10-Year Visas Now Available: Thai Immigration

webfact

4 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I know exactly what I'm talking about as I'm in the middle of the Thai citizenship process. Is that what you're referring to? "Riab nagai" but "mai ngai" :)

Why did you not answer my questions? 

My questions were:- 

Where do you come from?

Do they give visa for 5 years to retired foreigners? 

Or are you talking about me saying it's easier here than if I went to say, the USA?

Expand man instead at that pathetic insulting reply.

Fine!

You said it is much harder to obtain citizenship in Western countries than in Thailand.

I say this is a bunch of nonsense.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I am from Serbia and came to Canada at the age of 19.

It was very easy for me to get permanent residency and no, I didn't come as a refugee.

What chance do I ever have getting a permanent residency in Thailand or let alone citizenship? Pardon me when I ROFL at your post while prepare to leave for my 90 day report and arrange  another visa run (or annual 400k in bank while taking pictures with my wife in bed) as being married means nothing here.

No, I am not whining and I accept it (for now, of course - because it suits me at the moment), but maybe you should go back and admit that your post was pretty embarrassing.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it both ways .  But if you guys say it is spelled farang that's fine with me.  

I think Canada is much easier than USA for a visa or citizenship.  Not even in the same ball park!.   It's interesting to see the opinions of HiSo farang.   Just have assistants fo everything.  Gives a glimpse on what Thai HiSo think and why nothing ever improves.  

On 8/21/2017 at 3:55 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Fine!

You said it is much harder to obtain citizenship in Western countries than in Thailand.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I am from Serbia and came to Canada at the age of 19.

It was very easy for me to get permanent residency and no, I didn't come as a refugee.

What chance do I ever have getting a permanent residency in Thailand or let alone citizenship? Pardon me when I ROFL at your post while prepare to leave for my 90 day report and arrange  another visa run (or annual 400k in bank while taking pictures with my wife in bed) as being married means nothing here.

No, I am not whining and I accept it (for now, of course - because it suits me at the moment), but maybe you should go back and admit that your post was pretty embarrassing.

Yeah, Canada want immigrants, especially years ago. 

It's much easier for me to get Citizenship in Thailand than Oz or the USA. I'm sure when I retire, it would be even harder.

What chance have you got of gaining Thai Citizenship?

It depends, if you work and are married, its easy -  3 years of working earning more than 40k a month. 

So let me ask first, do you work? 

Can you speak Thai?

How was my post embarrassing? 

22 hours ago, Elkski said:

I've seen it both ways .  But if you guys say it is spelled farang that's fine with me.  

I think Canada is much easier than USA for a visa or citizenship.  Not even in the same ball park!.   It's interesting to see the opinions of HiSo farang.   Just have assistants fo everything.  Gives a glimpse on what Thai HiSo think and why nothing ever improves.  

I work as a translator, trust me, it transcribes to "farang".  Uneducated people, like bar girls(esp from NE Thailand) say it like "falang" but officially the Thai letter, "raw reua" transcribes to "R". 

Kinda tells you a lot.

9 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I work as a translator, trust me, it transcribes to "farang".  Uneducated people, like bar girls(esp from NE Thailand) say it like "falang" but officially the Thai letter, "raw reua" transcribes to "R". 

Kinda tells you a lot.

Doesn't the same work for aloy and aroy as in delicious?

Just askin?

Have to say my in-laws use 'expat'.

No more off topic from me though. ?

Edited by overherebc

On 8/16/2017 at 3:00 AM, Suradit69 said:

A whole lot of people seem to get marriage extensions (not visas) without any problem. If you're facing difficulty getting a one year extension, why would you assume getting a visa or extension for a longer period would be problem free?

I have no plans to apply for this visa, but why would you assume that many retirees have less of a connection to Thailand than you do. Many retirees are married to Thais and have children here. 

I have an eighteen year connection to Thailand and get retirement extensions every year. Why is someone who chose to get married so much more "connected" to Thailand?

Because eventually you'll be giving it all to Thailand and be left with nothing.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:55 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What chance do I ever have getting a permanent residency in Thailand or let alone citizenship?

ZERO; have been here what seems forever and i too have zero chance ; why is that ? PM is tied to work; i am 70 and have been retired a long time; why should PM, for those of us that have lived here a long time be tied to work ?

if it is all about money, fine (it still sucks) then make an asset requirement; the citizen thing is on absurd quotas with an attendant larger-than-life-stupid process

Edited by YetAnother

48 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

ZERO; have been here what seems forever and i too have zero chance ; why is that ? PM is tied to work; i am 70 and have been retired a long time; why should PM, for those of us that have lived here a long time be tied to work ?

if it is all about money, fine (it still sucks) then make an asset requirement; the citizen thing is on absurd quotas with an attendant larger-than-life-stupid process

Worked here on and off while staying here for a long time on contracts and paid a 'lot' of tax. Never had a contract lasting more than 3 years so no chance to apply if I had wanted to.

Still, keep what keeps me going outside so if I really wanted to could go next week.

On 21/08/2017 at 3:55 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Fine!

You have every chance, have a read about it, it's actually much easier than getting permanent residency in the US.  All you need to do is have a few consecutive 1year non immigrant visas and then start your application, it is not at all difficult, why the defeatist attitude, very hard to understand where you are coming from when so many complete the process every year.  As for needing photos to prove your marriage, you need a lot more when entering the UK on the basis of marriage, you also will need photos but you also need to pass a language proficiency test and a Britishness test, and if you don't move on the route toward citizenship then the longest you can stay in the country is 6 months of the year, clearly much easier for us in Thailand and to attempt to claim otherwise would be an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

There is an asset based option open to investors but it is quite large, I think 50 million.

The quota is probably not relevant to you, the only countries that ever fill their quota  are India, Bangladesh, Myanmar and the odd other neighboring country, all the expats complaining just simply can't be bothered, it comes down to lack of dedication not a lack of places, and what country would dish out citizenship to people who are not dedicated?  Try UAE if you want to buy it, here you will have to prove yourself.

9 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

You have every chance, have a read about it, it's actually much easier than getting permanent residency in the US.  All you need to do is have a few consecutive 1year non immigrant visas and then start your application, it is not at all difficult, why the defeatist attitude, very hard to understand where you are coming from when so many complete the process every year.  As for needing photos to prove your marriage, you need a lot more when entering the UK on the basis of marriage, you also will need photos but you also need to pass a language proficiency test and a Britishness test, and if you don't move on the route toward citizenship then the longest you can stay in the country is 6 months of the year, clearly much easier for us in Thailand and to attempt to claim otherwise would be an embarrassment.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my information is that 3 consecutive 'extensions of stay' are required along with an unbroken tax record for those 3 years. Any break in tax records eg change job and have a month or two off and you start again for the 3 years. 

A multi entry O visa is not accepted as you only have 90 day entries so you're not full time in Thailand. Not sure about multi B but I think the same applies.

As I said, willing to be corrected.

21 hours ago, HooHaa said:

im sorry, why is it such a big deal if you have the money?

seed the account, transfer it out the visa is cheap as chips.

beats PAYING a million for 5 years elite  style.....

1 million baht elite is 20 years not 5.

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

There is no quota for the Citizenship process. You're thinking about Permanent Residency.

It not about money, and quite rightly so. it's about what you can offer Thailand. 

20 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well said. Most here believe the barstool rumours.

6 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

There is no quota for the Citizenship process. You're thinking about Permanent Residency.

It not about money, and quite rightly so. it's about what you can offer Thailand. 

Everywhere I read it states that obtaining permanent residency is extremely confusing and difficult.

Annual quota is 100 applications per country.

To obtain citizenship you need to be a permanent resident.

I believe you and the other guy are extremely dedicated, but that doesn't mean it's easy or even closely comparable to the West.

The big difference is that most countries grant you permanent residency while living outside of the country.

So, to put it simply I don't believe your claims that it is relatively easy comparing to other countries. Like I said, I got my Canadian permanent residency in 1992 and it was relatively straight forward and this was during the civil war when people got massively rejected.

However, I will give you this. I absolutely have no motivation to find out how difficult or easy it is to be granted permanent residency or a Thai citizenship. Why would I waste my time on a country that will give me nothing in return? When the time comes I will gladly go back to Canada and get world class free medicare and government pension even though I wasn't even born there. They will give the same to my Thai wife if she chooses to follow me.

So, indeed.... why bother. A waste of time.

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Everywhere I read it states that obtaining permanent residency is extremely confusing and difficult.

Annual quota is 100 applications per country.

To obtain citizenship you need to be a permanent resident.

I believe you and the other guy are extremely dedicated, but that doesn't mean it's easy or even closely comparable to the West.

The big difference is that most countries grant you permanent residency while living outside of the country.

So, to put it simply I don't believe your claims that it is relatively easy comparing to other countries. Like I said, I got my Canadian permanent residency in 1992 and it was relatively straight forward and this was during the civil war when people got massively rejected.

However, I will give you this. I absolutely have no motivation to find out how difficult or easy it is to be granted permanent residency or a Thai citizenship. Why would I waste my time on a country that will give me nothing in return? When the time comes I will gladly go back to Canada and get world class free medicare and government pension even though I wasn't even born there. They will give the same to my Thai wife if she chooses to follow me.

So, indeed.... why bother. A waste of time.

You don't need PR to get Citizenship, since 2012(I think), if you are married to a Thai.

Waste of time for you, fair enough but not for me, for many reasons. 

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my information is that 3 consecutive 'extensions of stay' are required along with an unbroken tax record for those 3 years. Any break in tax records eg change job and have a month or two off and you start again for the 3 years. 

A multi entry O visa is not accepted as you only have 90 day entries so you're not full time in Thailand. Not sure about multi B but I think the same applies.

As I said, willing to be corrected.

I think multi entry o will be accepted as long as you have the extension of stay granted by either funds in the bank or income, same for a type b.  Those who unfortunately lose out are the poor teachers employed illegally in consecutive 11 month visas, they have no chance.

7 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I think multi entry o will be accepted as long as you have the extension of stay granted by either funds in the bank or income, same for a type b.  Those who unfortunately lose out are the poor teachers employed illegally in consecutive 11 month visas, they have no chance.

The most important thing is the 3 years of tax receipts on an income over 40k(if married to Thai).

Why would a teacher accept an 11 month contract?

7 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

The most important thing is the 3 years of tax receipts on an income over 40k(if married to Thai).

Why would a teacher accept an 11 month contract?

I think most foreign teachers in Thailand are on 11 month contracts, even those who receive 12 months pay are often on 11 month contracts with an annual bonus equivalent to one month pay.  The schools like to keep their foreign teachers in these temporary contracts to avoid them gaining full employment rights.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I think most foreign teachers in Thailand are on 11 month contracts, even those who receive 12 months pay are often on 11 month contracts with an annual bonus equivalent to one month pay.  The schools like to keep their foreign teachers in these temporary contracts to avoid them gaining full employment rights.

Again willing to be proved wrong but just because the employer makes you sign a new contract every year doesn't mean that after 3 years with the same employer you are not entitled to 3 years severence pay etc.

eg. My wife worked for the same company for 7 years. The first 4 years on one engineering contract. At the end of that contract she moved to BKK on a different contract for 3 years.

When that one one finished the company said she was only entitled to 3 years severence. She went to the Labour Court, produced 7 years of tax records and won the case and got severence based on 7 years continuous work.

If more teachers knew the real circumstances they could do the same if the 'school' pays them off.

Here's the visa connection. If they push you to get an extension based work they cancel it when you finish work and you get 7 days to leave. Most employees blindly accept it and move on not realising what they are entitled to whether they sign a contract every year or not.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Again willing to be proved wrong but just because the employer makes you sign a new contract every year doesn't mean that after 3 years with the same employer you are not entitled to 3 years severence pay etc.

eg. My wife worked for the same company for 7 years. The first 4 years on one engineering contract. At the end of that contract she moved to BKK on a different contract for 3 years.

When that one one finished the company said she was only entitled to 3 years severence. She went to the Labour Court, produced 7 years of tax records and won the case and got severence based on 7 years continuous work.

If more teachers knew the real circumstances they could do the same if the 'school' pays them off.

Here's the visa connection. If they push you to get an extension based work they cancel it when you finish work and you get 7 days to leave. Most employees blindly accept it and move on not realising what they are entitled to whether they sign a contract every year or not.

You may well be correct, but the only way to be sure would be to take it to court.  One thing is for sure, if the teacher takes the school to court the second year after requesting and being refused a new 12 month contract they will win, this has been done, and you could also claim constructive dismissal and leave with severance,

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You may well be correct, but the only way to be sure would be to take it to court.  One thing is for sure, if the teacher takes the school to court the second year after requesting and being refused a new 12 month contract they will win, this has been done, and you could also claim constructive dismissal and leave with severance,

I think we agree but we are way off topic I suppose.

11 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I very much doubt this is for sure. Most teachers I know are on year to year contracts, which can be considered permanent work after a few year, but not 1.

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I very much doubt this is for sure. Most teachers I know are on year to year contracts, which can be considered permanent work after a few year, but not 1.

The very longest would be two years as that is when the full rights start, but teachers have taken schools refusing to offer a second 12 month contract to court and won, it should be an open and shut case as it is so clear in the labour law that it is not allowed to offer consecutive temporary contracts, government institutions being specifically named as being unable to ever offer them.  Take a read of the law before voicing any more doubts, it is hardly ambiguous.