Don't bother with Nimman Songthaews

Dipterocarp

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

100 baht for a 20/ 30 baht distance. I stopped 8 red songtheaws once and all wanted that. I ended up going to somewhere close enough to my destination to be able to walk from there.

Sounds like that is the consensus price then... I guess you could look at it as everyone is trying to rip you off, but if it is everyone, then I expect that is what they all have determined would be the fair price... and as to your other question, I doubt that too much will interest you in Isaan... and if you are leaving Thailand - my best wishes for your new life elsewhere... where are you heading? 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Sounds like that is the consensus price then... I guess you could look at it as everyone is trying to rip you off, but if it is everyone, then I expect that is what they all have determined would be the fair price... and as to your other question, I doubt that too much will interest you in Isaan... and if you are leaving Thailand - my best wishes for your new life elsewhere... where are you heading? 

Thanks for that about Issan. Always wondered, but no beaches up there ( none in C M either but had to come up here, and Pattaya is having too many problems at the moment to want to go back, yet ).

Going home in a year or so as don't have enough money to stay in LOS after making the big mistake and getting married/ divorced.

Doesn't matter where I'm going if it's not Thailand. I'll spend every day wishing I could be here till I'm not around anymore.

15 years of living in Japan, and taking taxis in many different cities and rural locations, I never saw one that worked differently. The drivers all control the doors with their lever. In fact, most didn't even have door handles on the inside of the taxi.

That sounds like remote operation to me....  I don't think any Chiang Mai taxis will have anything similar any time soon.  If someone opts to use a taxi in Chiang Mai instead of a songteaw, I don't think most drivers will open the doors for the passenger. I think there may be a very few that might in certain circumstances.

2 hours ago, hml367 said:

That sounds like remote operation to me....

It is. No one is arguing with you.  I affirmed that in all the time living in Japan, every taxi I took worked the same (driver operated doors,) no matter where in Japan I was, city or rural.  Nothing more.

Edited by FolkGuitar

9 hours ago, hml367 said:

Every taxi I have ridden in in Japan has had remotely operated rear doors. that doesn't mean every taxi has them.... I don't know. The ones I have ridden did have them.

Yeah, whether the driver pushes a button or operates a lever, the point is he doesn't get out of the damn car to open the door!! :post-4641-1156693976: