Mountain Biking Suggestions

Puwa

I'm looking forward to a nice weeklong break at the end of January to get away from it all-- bombs, hoaxes, Rajapruek, the rising Baht, falling market, crowded streets, unfinished highways, barking dogs.

I'd like to head out of town to do some mountain biking. Has anyone here gone biking in the national parks in Chiang Mai and nearby provinces? Or, instead of parks, any advice on nice areas with good trails? I have gone further afield--Khao Kho in Petchabun and Tung Salaeng Luang in Pitsanulok--and various day trips around Chiang Mai, and now I want to explore more in the north.

Recommendations based on firsthand experience are more useful to me than "Go to TAT and get a brochure," or "Google it," or "I'm sure you could ask in one of the local bike shops," or "You may die" (recalling the responses to an inquiring rock-climber).

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to tour around the north by bicycle, but to go somewhere, set myself up in a cabin or tent or guest house, and ride out on day trips.

And in anticipation of some helpful questions, yes I have a good bike and a car to take me where I need to go, and I know that there are tour companies that arrange this sort of thing, but I'm sure I can make do without.

Thanks....Puwa

what are you looking for .. SPEED or SKILL .

take a RED pick up - UP DOI SUTHEP > _

and then ask to go on to Doi PUI >

After that Is on your Bike . Ride beyond That .

you will discover Track that is interesting .

ride in and when you find any juction

make a LEFT turn ..

you should get to a Village name Chang Kaen - RIde beyond that .. there are some Path that is destory by Earth quake or land slide many years ago .. - the VEIW is great . bring extra clothes in case you get stuck in the mountian .

is kinda COLD up the mountian - and it can drop below 5 degree .

suggest to go in at least 2 person in cas eyou get into trouble . good luck ..

i used to ride there with a rental bike . still love doing it .

Ta22

I think there are also a track ..

head toward Chiang rai .

When you reach Changrai make a turn to change sean . - cycle along the meakong river .. super view .. - i did it on a motorcycle .. not sure if bicycle is nice ..

i have a friends . he cycle to mae sai offen .

head toward Chiang rai .

good choice : chiang rai is perfect for all kinds of biking , the ultimate extreme off road climb is up to doi chiaang after the weth season

i have a friends . he cycle to mae sai offen .

from chiang mai to mae sai , in one day ?

his name is Lance ?

i did cr --> cm in about 8.30 h

cm --> phayao is a more beautifull trip

If i recall correctly he is a Chinese asian looking thai .

he is very dark .

and his name is " SAN "

i met him on a trip when i made to mae sai ,

he cycle alot . but that day i met him on the bus . while he is laoding his bike for a trip back .

nice guy and he speak many language also .

:o

if you are a cyclist you should had met him as i can see he cycle very very offen . in pro kit .

I moved from Chiang Mai to Phayao 4 months ago & the cycling here is fantastic. Basically once a week I pick a new road to explore & I haven't been disappointed yet. I like to ride on quiet dirt roads, with rolling terrain - not too technical but some rocks & bumps. Phayao has been perfect for me. The people are friendly, the scenery is beautiful, there are hardly any tourists (once you travel 1 block from Kwan Phayao), and it's close to Chiang Mai. There aren't any farang-oriented guest houses but there are some cheap local hotels in town & the place where I live (by Naresuan University, 15 kn south of town) rents out clean concrete bungalows with hot water for about 300 baht/night. I'd offer to take you on some rides myself but my gf is coming to Phayao from Chiang Mai for an extended visit at the end of this month. Still, if you decide to come to Phayao let me know & I can give you some more ideas about where to go.

I moved from Chiang Mai to Phayao 4 months ago & the cycling here is fantastic. Basically once a week I pick a new road to explore & I haven't been disappointed yet. I like to ride on quiet dirt roads, with rolling terrain - not too technical but some rocks & bumps. Phayao has been perfect for me. The people are friendly, the scenery is beautiful, there are hardly any tourists (once you travel 1 block from Kwan Phayao), and it's close to Chiang Mai. There aren't any farang-oriented guest houses but there are some cheap local hotels in town & the place where I live (by Naresuan University, 15 kn south of town) rents out clean concrete bungalows with hot water for about 300 baht/night. I'd offer to take you on some rides myself but my gf is coming to Phayao from Chiang Mai for an extended visit at the end of this month. Still, if you decide to come to Phayao let me know & I can give you some more ideas about where to go.

Hey thanks for the advice. I visited Phayao this time last year, and while I didn't do any riding, I drove around quite a bit (unsuccessfully trying to circumnavigate the lake, but that's another story). Beautiful place! Makes Chiang Mai seem like a busy metropolis. Not sure when I'll get back there again, but next time I'll bring my bike and give you a shout. First round's on me.

my car club planning a trip up chaingrai or lampang .. yet to confirm ..

if you are keen - let me know .. we will be driving in a group of about 7-10 cars .

all will be sport coupe . but any cars will do really .

we will be driving t about 110- 120km . that our average cruise speed .

- not sure where we will visit also .. is just a drive about . we do it once in a while .. is lot of fun .. join us if you free.

• 4 weeks later...

For the record, I decided to spend a few days on the Mae Rim-Samoeng route, checking out the trails on the north and west sides of Suthep-Pui national park. It's a beautiful area, and convenient to reach and to stay in. The whole Suthep-Pui park area is really perfect for biking, though some of the climbs are long. access Also camped for a couple of days at Doi Inthanon-- another great park worth visiting, and really in our back yard as well. Ahh, Chiang Mai.