Visitors to Thailand by Country - Any stats for Phuket?

camwilsonart

I've been thinking of coming back to Phuket and starting a small biz. Was doing research and looking at the visitor stats by country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand
China of course dominates but I'm surprised Russia isn't a lot higher.  Maybe Russians gather in mostly Phuket and Pattaya?
Anyone know of some visitor stats specific to Phuket? The business would be directed towards English speaking or Thai clientele so I would like to see the trend and history of English speaking countries coming to Phuket.

If Bangkok is any indicator, I would say the number of arrivals from English-speaking countries has declined dramatically. Although living in Phuket, I'm currently in BKK, having stayed in 2 different hotels this week. Both with nearly 100% occupancy, and the vast majority of guests being from South Asia and the Middle East as well as China. Have seen *very* few English-speakers and Russians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

A lot of statistics on Wiki for arrivals to Phuket. Apparently there were over 8 million international arrivals in 2016. It's about the 15th most visited destination on the planet.

Perusal of the list of airlines will give strong clues as to origin of passengers. Not hard to see most are from China. Not many from Europe these days other than via the large middle east companies. As stated above, many transit from other airports. (A lot of Australians come via Singapore and KL for example)

A clue about visitor numbers can be gained from the fact that Australia has recently opened a consulate general in Phuket and Russia has announced they will also do the same.

Edited by Old Croc

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the feedback! What everyone is saying about Phuket pretty much mirrors what i have noticed in BKK and Chonburi. Maybe not so great for someone wanting to start an english based business. I guess I have to learn Mandarin and a few more languages.

On 16.8.2017 at 7:16 AM, schlog said:

Arabs and Chinese everywhere especially in Jungcylon.

Yesterday (Aug. 24) I was at BigC in Jungceylon to buy some things, it was a nightmare. Almost impossible to walk through the shop, like on a village market in China.

4 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Unless u really have something different and unique

ur 10 years to late to start anything here in Phuket

unless ur just looking for somewhere to wash ur $$

So your advise is a car wash laaa?

A cash wash car wash machine lol.

Edited by schlog