Sealant for grout in bathroom

steveolevi

Working on a floor tile job in the bathroom looking for a brush on/roll on product to seal the grout. Im going to use Weber anti fungus tole grout - not cement. This is a redo of the local handyman's prevoius attempt at laying a tile floor. Also, what is the best way to remove the old grout?

Thanks again!

I have used a Weber Tile grout protective coating. I've seen this product at several builders merchants stores in Buriram, so it must be available nationwide at Weber dealers in Thailand. That Weber product is in the hands of the woman in the photo. I've used a simple tile grout removal tool that I bought at Global House to have relatives remove tile grout in their village house bathroom and kitchen.  

Buriram Weber Tile grout Protectant Coating brush on.jpg

I once bought a grout removal tile, with its shiny serrated tungsten carbide tip,

Unfortunately it doesnt plug in anywhere...'king donkey work I can tell you

pretty sure in the end i opted for a new tiling scheme instead.

my advice to myself for future reference would be to use a very thin grinding disc and a very steady hand

13 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I once bought a grout removal tile, with its shiny serrated tungsten carbide tip,

my advice to myself for future reference would be to use a very thin grinding disc and a very steady hand

It's one hell of a job & since your going to all the trouble why not look into Epoxy mixes - quite expensive but will never need to worry in a life time 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, BEVUP said:

It's one hell of a job & since your going to all the trouble why not look into Epoxy mixes - quite expensive but will never need to worry in a life time 

I am just about to enquire on re-grout work on one of my toilets and would be interested in this epoxy package, do you have a lead or picture of the product available in Thailand.

I will not be performing any of the work, so not bothered if its a time consuming job.

11 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I am just about to enquire on re-grout work on one of my toilets and would be interested in this epoxy package, do you have a lead or picture of the product available in Thailand.

I will not be performing any of the work, so not bothered if its a time consuming job.

Weber products ,I think from the UK sold mainly at Global House 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, eyecatcher said:

a very steady hand

Dream on. It always ends up with having to remove the tiles, in my experience. Unless you don't mind tiles with divots.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

a very steady hand

Dream on. It always ends up with having to remove the tiles, in my experience. Unless you don't mind tiles with divots.

I bet I am younger than you so my hand doesnt shake as much!:smile:

Grout rakes work well if you keep them moving straight. Two hands helps. Divots occur if wedging the tool.

I had found grout sealer nowhere. Now that I know weber has it and see what the container looks like, I will carefully check global house's display again. It's too bad though that looking at the container apparently there is no roller applicator like is the case in other countries:

roller.jpg

been a ceramic tiler for 40 years, never used tile sealer, its not required if the grouting is done correctly, 

there are grout removal blades for the electric/battery multi tools

https://www.google.co.th/search?biw=1330&bih=587&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=electric+multi+tool+tile+removal+blade+&oq=electric+multi+tool+tile+removal+blade+&gs_l=psy-ab.12...3456.23605.0.25819.24.23.1.0.0.0.138.2147.20j3.23.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.101...0i30k1.Vu08j8lwcys#imgrc=74ekeHRXWhRkvM:

Edited by steve187

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, kamalabob2 said:

I have used a Weber Tile grout protective coating. I've seen this product at several builders merchants stores in Buriram, so it must be available nationwide at Weber dealers in Thailand. That Weber product is in the hands of the woman in the photo. I've used a simple tile grout removal tool that I bought at Global House to have relatives remove tile grout in their village house bathroom and kitchen.  

Buriram Weber Tile grout Protectant Coating brush on.jpg

Just returned from Global house in Ubon checking on the various types of grout. I asked the guy if he had the protective coating you mention in the picture and he told me he had never seen this product, he then called Weber in BKK and they told him they do not supply this product.

Do you have a name of the coating you mention in either Thai or English, or a close up picture of the bottle.

The reason for grout sealer is that grout is porous which contributes to mold growth in these crevices. Grout sealer fills up the pores, providing greater protection from mold.

Note cotto has grout specifically for bathrooms called nano grout. It's composed of very fine particles resulting in a smooth finish that does not need a sealer. It's available in Thailand in the same colors as normal cotto grout but you might have to go to a SCG outlet to find it.