Registering marriage in home country & changing surname

fin5prtw

Hello,

I married my partner (he is Thai) almost 3 years ago and took his surname at the amphur, however I never registered the marriage with my embassy (I am British), but seeing as we have a baby due towards the end of this year I would rather like to do this, along with changing my surname officially... Can anyone advise as to how I may go about doing both of these?

Many thanks :)

You cannot register your marriage at the British Embassy. It was a bit of a pointless exercise so the FCO stopped it on 1 January 2014.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marriage-certificate-registry-service-discontinued-for-overseas-brits

You will need to apply for a new passport at the Trendy building, providing all of the required proof (translated when necessary). When you receive the passport with your married name you will need to take all of your documents, you old and new passport and your husband to immigration to get your extension of stay transferred over.

Edited by blackcab

On 8/14/2017 at 2:30 AM, blackcab said:

You cannot register your marriage at the British Embassy. It was a bit of a pointless exercise so the FCO stopped it on 1 January 2014.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marriage-certificate-registry-service-discontinued-for-overseas-brits

You will need to apply for a new passport at the Trendy building, providing all of the required proof (translated when necessary). When you receive the passport with your married name you will need to take all of your documents, you old and new passport and your husband to immigration to get your extension of stay transferred over.

Marriages were never registered at the British Embassy, the embassy only ever accepted the application on behalf of the GRO. Also it was a deposit and not a registration, I did it in 2008.

Some may have seen it as pointless but it certainly removes any question mark over the marriage certificate when applying for a visa into the UK or Europe.