Transfere car registration from province to province.

hillsy61

You can do this you go to new LTO tell them you want to transfer the veh plates to them fill in all the forms show what they require from you (i dont know what chonburi may want COR ect?) Go back a week or so later take your plates off the car in the center. Take them inside and they will take them off you and give you new chonburi plates, as well as all the new details in the blue book. Its all very painless. For what they require just pop in and ask. I would presume all passport photo copies and a Certificate of Residence as well as cars blue book.

Having said all thst you dont have to change provinces you can tax the car in any province. Unless of course you want to sell it then it does make it a lot easier

Edited by jeab1980

We did it recently, from Trang to Bangkok. Had to get a letter issued by the original office confirming that we had notified them we were going to transfer the vehicle to a new province. This may have just been a Bangkok office requirement but it's definitely worth checking with Chonburi.

Beyond that, it was the usual stuff. Car book, owner house book, owner ID card.

They also did a quick inspection of the vehicle, so you need to take it with you. 

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I BROUGHT MY CAR FROM A FARANG LIVING AND REGISTERED IN ISSAN. WENT TO REGISTRATION NEAR PATTAYA. THEY TOLD ME I HAVE TO GO TO CHONBURI. WE FIRST DONE THE TRANSFER AT IMMIGRATION JOMTIEN, COST 200 BAHT. WENT TO CHONBURI, CHANGED REGISTERED OWNER. WENT BACK 2 DAYS LATER. THEY CHECKED CHASSIE AND ENGINE NUMBER TO SEE IF IT WAS STOLEN. THEY THEN ISSUED NEW PLATES REGISTERED AT PATTAYA. THEY SENT BLUE BOOK ONE WEEK LATER WITH MY NAME REGISTERED IN BOOK. IF YOU ARE THAI, DIFFERENT RULES APPLY.

What im surprised you cant do here is This.... Wifes Pop had a big Peugeot Salon , he put it in a barn 40 years ago.I found it had a BkkNo 123, so he said i could put it on Mrs Pops Car. No Way said the Vehicle Office, dont know if thats changed now. The Old Car was past viable restoration. Anyone tried.?.

14 hours ago, pontious said:

If you want only 100% in the know I doubt you will get much advice. I suggest you ask the mods to move the post to the motor forum.

If he is under the assumption the rules don't vary by location and day then he hasn't been here long enough or has not been paying attention. 

Thanks for everyone's reply's.

I did think you had to go imms and get a letter and then to land transport with everything that has been mentioned.

The reason i want to transfer is maybe for sale of the car.

I don't know if it's law that you must change regerstraion to the province that you are living.

13 minutes ago, hillsy61 said:

Thanks for everyone's reply's.

I did think you had to go imms and get a letter and then to land transport with everything that has been mentioned.

The reason i want to transfer is maybe for sale of the car.

I don't know if it's law that you must change regerstraion to the province that you are living.

No you can leave the registration in whatever province you like. Any province LTO will tax the car no problem. As you say if you sell the car you have to do the paper work in the province its registered in so if your contemplating selling in Province you are now makes sense to change plates and province now saves hassle when selling.

Edited by jeab1980

if your contemplating selling in Province you are now makes sense to change plates and province now saves hassle when selling.

Its not necessary to change the province
of the vehicle when you move.

It would make it easier for a potential buyer from the same province.

If the potential new buyer lives in another province (not the one you and the car are registered)
they will have the same hassles so leave it up to the new owner to sort out the registration.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

53 minutes ago, johng said:

Its not necessary to change the province
of the vehicle when you move.

It would make it easier for a potential buyer from the same province.

If the potential new buyer lives in another province (not the one you and the car are registered)
they will have the same hassles so leave it up to the new owner to sort out the registration.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why did  you only quote half of my post if you quoted the full post you would see i said exactly the same thing as you. However the op say may only may want to sell the car.

Why did  you only quote half of my post

I cut the quote so everyone doesn't have to read everything all over again. [emoji120]

I was just pointing out that any potential buyer may come from another province
and would have to change the plates again....but in any case plates from another province are not a problem for the seller (might be for the buyer) so why go through all the hassles to do it ?

23 minutes ago, johng said:

I cut the quote so everyone doesn't have to read everything all over again. emoji120.png

I was just pointing out that any potential buyer may come from another province
and would have to change the plates again....but in any case plates from another province are not a problem for the seller (might be for the buyer) so why go through all the hassles to do it ?

As the OP stated he might only might sell it. I did question why bother. Personally if plates were BKK i would leave tvem on if other provinces i would change them. Chances are if selling it would more than likley be sold in province your in any way.

17 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

North/Essarn Thai plates are a pest if you go South, yer get pulled for Drugs much more at checkpoints.:stoner:

LOL if you belive that youll belive Dr Who is real. Thats never been my take whilst going deep south on E-sarn plates

Just now, jeab1980 said:

LOL if you belive that youll belive Dr Who is real. Thats never been my take whilst going deep south on E-sarn plates

You clearly go not often then.Its a fact.Ask any Police Officer in Central areas, they are instructed to do so.Moreso now the Army seems to watch them .

2 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

You clearly go not often then.Its a fact.Ask any Police Officer in Central areas, they are instructed to do so.Moreso now the Army seems to watch them .

Been many times stopped maybe twice normal road checks nothing else. I visit Krabi and Yala 2 or 3 times a year.

My pickup was purchased new in Pattaya. I moved to Loei province and after ten years the registration was never questioned. I renewed the registration and insurance every year and never had a problem. I went through many checkpoints and had many trips back and forth to Jomtien. It was never questioned. Based on my experience, I wouldn't bother or worry about it.

ADDED - As for travelling south, I had a good friend in Krabi and made that trip a number of times. I didn't notice any more checks than other vehicles.

Edited by Gary A