Funds/Cash required by Immigration to re enter Thailand

I Have been reading several posts of visa holders being denied entry as they were unable

to produce/show 20000 Baht cash.

I have a retirement visa/re entry permit and

will shortly be leaving Thailand for a 10 day overseas holiday.

My question is,is this a NEW requirement by Immigration that I should have 20000 Baht cash with me on arrival back to Thailand?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I Have been reading several posts of visa holders being denied entry as they were unable
to produce/show 20000 Baht cash.
I have a retirement visa/re entry permit and
will shortly be leaving Thailand for a 10 day overseas holiday.
My question is,is this a NEW requirement by Immigration that I should have 20000 Baht cash with me on arrival back to Thailand?

I have the same and I haven't been asked as yet by Immigration.

I have seen no reports of person on a a long stay extension  being asked for financial proof when entering with a re-entry permit.

It is only required if entering with a visa.  Entering with a re-entry permit is not the same since it not a new entry.

• Like 2

As I originally heard about it, the 20,000 BAHT requirement harkens back to a much older law and was to ensure that those arriving on a visa waiver had enough to live on while staying in the kingdom.

Anyone on a retirement visa would already have had to show evidence of financial solvency and therefore the 20,000 in hand condition would not apply.

However, these days if I were planning to reside in kingdom under any auspices, I would have the phone digits of a very reliable legal practice programmed into my phone with plenty of phone credit for when I would enter/exit Thailand or visit the immigration office.

• Like 1

As I originally heard about it, the 20,000 BAHT requirement harkens back to a much older law and was to ensure that those arriving on a visa waiver had enough to live on while staying in the kingdom.

Anyone on a retirement visa would already have had to show evidence of financial solvency and therefore the 20,000 in hand condition would not apply.

However, these days if I were planning to reside in kingdom under any auspices, I would have the phone digits of a very reliable legal practice programmed into my phone with plenty of phone credit for when I would enter/exit Thailand or visit the immigration office.

After this we can close not the topic, but the forum itself....

This is an acceptable signature (hopefully)

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Got multiple entries non O based on marriage, just came back from Satun border, no money asked. They checking only tourist visa and visa exemption as I know.

Also ED.  With any visa issued by MFA, I would carry it.  Though it should not be necessary for re-entry on those types of entries (as it is not a "new entry"), I would carry it anyway.

For retirement or marriage extended by immigration in-country - I would not carry it, because you already cleared your finances with Immigration, themselves. 

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

If your not sure why not just bring it anyway?

Many people (like me) don't like to walk around with a wad of cash (ATMs are everywhere), and travelers checks have zero value in today's world, except for 2 things:

1. Entering Thailand to show money. 
  2. Traveling to a very undeveloped part of a very undeveloped country or a war-zone which lacks the telecommunications network needed to support ATMs (aka "phone lines").

One more good reason to get an extension for Immigration if possible - to avoid this one extra hassle.

Once again clearly shows,, the mix up of wrong termologi.... The Op do NOT have a VISA,,, he have a extension of stay based on retirement, therefore no need to show any cash.. Which is merely aimed for VISA and NO VISA-holders (VISA-excempt)...

Glegolo

Never quite sure exactly who this applies to. I have 2 friends from Oz to visit next Xmas/New Year for a few days (respectable middle-aged couple), will be travelling I assume on Oz p/p's (or possibly UK) and therefore VOA. They've never been near Thailand in their lives before.

So what should I advise them? My preference is to tell them to bring Oz dollars (including for me!) to get the best xrate here at Vasu or SuperRich. Alternatively 20k฿ (is that each ie 40K between them)??

10 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Never quite sure exactly who this applies to. I have 2 friends from Oz to visit next Xmas/New Year for a few days (respectable middle-aged couple), will be travelling I assume on Oz p/p's (or possibly UK) and therefore VOA. They've never been near Thailand in their lives before.

So what should I advise them? My preference is to tell them to bring Oz dollars (including for me!) to get the best xrate here at Vasu or SuperRich. Alternatively 20k฿ (is that each ie 40K between them)??

The will be getting a visa a 30 day exempt entry not a VOA.

If it is their first trip ever to here the chances of them being asked to show the 20k baht is almost zero.

It would be the equivalent of 20k baht each.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The will be getting a visa a 30 day exempt entry not a VOA.

If it is their first trip ever to here the chances of them being asked to show the 20k baht is almost zero.

It would be the equivalent of 20k baht each.

OK, thanks for that. I'll tell them to bring lots of lovely Oz dollars. [I recall now being asked to show money once before - I guess about 3 or 4 years ago - & they were quite happy with me flashing a wad of Oz dollars at them.]