Don't bother with Nimman Songthaews

Dipterocarp

Last two days I stopped 4 or 5 cars before giving up. Maybe I'm unlucky but it has has been sudden and noticeable. Either just too many tourists here or Nimmanhaemin has been set as a designated racist pricing zone. 3x -5x set fare demanded to go short distance. Waste of time I'd better to take a Tuk-Tuk. They don't care if you speak Thai.

Yesterday at 11:30 AM for example to go to Thapae gate have up and walked to Huay Kaew road. No problem with the first car that stopped none if this "ki kon" garbage when it is obvious it is just one person.

Your comments are a bit confusing.  You say you stopped 4 or 5 baht busses on Nimman but that's all.  What exactly did you ask them (if they'd go to Thaphae Gate?)?  Did you ask them anything else (like how much?)? 

Yes. But hassles waiting and drivers who cancel suddenly. I use UBER at night and for longer distances. This week in the morning went from AUA a village area well beyond Borsang. Perfect service, fare about 260 baht. How much would the well dressed gentleman in gold rimmed glasses with shiny Songthaews setting their traps on in front of M hotel demanded??

52 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Only a tourist asks how much. It is a set fare inside town.

When they reply "How many people" and it is only me I know it is then going downhill. They soon counter with the 3x to 5x pricing.

I thought the fare was set only if they were on their route - - and I never know what route they are on until I ask and ask the price as well... I don't live in CM but would not really call myself a tourist there - I am in CM about once a month... with all these differences of opinion that I read about here, it seems it only makes sense to ask the price... 

I have walked out of that Tesco with a case of beer and they took me up by CMU for twenty.  I just walked about a block south, but yeah, that area is notorious.  7.5x is about what the pharmacies charge, too.  Long list of reasons to not live on Nimman.  Would make me miss the Beach rd.at Pattaya.

They won't take you to a long list of places for twenty...especially from Nimman...including airport piazza, worrorat market, and panthip piazza.  Thapae Gate, pretty easy.

The idea they won't take you from Nimman to Thapae ( or Warorot Market) for 20 is something new to me in the 10 years or so I have been doing it and 15 baht before that.

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

The idea they won't take you from Nimman to Thapae ( or Warorot Market) for 20 is something new to me in the 10 years or so I have been doing it and 15 baht before that.

I Stated Thapae would be easy, lucky to get to Warorot Market, which is a five minutes walk further, but almost never Panthip, Airport Plaza, or a long list of other places in Mueang, but if you consider "in town" to be just the Old City and its perimeter, yes they will do that for twenty, but not at night.  But, Mueang is the central city, and most of it would not be covered.  Daytime circus pant/body odor/Chinese tourists tours:  twenty baht.  Oh, and since it is August, you can include look a like Eurotrash couples with inbred kids.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

14 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Yes. But hassles waiting and drivers who cancel suddenly. I use UBER at night and for longer distances. This week in the morning went from AUA a village area well beyond Borsang. Perfect service, fare about 260 baht. How much would the well dressed gentleman in gold rimmed glasses with shiny Songthaews setting their traps on in front of M hotel demanded??

Can you find Ubers outside of the city?

11 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I Stated Thapae would be easy, lucky to get to Warorot Market, which is a five minutes walk further, but almost never Panthip, Airport Plaza, or a long list of other places in Mueang, but if you consider "in town" to be just the Old City and its perimeter, yes they will do that for twenty, but not at night.  But, Mueang is the central city, and most of it would not be covered.  Daytime circus pant/body odor/Chinese tourists tours:  twenty baht.  Oh, and since it is August, you can include look a like Eurotrash couples with inbred kids.

Yep thanks, bad eyes.

August. Thursday airport arrivals looked like a scene from the Star Wars Cantina, do they sit the Israelis and Arabs on opposite sides of the plane? The sulking teenage girl screaming at her Mother in Italian at Starbucks in town reminded me I'm happy with my vasectomy.  Family vacation looks like sooo much fun.

Edited by Dipterocarp

19 hours ago, Daryle said:

Taxi drivers the world over are a pain in the Ass. I try to avoid if I can overcome the hassles.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Never had a bad taxi driver in Singapore in the last 20 years, can't remember one in Switzerland either.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, kenk24 said:

I thought the fare was set only if they were on their route - - and I never know what route they are on until I ask and ask the price as well... I don't live in CM but would not really call myself a tourist there - I am in CM about once a month... with all these differences of opinion that I read about here, it seems it only makes sense to ask the price... 

There are no routes in C M for the red ones. The price is supposed to be set for the local area, but many want more.

When they ask some extortionate price I usually laugh at them and walk away. I'd better stop that though, or I'm going to get a beating one day.

9 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Never had a bad taxi driver in Singapore in the last 20 years, can't remember one in Switzerland either.

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

... or in Japan. There, the drivers even open and close the doors for you!

And they usually get more than 20 baht for a fare, I would assume.  They likely get tips larger than 20 baht... It always surprises me that people can complain about a 20 or 30 baht fare. 

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are no routes in C M for the red ones. The price is supposed to be set for the local area, but many want more.

When they ask some extortionate price I usually laugh at them and walk away. I'd better stop that though, or I'm going to get a beating one day.

I would be curious what you might consider extortionate pricing... an extra 20 baht? As you have said before, you like to walk rather than pay 20 baht... so, there you have it... walking is free. There are very few places in the world with such inexpensive public transportation... don't forget the depreciation on your walking shoes... and the calories you burn need to be replaced, etc etc.. 

Just now, kenk24 said:

I would be curious what you might consider extortionate pricing... an extra 20 baht? As you have said before, you like to walk rather than pay 20 baht... so, there you have it... walking is free. There are very few places in the world with such inexpensive public transportation... don't forget the depreciation on your walking shoes... and the calories you burn need to be replaced, etc etc.. 

100 baht for a 20/ 30 baht distance. I stopped 8 red songtheaws once and all wanted that. I ended up going to somewhere close enough to my destination to be able to walk from there.

Did you try standing on the opposite side of the road?  If they are heading in the opposite direction to where you want to go they are not likely to want to turn around on that road... as it's so busy and congested.

The price is 30 Baht now... it's the new fixed price to anywhere within the city moat area and the area just outside.... you can get 20 baht if there are more than one of you.

I use them several times a week and have been doing so for 10 years and so far very few problems.... main problem times are if there is rush hour(s) traffic and they know there is going to be massive congestion where I want them to go... so I can understand that... just for 30 baht its not worth their time.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is, by law. Use to be 20 baht but they approved an increase to 30 in April. That's for any trip WITHIN Mueang in a Rotdeng (red songteaw). Anywhere outside is negotiable, but if you're traveling far you should be using a fixed route Songteaw not the red ones to begin with. Alt is Uber or Grab, I use Grab Taxi to get out to Promenada and back, zero hassles and cheaper than a tuktuk or Songteaw quote. 

12 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

And they usually get more than 20 baht for a fare, I would assume.  They likely get tips larger than 20 baht... It always surprises me that people can complain about a 20 or 30 baht fare. 

No tipping of cab drivers in Japan what so ever. It just isn't done. In fact, tipping isn't done in Japan at all except in the most expensive restaurants.

18 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I think the doors are motorized in Japan. :ph34r:

That said, it's fair to hold out for forward-facing seats and seatbelts for that price.

In the mid eighties some of the taxis in Singapore had a mechanical lever that the drivers used to shut  doors.  Nearly broke my wrist once as he pulled the lever.....gave me a hell of a surprise.

Taxi drivers in Dubai are also very good. I was working in the Middle East and one driver remembered me from over a  year previous.  Amazing memory