What is the duration of an AIS SIM card?

likeke

I have not been back to Bangkok for a year, and was wondering if my SIM card is still valid. If not, what are my options? I guess I could just go to the AIS store in Terminal 21. And, I understand the 7/11s don't top minutes anymore. 

If you've not been using it or extending the validity the chances are it's now toast and your number has been re-allocated. It is worth asking at the AiS shop mind.

As noted above, a new SIM is small money, take your passport.

I wanted to keep my number for convenience so I used to top up my phone in Saudi using International roaming.

Here are the codes for AIS, hope it helps :wai:

AIS 12Call USSD Codes

• *411#  – Activate 4G on your SIM if available
  • *120*_Top-up-code_#  – Add Credit from top up card
  • *121*3#   Check your remaining data plan balance
  • *121*2#   – Check free airtime.
  • *121*1#   – Check mao mao bonus.
  •  *121#   Check your remaining balance ( or Dial *121   )
  • *125  or  *125*1#  – Turn on International Roaming
  • *545#  – Get your own phone number
  • *139#  – Check remaining SMS/GPRS/WiFi balance  ( Old – changed to *121# )
  • *777  – Change Promotion
  • *700  – Balance and validity transfer, language change and call me back service
  • *120  Call: 900120  – Activate new SIM
  • *292* 12call number *amount #  (20, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 thb) – Transfer credit from AIS Post Paid to 12Call
  • *140  or *140*1* 12call number*amount#  (10,20, 50, 100 thb) – Transfer credit to another user
  • *500*9#  – Add 30 days validity for 30 THB on Mao Mao package
  • *500*1#  – 25 Calling minutes for 20 thb – valid 48 hours
  • *388#  – Get WiFi Username and password.

Mine sim is good for 12 months but I have had it for a long time. Frequent small top ups will ectend the expiry date. 

If overseas there and you want to keep your sim card alive there are online top up companies. Mobiletopup. Com is one.

55 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I wanted to keep my number for convenience so I used to top up my phone in Saudi using International roaming.

Here are the codes for AIS, hope it helps :wai:

AIS 12Call USSD Codes

• *411#  – Activate 4G on your SIM if available
  • *120*_Top-up-code_#  – Add Credit from top up card
  • *121*3#   Check your remaining data plan balance
  • *121*2#   – Check free airtime.
  • *121*1#   – Check mao mao bonus.
  •  *121#   Check your remaining balance ( or Dial *121   )
  • *125  or  *125*1#  – Turn on International Roaming
  • *545#  – Get your own phone number
  • *139#  – Check remaining SMS/GPRS/WiFi balance  ( Old – changed to *121# )
  • *777  – Change Promotion
  • *700  – Balance and validity transfer, language change and call me back service
  • *120  Call: 900120  – Activate new SIM
  • *292* 12call number *amount #  (20, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 thb) – Transfer credit from AIS Post Paid to 12Call
  • *140  or *140*1* 12call number*amount#  (10,20, 50, 100 thb) – Transfer credit to another user
  • *500*9#  – Add 30 days validity for 30 THB on Mao Mao package
  • *500*1#  – 25 Calling minutes for 20 thb – valid 48 hours
  • *388#  – Get WiFi Username and password.

Wow! How helpful. I must print this out. Thanks ever so.

however: any AIS SIM bought before 3 months ago were automatically invalidated because of switch

to 4g- but as others have said, new SIM cards are cheap- if you have other people's  Thai numbers you wish to keep, save numbers to PHONE memory and not SIM memory, that way even if you change SIM cards or  companies,  you don't lose important numbers

4 hours ago, Saan said:

Mine sim is good for 12 months but I have had it for a long time. Frequent small top ups will ectend the expiry date. 

If overseas there and you want to keep your sim card alive there are online top up companies. Mobiletopup. Com is one.

I think they've dropped whichever plan I was on. For many years, anytime I topped up any amount the validity was good for another year. BUT aside from topping up, there has to be some incoming or outgoing activity on the phone too. Not sure if it's 3 months or 6 months, but I believe if there is no phone use for whatever period, your phone number will be up for sale.

My PAYG AIS (1 - 2 - Call) renews for a year at each top-up.

BTW I seem to remember that you need to register all new SIM cards i.e. passport / proof of address.

Probably why you cannot buy at 7/11 any more.

Not sure if all outlets go through the process.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:34 AM, jenifer d said:

however: any AIS SIM bought before 3 months ago were automatically invalidated because of switch

to 4g- but as others have said, new SIM cards are cheap- if you have other people's  Thai numbers you wish to keep, save numbers to PHONE memory and not SIM memory, that way even if you change SIM cards or  companies,  you don't lose important numbers

According to my AIS account my sim card has been active for 10 years and 4 months, better memory than me.

When they terminated the 2G service my wife rang and asked if we needed to do anything and they said not necessary.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

According to my AIS account my sim card has been active for 10 years and 4 months, better memory than me.

When they terminated the 2G service my wife rang and asked if we needed to do anything and they said not necessary.

actually, mine became deactivated immediately, even went to our AIS shop here where i had bought

this phone and SIM- ended up having to buy a DTAC SIM

possibly you have a monthly plan? all i know is that my service stopped and AIS vendor TOLD ME that i

could not replace the SIM w/AIS (and you're right it was 2G to 3G, NOT 4G)

19 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

My PAYG AIS (1 - 2 - Call) renews for a year at each top-up.

BTW I seem to remember that you need to register all new SIM cards i.e. passport / proof of address.

Probably why you cannot buy at 7/11 any more.

Not sure if all outlets go through the process.

according to my sources, it was due to some fee dispute w/AIS- although the passport requirement might have a bit to do w/it (but they are still selling DTAC and TRUE SIMs to my knowledge)

On 8/15/2017 at 8:23 AM, Saan said:

Ditto for me as well, my current acct doesn't expire until 10/2018 as long as I have at least 800 baht in the account.........go to AIS store in Terminal 21and get a new number, ask them about the long term program..........I have had mine for about five years now  AIS 1,2,Call.

20 hours ago, jenifer d said:

actually, mine became deactivated immediately, even went to our AIS shop here where i had bought

this phone and SIM- ended up having to buy a DTAC SIM

possibly you have a monthly plan? all i know is that my service stopped and AIS vendor TOLD ME that i

could not replace the SIM w/AIS (and you're right it was 2G to 3G, NOT 4G)

No, its pay as you go. My wife got it free and gave it to me before we were married.

If I remember right the warning was that if you allowed the service to terminate then the account would terminate and could not be recovered. I did not have to do anything as apparently they had done what was necessary when I went along and registered the sim sometime beforehand. The changeover was problematic and those that left it to the end may have been forced on to DTAC. Some info can be seen here.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Uncertain-fate-for-AIS-2G-subscribers-30281461.html

Archived