Successful Non-Imm O Savannakhet Visa Run

The only thing I picked up on was,

3 hours ago, petgunya said:

The official told me that I could only re-enter Thailand via airport as I already had 2 walk ins over the previous couple of months.

I have heard of the "exit by land but return by air" rule being applied to frequent border-runners or back-to-back visa exempt entry types at southern Thailand border posts. I didn't know that Mukdahan were possibly doing this as well.

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I have heard of the "exit by land but return by air" rule being applied to frequent border-runners at southern Thailand border posts but didn't know that Mukdahan are possibly doing this as well. Where were your 2 previous walk-ins done BTW?

I think the officer was commenting about the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings rule.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the officer was commenting about the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings rule.

Yes that's right Joe. My visa expired in March and a got my last 90 day stamp the day before it expired, That took me to June when I then did my first 30 day walk-out/walk-in at Masae which was valid till July 12th upon which I did another walk-out/walk-in at Masea (my 2nd and final walk in allowed for the next calendar year) valid till August 10th. Chiangmai Immigration told me that I could have got a 60 extension based on marriage for 1,900bht if showing 40,000bht monthly income, but I decided to go and get a new 12-month visa instead at Savannakhet instead of putting off the inevitable for another 2 months. 

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

"Then filled in a new Thai entry form"  this the new TM 6 ? Or just saying you filled in a TM6 to enter.

Yes, just the standard TM6 form that all foreigners have to fill out. Nothing seemed to have changed with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

If it's ok I'll wait for the paperback edition. Sorry, just being funny but a bit long for me.

Some people don't like reading a lot of text. That's fine and I appreciate that. Next time I might make a video which I'm sure would be a lot more entertaining. The main thing I wanted to convey was as much detail as possible as I found that similar informative posts really helped me in preparing for this trip. Cheers :smile:

Plus dont forget if you want to you can get a 60 day extension on every 90 day entry based on visiting wife from immigration. Which if you do an in out just before visa expires next year will give you 17 months before heading back to Savanakhet for another.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, petgunya said:

All in all it was a very pleasant trip and  a lovely little mini-vacation for me and my wife, but I would point out here that anyone with a Thai wife expecting to go to Savannakhet to get a "Marriage Visa" will not get one without showing proof of funds.

Could you please explain more. I thought the reason people went to Savannakhet is because they do not have to show proof of funds?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Could you please explain more. I thought the reason people went to Savannakhet is because they do not have to show proof of funds?

Hes getting confused i belive. Savanakhet you can get non o based on marriage showing no proof as we know.

For some reason he thought or thinks you can get an extension based on marriage there to. As we all know Extensions based on marriage (not a marriage visa)( an extension of your non o) is only available in country at immigration offices.

I thought he was a wee bit confused when i was reading about what his wife asked at consulate

Edited by jeab1980
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Hes getting confused i belive. Savanakhet you can get non o based on marriage showing no proof as we know.

For some reason he thought or thinks you can get an extension based on marriage there to. As we all know Extensions based on marriage (not a marriage visa)( an extension of your non o) is only available in country at immigration offices.

I thought he was a wee bit confused when i was reading about what his wife asked at consulate

I wasn't at all confused. I was simply under the impression (as I believe many people who read these threads on Savannakhet visa trips are also), that it was possible to get a marriage visa (not a Non-Imm 'O') from Savannakhet without showing any proof of funds and which permitted one to stay in Thailand for 12 months without the need to do 90-day border crosses. That summation was arrived at after reading countless posts on this forum over many years.

Clearly I wasn't paying close enough attention, and clearly that was the wrong impression as I soon found out at Savannakhet. I knew that I could get a 12 month Non-Imm 'O' anyway so I wasn't really too bothered either way. The English guy ahead of me at the consulate window also seemed to be under the impression that he would be getting a "Marriage Visa" and was visibly freaked out when the consulate staff insisted upon bank statements (maybe there was some other reason for them asking for bank statements. I don't know and I didn't talk to the guy as he seemed to be quite stressed out over the issue).

With regards to your comment "As we all know Extensions based on marriage (not a marriage visa)( an extension of your non o) is only available in country at immigration offices." You'll have to pardon my ignorance there because I wasn't aware of that, and I suspect that there could be one or two others that didn't/don't know that either.

Now its all clear and I'm grateful for having the updated knowledge and experience that I'm sure will be of some considerable assistance and comfort in the future.

2 minutes ago, petgunya said:

I wasn't at all confused. I was simply under the impression (as I believe many people who read these threads on Savannakhet visa trips are also), that it was possible to get a marriage visa (not a Non-Imm 'O') from Savannakhet without showing any proof of funds and which permitted one to stay in Thailand for 12 months without the need to do 90-day border crosses. That summation was arrived at after reading countless posts on this forum over many years.

Clearly I wasn't paying close enough attention, and clearly that was the wrong impression as I soon found out at Savannakhet. I knew that I could get a 12 month Non-Imm 'O' anyway so I wasn't really too bothered either way. The English guy ahead of me at the consulate window also seemed to be under the impression that he would be getting a "Marriage Visa" and was visibly freaked out when the consulate staff insisted upon bank statements (maybe there was some other reason for them asking for bank statements. I don't know and I didn't talk to the guy as he seemed to be quite stressed out over the issue).

With regards to your comment "As we all know Extensions based on marriage (not a marriage visa)( an extension of your non o) is only available in country at immigration offices." You'll have to pardon my ignorance there because I wasn't aware of that, and I suspect that there could be one or two others that didn't/don't know that either.

Now its all clear and I'm grateful for having the updated knowledge and experience that I'm sure will be of some considerable assistance and comfort in the future.

Wasnt in any way trying to annoy you or undermine your extremely good post. I suspect the guy having a hissy fit was after a TV there i belive now you have to show funds for this in Savannakhet now. I seem to recal some threads on it on here

59 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Yes,.. Savannakhet consulate staff did not ask me to provide any proof or show of funds at all. They gave me a 12 month multiple entry visa based on marriage but I still need to do 90-day exit/entry runs as the visa allows for a maximum of 90 days per visit.

As another poster has pointed out, I can get an extension based on marriage at any immigration office within Thailand provided I show adequate funds (which I think is either 400,000baht in a bank account for the past 3 months,.. or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht per month. Don't quote me on that as I am not 100% certain and will be checking the actual requirement myself prior to applying).

Just now, petgunya said:

Yes,.. Savannakhet consulate staff did not ask me to provide any proof or show of funds at all. They gave me a 12 month multiple entry visa based on marriage but I still need to do 90-day exit/entry runs as the visa allows for a maximum of 90 days per visit.

As another poster has pointed out, I can get an extension based on marriage at any immigration office within Thailand provided I show adequate funds (which I think is either 400,000baht in a bank account for the past 3 months,.. or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht per month. Don't quote me on that as I am not 100% certain and will be checking the actual requirement myself prior to applying).

You are correct but the first time you get the extension based on marriage money only needs to be in bank for two months. (Bank account in your name only) Not any immigration office the one in your province were your living. This can be done within the last 30 days of any 90 day stamps.

2 hours ago, petgunya said:

Yes that's right Joe. My visa expired in March and a got my last 90 day stamp the day before it expired, That took me to June when I then did my first 30 day walk-out/walk-in at Masae which was valid till July 12th upon which I did another walk-out/walk-in at Masea (my 2nd and final walk in allowed for the next calendar year) valid till August 10th. Chiangmai Immigration told me that I could have got a 60 extension based on marriage for 1,900bht if showing 40,000bht monthly income, but I decided to go and get a new 12-month visa instead at Savannakhet instead of putting off the inevitable for another 2 months. 

no proof of funds/income is required for a 60 day visit Thai wife extension

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Wasnt in any way trying to annoy you or undermine your extremely good post. I suspect the guy having a hissy fit was after a TV there i belive now you have to show funds for this in Savannakhet now. I seem to recal some threads on it on here

No offense taken at all. Yes it seemed strange that the guy was freaking out and clearly was telling his wife that they wanted to see bank statements. He repeated that several times and seemed to be in shock over it. 

After seeing him coming away from the window visibly distressed and carrying on about them wanting to see bank statements, my immediate thought was "oh,.. well it seems the golden days at Savanakhet have ended and now they're asking to show bank statements". I wasn't really concerned as I had Kasikorn bank statements with me just in case, even though they didn't show a 400k balance, they did show over 40,000/mthly income so that should have been fine.

But if I wasn't asked for any bank statements for my Non-Imm 'O', then why was the English guy asked,.. and what kind of visa might he have been applying for?

9 hours ago, steve187 said:

no proof of funds/income is required for a 60 day visit Thai wife extension

Sorry to keep being "that guy", but Chiangmai immigration has refused twice to give me 60 day extensions.  Both times only 30 days.  Even with my wife with me.  

3 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Sorry to keep being "that guy", but Chiangmai immigration has refused twice to give me 60 day extensions.  Both times only 30 days.  Even with my wife with me.  

Do you put 60 day to visit wife on TM7. Someone else has mentioned Chiang Mai and this problem before. Ask to speak to the boss man/woman at Immigration  politely of course to clarrify matters.

Edited by jeab1980

12 hours ago, petgunya said:

wasn't at all confused. I was simply under the impression (as I believe many people who read these threads on Savannakhet visa trips are also), that it was possible to get a marriage visa (not a Non-Imm 'O') from Savannakhet without showing any proof of funds and which permitted one to stay in Thailand for 12 months without the need to do 90-day border crosses.

There is no such visa as a 'marriage' visa, the embassy will issue a non-o SE or ME visa based on Marriage, which is what you applied for and received, what you describe regarding no need to to 90 day border crossings, is an extension of stay based on marriage, which can only be obtained from an immigration office in Thailand with the financial proof etc. requirements.

All types of non immigrant visas need to have a basis for issue, i.e. marriage, dependant children, work and so on and most can be extended based on the same reason for the original visa application.

Almost certainly the guy that was making the fuss was applying for a tourist visa and didn't have the proof of finances as per the consulate's requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1