Real Helmet on lazada, ok? or crap?

banagan

They are better than the Index ones in Big C. Probably the best of the cheaper brands available here. But I'd still rather put my head in something with an international brand name and rigorous testing.  Arai, Shoei, HJC, Bell etc

What's your head worth ? Got a cheap head ? get a cheap helmet, as the saying goes. 

Edited by Pdaz

I've bought one in the UK to bring to Thailand, but Real in Thailand is DOT approved and good value at around 2,000 baht. I think Index looked like fake helmets.

So if i had to buy in Thailand and didn't want to spend 20,000 for a Shark or other helmet i would definitely go with a Real helmet for 2,000

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've bought one in the UK to bring to Thailand, but Real in Thailand is DOT approved and good value at around 2,000 baht. I think Index looked like fake helmets.

So if i had to buy in Thailand and didn't want to spend 20,000 for a Shark or other helmet i would definitely go with a Real helmet for 2,000

I thought Shark were a great helmet with all the boxes ticked for little money, a Chinese product..

"Real" helmets are ok,I believe they are they are the only Thai made helmet that conform to DOT standard

Easy to find parts and replacement padding

..and you won't cry too much if it gets stolen.

Of course if you drive your Suzuki Hayabusa into an oncoming truck at 300kph no amount of protection will be enough !

I thought Shark were a great helmet with all the boxes ticked for little money, a Chinese product..

I've had 2 shark helmets in the UK and yes they are good, not as good as Arai or Shoei but in Thailand its ball park 20,000 vs Real 2,000. Just depends how much you are willing to spend.

I tried Real open faced helmet and its a sturdy well made product with DOT. There is an Index helmet that has DOT on the back but I'm 50/50 if its genuine. Felt less sturdy and thinner than the Real.

If you're a commuter using the helmet for short periods of time, Real is fine as long as it has a recent safety certification (DOT, Snell, ECE)- if you'll be wearing it for longer periods of time, it's hard to beat the comfort, quality, and options of a higher-end helmet like a Shoei or Arai- they're pricey, but they're worth it, imho.

20 hours ago, transam said:

I agree that Shark are very good but they are a french company and are manufacturing in Rayong, Thailand. Nothing chinese about it :)

I got a Shark Speed-R Carbon helmet right now and I think Shark are a really good choice in Thailand. Quality helmets with decent prices because there's no import duty. I think with a bit more effort into penetrating the lower cost Thai helmet market, they could take a serious chunk of the local market.

Edited by eisfeld

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I agree that Shark are very good but they are a french company and are manufacturing in Rayong, Thailand. Nothing chinese about it :)

I got a Shark Speed-R Carbon helmet right now and I think Shark are a really good choice in Thailand. Quality helmets with decent prices because there's no import duty. I think with a bit more effort into penetrating the lower cost Thai helmet market, they could take a serious chunk of the local market.

I was going back many years in the UK and Chinese manufacturer was mentioned, perhaps made for them in China at that time..

Where can you buy Shark helmets in Pattaya? I read a post about Pattaya Superbikes selling them, but looks like they went out of business. I wish I could buy in the US (as it's probably cheaper), but I don't know how it would fit my thai girl's head. So, I'll need to find a shop she can try them on and buy from them locally. Specifically looking for the shark evoline 3 as modular seems like a good choice in Thailand (and for a scooter)

Edited by H508

Where can you buy Shark helmets in Pattaya? I read a post about Pattaya Superbikes selling them, but looks like they went out of business. I wish I could buy in the US (as it's probably cheaper), but I don't know how it would fit my thai girl's head. So, I'll need to find a shop she can try them on and buy from them locally. Specifically looking for the shark evoline 3 as modular seems like a good choice in Thailand (and for a scooter)
The biggest of the bike accessory shops on Pattaya Tai about half way down on the left heading for Sik

16 hours ago, H508 said:

Honda Big Wing have a good selection of shark helmets...

19 hours ago, mark131v said:

Honda Big Wing have a good selection of shark helmets...

Bigwing Pattaya carries Shark helmets? Nice. Here in Phuket they only have Bilmola :/

I wish there was a shop that carried more inventory. There's a bunch of small shops that have a very limited selection and it's a major hassle finding which shop has what.

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Bigwing Pattaya carries Shark helmets? Nice. Here in Phuket they only have Bilmola :/

I wish there was a shop that carried more inventory. There's a bunch of small shops that have a very limited selection and it's a major hassle finding which shop has what.

Lucky in Pattaya in that way, I also think the Kawasaki shop in the other side of the road stock shark helmets as well, they certainly used to....

• 2 weeks later...

Agree. For a firm based in Rayong, it's very hard to find a shop anywhere in Thailand with more than a couple of designs. I am interested in checking out an Evoline 3 and have never seen one displayed anywhere yet????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you could consider Caberg, which are way cheaper than Arai and Shoei, but generally, have better safety ratings than either of them via https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/  5 star, compared to most 3 and 4 with the odd 5 of Shoei If you won't get upset about the helmet not being made from Carbon.  You can't go wrong with Caberg for the price.  Duke Legend 8k.

So if you want safety, put brand names and MotoGP sponsorships to one side!

10 hours ago, BBJ said:

Or you could consider Caberg, which are way cheaper than Arai and Shoei, but generally, have better safety ratings than either of them via https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/  5 star, compared to most 3 and 4 with the odd 5 of Shoei If you won't get upset about the helmet not being made from Carbon.  You can't go wrong with Caberg for the price.  Duke Legend 8k.

So if you want safety, put brand names and MotoGP sponsorships to one side!

Agree! shoei and arai tend to be overpriced shark also now have high sharp ratings and also have a few famous heads encased in them....

are there statistics on how many more lives are saved by good helmets vs. crap helmets?

I think that figure would be interesting.

here is a study on helmet safety ratings in the UK that shows little correlation between safety rating and cost:

http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

Edited by manarak

1 hour ago, manarak said:

are there statistics on how many more lives are saved by good helmets vs. crap helmets?

I think that figure would be interesting.

here is a study on helmet safety ratings in the UK that shows little correlation between safety rating and cost:

http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

Very interesting article thanks!