if I use torrents its all ok and legal but the copies of movies I download from my friends cloud space are illegal. Gotcha :)

It's all to do with copyright.

Some movies, music and books are out of copyright so should be OK. 

:smile:

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And that's why I wrote 'most of the time'. Because most of the time torrents are used to download/upload illegal material. Which is why some torrent sites have been shut down and the authorities are trying to shut down the rest, in the bewildering belief that the people that download would otherwise buy the product. Often they would not, as those who buy fake bags, watches etc would not buy the original.

By the way, you've appeared like a long lost friend from the days when you were my favourite read on Database. In fact my favourite read of the week at the BP. I learned of so much great software from you back in the day, some of which I'm sure I must still use. When the Wednesday (?) supplement was rejigged or vanished I lost touch with you and the other great crew at the BP.

Re para 2 to WandaSloan: fully agree with Barry. Database was always a must-read for me - was always full of good advice and tips. Pity there is nothing that comes close to it any more. 

4 hours ago, RoyDee said:

Re para 2 to WandaSloan: fully agree with Barry. Database was always a must-read for me - was always full of good advice and tips. Pity there is nothing that comes close to it any more. 

I remember Wanda's weekly Database articles. 

A wealth of IT information back in the days before Windows XP and scant information available on an emerging Internet.

Got me started, kept me going and have not looked back since.

:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Daffy D said:

It's all to do with copyright.

Some movies, music and books are out of copyright so should be OK. 

:smile:

I might be wrong, but isn't the copyright more in line with making money off the item.. if it's free you haven't cheated the copyright holder.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I do with large torrents:

I download them to my server in france (online.net)

which is completed freaking fast thanks to 1gbit port and almost all seedboxes are located in Europe!

Then, I upload files to google drive (15gb free, but I use 2 usd/month 100gb option) using odeke-em's drive app (available in ubuntu, debian etc via packages)

Again upload is blazing fast.

Then I download to my router/nas via same drive app built for armv5/armv6/armv7 (I use armv7 as my router chipset is dualcore arm v7)

speed is: maximum I get in Thailand via speedtest, which is 67500 kbit/sec

And I can still browse web, watch youtube etc without any problems, because file is downloaded in one single connection (not 10 connections etc). Google / Youtube services are not throttled in 3BB, despite the fact that Google servers are in Singapore (and singapore is slightly throttled, but not much)

Yeah you need to type some dos style (linux - cli) commands but hey, it is fun!

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

which is completed freaking fast thanks to 1gbit port and almost all seedboxes are located in Europe!

Then, I upload files to google drive (15gb free, but I use 2 usd/month 100gb option) using odeke-em's drive app (available in ubuntu, debian etc via packages)

Then I download to my router/nas via same drive app built for armv5/armv6/armv7 (I use armv7 as my router chipset is dualcore arm v7)

And I can still browse web, watch youtube etc without any problems, because file is downloaded in one single connection (not 10 connections etc). Google / Youtube services are not throttled in 3BB, despite the fact that Google servers are in Singapore (and singapore is slightly throttled, but not much)

Or you càn just down load them to your computer overnight as i do a lot less drama.

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Or you càn just down load them to your computer overnight as i do a lot less drama.

I can do that with my NAS or router instead of computer, but I like things done in shortest possible timeframe. Downloading torrents from mainly european seeded peers in SouthEastAsia is waste of time.

Before I used to download files from my server in France, still fast, but not as fast as google drive method. If I had 200/100 mbit 3bb fiber (I'll get in Samui), I'm sure I'd get speeds over 150 mbits, perhaps full 200 mbits from google drive. Nothing can match that!

7 minutes ago, muratremix said:

I can do that with my NAS or router instead of computer, but I like things done in shortest possible timeframe. Downloading torrents from mainly european seeded peers in SouthEastAsia is waste of time.

Before I used to download files from my server in France, still fast, but not as fast as google drive method. If I had 200/100 mbit 3bb fiber (I'll get in Samui), I'm sure I'd get speeds over 150 mbits, perhaps full 200 mbits from google drive. Nothing can match that!

I wasnt saying i can match the speed but i download torrents every night put in on start download when u get up all done dont have to get servers elsewhere.

I never or very rarley have a problem getting European seeding here.

Edited by jeab1980

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

That seems an incredibly complex way of getting torrents, the first download from seeder to your server is dependent on the seeders upload speed and the seeders can be geographically anywhere in the word, a 1 Gb port may speed things up but cant make it go faster than the seeders upload.

Why would you then move the files to googledrive, why not download straight to your NAS ? The closest Google data centre (where your google drive may be physically located, possibly in US etc) is in Korea. Yet another down load.

I cant see how 3 downloads, seeder to server, server to google drive (and syncing across google data centres), google drive to NAS can possibly be faster than a straight torrent to you download ?

53 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Or you càn just down load them to your computer overnight as i do a lot less drama

Or during the day, still use computer for normal stuff, the downloads run in the background.

I'm on TOT 50/20 and can download a 2gb movie in about 10 min.

No complaints from me :thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That seems an incredibly complex way of getting torrents, the first download from seeder to your server is dependent on the seeders upload speed and the seeders can be geographically anywhere in the word, a 1 Gb port may speed things up but cant make it go faster than the seeders upload.

Why would you then move the files to googledrive, why not download straight to your NAS ? The closest Google data centre (where your google drive may be physically located, possibly in US etc) is in Korea. Yet another down load.

I cant see how 3 downloads, seeder to server, server to google drive (and syncing across google data centres), google drive to NAS can possibly be faster than a straight torrent to you download ?

Closest google peering is in Malaysia/Singapore. I get max speed at all times while downloading from google drive. No ups and downs, always max speed, at all times. It's like downloading from Thailand.

Uploading to google drive takes one command line (not complex)

drive push Foldername

Downloading from google drive also takes one command in ssh (easy)

drive pull Foldername

That is easier than adding download links of several files to download master / igetter / flashget etc on macbook

No matter what kind of home connection you have here, it can't match speed of an european dedicated server for torrents.

If I download from france, or better, using my nginx reverse proxy at singapore for faster transfer speed, it is still lower than google drive using 1 connections. If I use 10 connections etc, speed is comparable but then youtube streaming etc is affected due to number of connections (and no I don't want to setup QoS)

Hey Guys, I'm new to Thailand. I used to download Torrents in my home country all the time. My husband says I really shouldn't download them here or I could get into serious trouble. Have any of you encountered anything like this? Or are y'all using VPN's?

I think you would only get in to serious trouble if you were maybe downloading videos banned in Thailand e.g. political and/or about certain people.

Some people use VPNs for torrents, most don't. Main reason for using a VPN in Thailand is to speed up a torrent rather than avoiding detection.

I can't recall anyone being threatened with legal action for downloading copyright material like sometimes happens in the US or Australia.

4 hours ago, SamiJan said:

Hey Guys, I'm new to Thailand. I used to download Torrents in my home country all the time. My husband says I really shouldn't download them here or I could get into serious trouble. Have any of you encountered anything like this? Or are y'all using VPN's?

As @kkerry says i don't use a VPN on computer at all. I down load quite a lot of music and a few decent quality films and software. Never had any problems. Just go ahead.

• 3 weeks later...