New Price "Wine" in the box???

moonseeker

Anybody with knowledge how much the 5 L box of Montclair Fruitwine will be with the new taxes taking effect and of the month? Lots of talk and speculations.....

Surely there is a TV member with confirmed numbers...???

Thanks and regards.  MS>

So, I did a bit of asking around with a couple of friends who buy that stuff. One was told in one big "wholesale-place" it would be  1'700.-per 5 L box. The next one told me, the sales-rep. of Mont-Clair told him just 2 days ago, it would go to 1'440.--

I asked 2 sales ladies in 2 different supermarkets......  "Mai luu, 5555"...

The law talks about an increase, based on alcohol contents, but I still hope we will get some informed and confirmed answer from anybody on TV. THX.  MS>

9 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Anybody with knowledge how much the 5 L box of Montclair Fruitwine will be with the new taxes taking effect and of the month?

As with most things in Thailand, I suspect that no one will have the faintest idea until the dust actually settles.

One thing I can say is that the 8ltr boxes of Mont Clair (which are only sold at Makro) work out quite a bit cheaper per litre than the regular 5ltr ones. And occasionally you can even get them discounted.

Personally I stick with beer.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As with most things in Thailand, I suspect that no one will have the faintest idea until the dust actually settles.

One thing I can say is that the 8ltr boxes of Mont Clair (which are only sold at Makro) work out quite a bit cheaper per litre than the regular 5ltr ones. And occasionally you can even get them discounted.

Personally I stick with beer.

I have seen the 8 litre box's in Tesco, Big C.Tops and Villa

43 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

I have seen the 8 litre box's in Tesco, Big C.Tops and Villa

The 8ltr boxes in Makro have "Makro exclusive" printed on them and I certainly have never seen them elsewhere: just the normal 5ltr boxes. But then I dont visit all shops and I rarely actually look at wine prices. I wonder what the price of these larger boxes is in the other stores you mention? I think that the standard Makro price is 1199B (ie 150B/ltr), though occasionally they do them for less as a special offer. Fairly sure I bought one for a friend once for under 1100B.

17 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe they were 10L  boxes

I dont think they exist in that size.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 9:04 AM, KittenKong said:

he 8ltr boxes in Makro have "Makro exclusive" printed on them and I certainly have never seen them elsewhere: just the normal 5ltr boxes. But then I dont visit all shops and I rarely actually look at wine prices. I wonder what the price of these larger boxes is in the other stores you mention? I think that the standard Makro price is 1199B (ie 150B/ltr), though occasionally they do them for less as a special offer. Fairly sure I bought one for a friend once for under 1100B.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, stanleycoin said:

Maybe they were 10L  boxes

I dont think they exist in that size.

10L Boxes are back in Lotus  Sukhumvet, Jomtien :jap:

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes in Tescos, 1500 baht so still 150 baht a litre. Perfectly drinkable unless you are a wine snob.

Yes,   i refuse to buy red wine over here anymore,  its just a total rip off.

so fruit loop for me,  just add a splash of soda makes it just drinkable  :jap:

30 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes in Tescos, 1500 baht so still 150 baht a litre. Perfectly drinkable unless you are a wine snob.

I'm a wine snob so far as I like quality wine.  Just like I prefer quality beer.  Fish.  Steak.  Etc.  Why settle for second best.

Right....I've got the budget of a plonker! LOL

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Pure nonsense! There are a few boxed "wines" that are "drinkable"; Mont Claire is not one of them. Mont Claire is bitter, with an unpleasant aftertaste that makes it a challenge to drink. You don't need to be a "wine snob" to know that something is absolutely awful, and that your money is better sent on something else or foregoing "wine" all together. 

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Mont Clair is not drinkable, I totally agree, Mar Sol is marginally better but still rough going.

Totally agree.

When montclair was the only one available at 711 we could accept it.

But now even if you pay me I won't drink it.

Marysol is a lot more acceptable.

18 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Names of the drinkable ones would be appreciated.

Bodegas Dry Red and Y-Not are both acceptable and heads and shoulders better than Mont Claire. Peter Vella is terrible and as bad or worse than Mont Claire. I agree that Mar Sol is better than Mont Claire, but not as good as Bodegas and Y-Not. There is a 2 Liter bottle of Italian red called Corallo Rosso for less than B400 (after the tax increase) that is "OK". Friendship carries it. I like to mix the red box wine with the Corallo 50/50. I got a 1 liter bottle at Macro with a hard rubber stopper and metal "snap" that I use to mix the 2 wines and I store the wine in the fridge until I drink it. Perhaps the pouring and mixing (aeration) improves the taste, not sure, but the result is far better than either is separately, at least to me. It is IMO as good as (or slightly better than) the low end Australian real red wines, like Hardy's Cab, which I buy at the duty free for B420/liter. It will easily keep for a week after being mixed. But none of this "wine" will keep very long at "Thai room temperature" in the box or otherwise.    

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 5:27 PM, bberrythailand said:

Mont Clair I cannot anymore... Any other box that is acceptable ?!

A bar I used to go to had Berri Estates boxes and I thought the red was fine. Apparently in Australia it is regarded as only fit for homeless alcoholics, but very acceptable to our crew.

22 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

But which REAL wine sold by the bottle is acceptable for you ? The cheapest good wines that I have found are from South America, mainly Chile.

That would be about right EA, and at least you know the difference between the "wine" made with added fruit juice and that which hasn't.

For a poster to suggest that folk who don't like this fruit wine are "wine snobs" is ridiculous.

49 minutes ago, rott said:

A bar I used to go to had Berri Estates boxes and I thought the red was fine. Apparently in Australia it is regarded as only fit for homeless alcoholics, but very acceptable to our crew.

:clap2:

I must notify my friend. In her two million dollar plus house in Australia the other day I saw she had four Berri Estate casks in the pantry... it probably doesn't win any awards but you see it at barbecues all the time. 

32 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I must notify my friend. In her two million dollar plus house in Australia the other day I saw she had four Berri Estate casks in the pantry... it probably doesn't win any awards but you see it at barbecues all the time. 

I guess that there are different quality / price for each wine, and we get the lowest quality for highest price in Thailand...

2 hours ago, kkerry said:

I didvnot say that I agreed with it. Never having been to Australia I know nowt about it. Something I read gave me the impression that this was the standard opinion there.

Like I said it was fine by me, fine enough to pass on to our friend who was asking for recommendations.

10 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

I guess that there are different quality / price for each wine, and we get the lowest quality for highest price in Thailand...

I'm not sure if it is still the case but there used to be 3LT and 5LT Berri casks. My frugal friend buys a case of 5LT Lexia casks when they go on special. The casks I recall heavy drinkers low on funds buying, were Buronga Ridge and Stanley. At the start of the month they might "upgrade" to Coolibah :) Most of those would still be preferable to the lower priced wines in Thailand.

On 15/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, janclaes47 said:

Names of the drinkable ones would be appreciated.

Just about all of the cask wines we get here now are of the "fruit wine" type now, as well as bottles........these now from Australia, NZ, France, Italy, USA, South Africa and poss more that I can't recall.

Tried a few and think that Berri Estates is ok if that's your thing, but with some cheaper bottles of wine from Chile coming on the market, it's worthwhile checking those out as they don't seem to have lowered their standards to the cheap fruit wine yet.