Best way to send package to Bangkok from U.S.?

fordguy61mi

I need to send a small package from Michigan to my fiance in Bangkok and I would like to know the best (fastest, cheapest, and reliability factors). I see a lot of DHL drivers around Bangkok when I am there but is FedEx or some other way better? Thanks in advance.

Edited by fordguy61mi

It depends on a number of factors, including what kind of item/items you want to send, and will this be a one-time mailing, or you're expecting to be doing repeat mailings periodically.

Assuming you're talking a box and not just documents, for anything of any value, I'd avoid FedEx and DHL entirely, because items sent to Thailand via those services are far more likely to get held by Thai Customs, and then only delivered to your recipient with an often sizeable extra payment due for customs duty, tax, handling, etc.

For a one-time box/package shipment, just use USPS Priority or Express Mail International, which can include insurance, and will be delivered in Thailand by the regular Thai Post mailman, usually with no extra fees or at worst a small handling fee. Works perfectly fine. And USPS will even give you the box you need for free at your local post office.

If you're expecting to be doing repeat mailings of boxes, then it might pay to sign up with an international package forwarding service like Planet Express or Shipito in California. That way, you can send directly to them or order things online, have them delivered by Amazon or whomever to your PE or Shipito address in CA, and then use their often very much less expensive international airmail rates to have the package sent onward to Thailand -- all of which you can manage and direct via their websites.

If you're planning to send anything with lithium batteries or things with high declared values (like over $100), then you have a few more complications to deal with.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As the tall guy says it's very much dependent but as it's a small package it has better chance of getting through providing the declared value is low. If it's a phone for example I'd send that without the battery to be on the safe side. Thai post from my own experiences has never failed. Aproximately 30 packages over 5 years but if it's of some form of "cannot be replaced value" stick to reputable firms and be prepared for a fly on the wall inspection.  Ups imo is the worst. TNT not too bad at all but that was from China which might have made a difference.

I believe USPS still has a reasonably priced Priority Mail flat rate envelope (one price regardless of weight) for documents that can be used internationally. It would be delivered here at this end by Thai Post. But, if all you're mailing is documents, then you don't have to worry about Customs duty and can use any service you like. But USPS probably will be better on price than FedEx or DHL. Though FedEx and DHL are absolutely reliable for documents and no Customs issues to worry about.

USPS Priority mail international flat rate envelopes -- about $24.

https://www.usps.com/international/priority-mail-international.htm

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My sister in the US just sent me a 1 lb box containing several pair of glasses via USPS. She used the cheapest option but I forget what it was called. Cost about $20 and arrived in 2 weeks, delivered to my Bangkok address by Thai Post.  No duty or fees asked.

i just mailed six large boxes (12-14 kg each) from

china, via china post surface mail, to my girlfriend's

address here in bangkok.

all received within 3-4 weeks of shipment.  none

held in customs, not opened, no additional fees.

all delivered to the condo, except for one i had to

pick up at the local post in person as it was marked

damaged....the box had split on one side.

I vote for USPS.  I just sent a small package to a friend in Thailand that way; it cost $18 US and arrived in a little under a week.  Make sure you take all newly purchased items out of their original wrapping, and don't include any receipts or invoices in the package.  Mark it as a gift on the customs form, and declare a low value (they used to let you declare a value of $0, but no more...I declared $5).  I also recommend that you have your fiancée type her name and address in Thai (with only one large word in English at the bottom, of course: Thailand); print it out and tape it on the package.  The address will have to be written in English on the customs form, of course.