Getting Skype to run on new computer

The Deerhunter

I have a new Windows 10 Dell Desktop machine. I previously was using an ACER notebook but it got unreliable so I bought the Dell. Today just as I was about to transfer all my user files across from the Windows 7 ACER to the new DELL, the ACER died. I think it will be final this time but will get it looked at as soon as I get free of the current tasks.   In the meantime however, I wanted to talk to a friend so fired up Skype for the first time on the new Dell desktop machine.  I was asked to log in which I did. My Login-in was accepted using my Microsoft account login and password.   I was then asked to connect my address book by clicking on a green box, which I did.   I was then asked to confirm my phone number in a similar manner, but after clicking this numerous times nothing happened.  The Skype interface looks really incomplete with only two contact names on the left side.  I can bring up a full list of contacts but it drops into the middle of the screen.     But, in the top left corner of my screen under the word Skype there is a little yellow triangle and the words "Not connected to SKYPE"!!!  And no apparent obvious way of actually connecting to Skype.   How do I get actually Skype working on my new Dell machine?  PS.  Skype was working perfectly well on the ACER notebook in the past.

Archived