Scaramucci says Trump must own his initial failure to condemn neo-Nazis

webfact

Scaramucci says Trump must own his initial failure to condemn neo-Nazis

By Chris Michaud

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci speaks during an on air interview at the White House in Washington, U.S., July 26, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fired White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci described President Donald Trump as a "compassionate person" on Monday but said he should have condemned neo-Nazis in his initial statement about the violence in Virginia.

Scaramucci fielded more boos than cheers when he "went into the lion's den", by his own account, by appearing for a chat with liberal late night talk show host Stephen Colbert.

In one of his first public appearances since being fired by Trump after just 10 days in the job following a lewd telephone interview with The New Yorker magazine, Scaramucci punted questions about Trump's culpability for not condemning neo-Nazis and white supremacists following a deadly rally on Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Colbert, host of the CBS talk show "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert," pointed out that the president's more forthright condemnation of white nationalists on Monday came "two days later," asking: "Does he order his spine on (shopping web site) Amazon Prime?"

"Only he really can answer that question," replied Scaramucci.

The former White House official insisted Trump was a compassionate person, a contention that drew booing from the studio audience, which led Colbert to implore, "Don't boo him for being the messenger."

But Scaramucci took issue with the administration's failure to condemn extremist views such as white supremacy, saying "What I don't like is the toleration of it."

That remark elicited cheers.

When Scaramucci, who has said he remains a firm Trump supporter, said that Trump "should have condemned white supremacy and neo-Nazis" earlier, Colbert asked "who stopped him?"

"At the end of the day, it's the president himself," he replied.

Scaramucci's July 31 ouster followed comments he made to The New Yorker which included a profanity-laced attack against then-White House chief of staff Reince Priebus and Trump's chief strategist, Steve Bannon.

Of Bannon, he told Colbert, “If it was up to me, he would be gone," adding that he thought Bannon was behind many of the leaks coming out of the White House.

As to his short-lived tenure, Scaramucci reflected: "I didn’t think I'd last too long, but I thought I'd last longer than a carton of milk."

After the taping, Scaramucci posted on Twitter that he "went into the lion's den" but only "came out with a few scratches" and was "still standing," adding, "I appreciated the (opportunity)."

He told Colbert he would recommend that Trump do the show, saying: "I think it's been great."

(Editing by Chris Michaud)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-15

trump doesn't "own" anything in the sense Mooch is suggesting.

Forget about having any hope of him ever changing.

The thing now, the only thing, is to get him REMOVED.

He's not only the worse president in American history, he's a horrible human being. Total sleazeball. Conman. Terminal liar. Call him insane. Call him evil. It doesn't matter. Just impeach him already. For the good of the nation and the planet. 

In his Charlottesville do-over, Trump insists he got it right the first time.

Trump’s contempt for reality is such that he is not content to mislead the American people in the moment. He compounds the lie by telling us, in direct contradiction to what we’ve seen and heard, that he has always been doing whatever it is he wants to have been doing. No universe exists in which any Trump response could have possibly been inadequate or wrongheaded. Over the weekend, Trump delivered the perfect address to salve Charlottesville’s wounds and fire up its moral conscience. On Monday, he just repeated it for all us dummies who missed it the first time.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/08/in_his_charlottesville_do_over_trump_insists_he_got_it_right_the_first_time.html

Edited by Jingthing

I think the fault lies with the decision by the local authority to take down the statue of Robert E. Lee ! It would appear that the liberals wish to remove all traces of anything that does not fall in with their incredibly narrow train of thought. Lee was a great general, and a large item in the history of what made America what it is today. Why these people are called "liberals" completely evades me, as they are the antithesis of liberal thinking. Why not destroy every book on the planet that contains the name Hitler, one may ask ?

9 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I think the fault lies with the decision by the local authority to take down the statue of Robert E. Lee ! It would appear that the liberals wish to remove all traces of anything that does not fall in with their incredibly narrow train of thought. Lee was a great general, and a large item in the history of what made America what it is today. Why these people are called "liberals" completely evades me, as they are the antithesis of liberal thinking. Why not destroy every book on the planet that contains the name Hitler, one may ask ?

Are you actually saying the fault (that the man-child pathetically and disgustingly failed to condemn the neo-nazis) lies with the local authority??? 

Well, I guess in the alternate universe of the trumpets that's a possibility....:coffee1:

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

I would suggest if there were a huge statue of Hitler it would have been taken down a long time ago. Lee was pro-slavery so a great general for some but for many a reminder of the days of slavery

Regrettably, the term liberal has become a term of abuse in the USA. In reality it is a major wing of thought and action and is a counter to conservatism. Both of these terms are now misused by people who should, and by some who do, know better.

9 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Lee was a great general

PS: Lee lost the Civil War on the battlefield and had to unconditionally surrender to Gen. Grant - Lee was a LOSER.

Gen. Grant was not only a great general but became POTUS - a WINNER. Where his his statue?

9 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

It would appear that the liberals wish to remove all traces of anything that does not fall in with their incredibly narrow train of thought.

Why these people are called "liberals" completely evades me, as they are the antithesis of liberal thinking.

Liberals. liberals. liberals. echo echo echo ...

Why these people myopically parrot "liberals" everytime someone disagrees with them completely evades me.

Completely.

:coffee1:

11 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

A great general in a very bad cause.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

PS: Lee lost the Civil War on the battlefield and had to unconditionally surrender to Gen. Grant - Lee was a LOSER.

Gen. Grant was not only a great general but became POTUS - a WINNER. Where his his statue?

Indeed. However there was something disturbing about seeing a feral mob tearing down that statue, spitting and kicking on it when it had fallen. I can understand anger related to the deaths and to Trump's pathetic response but hate to see a mob in action, regardless of their poilitics. I would have left the thing where it was as I reminder of history and as a contrast with the present.

17 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

However there was something disturbing about seeing a feral mob tearing down that statue, spitting and kicking on it when it had fallen.

I can understand anger related to the deaths and to Trump's pathetic response but hate to see a mob in action, regardless of their poilitics.

I would have left the thing where it was as I reminder of history and as a contrast with the present.

:blink:

Do you mean N. Carolina?

The Gen. Lee statue has not been removed yet.

Heroes to some, tyrants to others:

15 minutes ago, iReason said:

:blink:

Do you mean N. Carolina?

The Gen. Lee statue has not been removed yet.

Heroes to some, tyrants to others:

It was very reminiscent of that. It hasn't been removed? I saw a mob pulling it down...maybe a different one?

Edited by Prbkk

Why anyone is even paying attention to this loser is beyond me.....his only claim to fame is a 10 day stint at the White House,.....hardly what one would call a legacy entitling him to comment on anything .........

This sleaze ball gives meaning to the term fake news