4-year Professional Visas Get Green Light

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When virtually every know proffessional,  trade and job is reserved exclusively for thais, I can't see anyone being granted such a visa. I have to get the wife to mow the lawns, take the garbage out and get the kid next door to roll my smokes and pour my beer.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

When virtually every know proffessional,  trade and job is reserved exclusively for thais, I can't see anyone being granted such a visa. I have to get the wife to mow the lawns, take the garbage out and get the kid next door to roll my smokes and pour my beer.

Get your "lousy bag" out you should be able to pay a few Bt for these services

On 18/08/2017 at 1:44 PM, gandalf12 said:

So I guess as a professionally registered Telecommunications Engineer I would probably qualify. The lower grade dogs you refer to are essential to every project.

Same here. Network & systems engineer qualified.. How do you go about getting the visa? 

Like the much anticipated new 10 year visa that's actually costlier than an Elite Visa when lost interest income is factored in

Elite Visa is 1 mil baht for 10 years. May I know where can you get more than that in yearly interest on a deposit of 3 mil baht?

27 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

Elite Visa is 1 mil baht for 10 years. May I know where can you get more than that in yearly interest on a deposit of 3 mil baht?

On a deposit?  Nowhere.  And that's the problem with parking $90,000 in a Thai bank account.

In a decent portfolio that throws off dividends and has some appreciation?  Doable.

Buying and reselling stamps, vintage cars, art, or a dozen other fun things a lot of us enjoy and have some expertise at?  Very doable.

Edit:  And I would also point out that the Elite is 500,00 now and 500,000 in 5 years.  That has a significant impact on the PV.

Edited by impulse

23 hours ago, Stardust314 said:

i hope it will be expensive. 

It will be but they only want your money and not you in person

very strange people paying for there life at 90 days at a time now 4 years at a time.

I cannot understand why people live like this, they must have lost all ambition in there life accepting the You Are Just A Guest Here. When back home they are given residential status.

I agree with what you mean, however...trying to get a local to do anything that resembles what should be done, is nigh on impossible.

I worked sporadically for several years on RTA, RTAF & RTMC maintenance contracts. All the contracts were thru a BKK company/agent & he gave me 3 "mechanics". I was the Project Manager. I wanted to fire one worthless lout so bad! Couldn't fire him though, because then his brother would quit.

Just watching the hodge-podge way  they approached work made all my hair turn grey.

I resigned myself to watching Youtube all day & just checking on them once an hour or so.

So just like a local manager then?
[emoji3]

On 8/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, JAS21 said:

In the past I was responsible for operating what was the largest Power Generating Plant in Western Europe ...now it's dust ... wonder if I would qualify ?

"was responsible for operating what was the largest Power Generating Plant in Western Europe ...now it's dust"

maybe teach em about maintenance?  555!

17 hours ago, SicTransit said:

little correction: Elite Visa is 1 mil baht for 20 years ;)

Well, I will certainly attempt to get this visa. I am already employed and living here for 12 years building 3G/4G and now 5G networks. My boss is constantly complaining that every year he gets a bill from the lawyers for my WP and Visa. I would be really happy if this worked out... I am pretty sure I could convince them to pay even a substantially higher amount to not worry about this every year.

3 minutes ago, smccolley said:

Well, I will certainly attempt to get this visa. I am already employed and living here for 12 years building 3G/4G and now 5G networks. My boss is constantly complaining that every year he gets a bill from the lawyers for my WP and Visa. I would be really happy if this worked out... I am pretty sure I could convince them to pay even a substantially higher amount to not worry about this every year.

I hope it works out for you, but I can't see a simple visa reconciling the fact that your company (or you) currently has to pay income tax on your behalf to qualify you for next year's WP and extension of stay.  I just can't see Thailand forgoing that income tax in favor of a reasonably priced, simple 4 year visa.  My fear is that the visa will be more about "the money" and less about the "highly skilled", in which case there are already multiple options through the Elite, and investment visas.

Hope I'm wrong, but tired of being disappointed, especially in the wake of the new and zoomy 10 year visa for elders with 3,000,000 baht to put in a bank at 0.5(?)% interest.

5 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I did contemplate buying the Elite Visa at a point in time. 

Then I remember I can stay here for free with a bit of travel (which I do and enjoy anyway) on 30 day entry stamps and realise I am not about to give those ******** half a million Baht of my money. That is $245 a month for five years just for the privilege to remain here.

They can ram that where the sun don't shine. 

Can't say I blame you, but the way things are tightening up, that traveling may not be sufficient to keep the welcome mat out. The $245 a month doesn't bother me.  It's the 5 year commitment.  I could see 1 year, but 5 years is a long horizon when coups happen, garbage piles up, water gets dirtier and crime increases as sidewalk vendors, beach touts, beggars and others have to find another way to support their families- not to mention getting less and less friendly. 

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

I hope it works out for you, but I can't see a simple visa reconciling the fact that your company (or you) currently has to pay income tax on your behalf to qualify you for next year's WP and extension of stay.  I just can't see Thailand forgoing that income tax in favor of a reasonably priced, simple 4 year visa.  My fear is that the visa will be more about "the money" and less about the "highly skilled", in which case there are already multiple options through the Elite, and investment visas.

Hope I'm wrong, but tired of being disappointed, especially in the wake of the new and zoomy 10 year visa for elders with 3,000,000 baht to put in a bank at 0.5(?)% interest.

I don't mind terribly paying the income tax, I'd have to pay it somewhere and at least here it is completely obvious and above board. I am just sick of jumping through hoops every year. I don't do the 90 day report as I have never been in the country that long, I travel every month somewhere. That being said I could find better ways to spend a million baht a year. 

33 minutes ago, smccolley said:

Excuse me, but  a friend got a Thai resident visa after three years.  Unless I am wrong or things have changed, what would stop your from doing this ?

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Excuse me, but  a friend got a Thai resident visa after three years.  Unless I am wrong or things have changed, what would stop your from doing this ?

The first 7 years I was here I was paying tax in the US - above board based on my travel. 5 years ago the biggest internet company bought my little company and I am now paying Thai taxes so I can consider this option. Unfortunately my Thai is weak, only conversational, and the amount of time I have to spend on that endeavor is limited. I think in the future I might. I was under the impression it was time and money intensive so I haven't pursued it. 

Do you know of  anyone who has successfully gotten PR since the junta took over? I was under the impression that process was on hold for now.

Just now, smccolley said:

The first 7 years I was here I was paying tax in the US - above board based on my travel. 5 years ago the biggest internet company bought my little company and I am now paying Thai taxes so I can consider this option. Unfortunately my Thai is weak, only conversational, and the amount of time I have to spend on that endeavor is limited. I think in the future I might. I was under the impression it was time and money intensive so I haven't pursued it. 

Do you know of  anyone who has successfully gotten PR since the junta took over? I was under the impression that process was on hold for now.

I do not know of anyone doing anything successful since the Junta usurped power.  These visa cons are the half baked ideas of those with less than nimble minds and are getting tiring.  Would do everything possible to avoid them.   Best of luck !

46 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I totally agree, that is why I am happy to spend more time in Cambodia or other countries in the region if the welcome mat is not out for me when I arrive in Thailand. 

It seems that on my last entry they are not bothering to look for consecutive 30 day stamps as I was in with no issues whatsoever. Seems like the 'crackdown' has blown over. Coincided with the massive queues at immigration as well... Make of that what you will.

Too bad, many business the relied on farang regulars have closed down.  Though the Thai food beats the Cambodian fare, Cambodia's abundance of low priced alcohol and cigars makes it a wonderful break from Thailand, Malaysia or Singapore.  The western and Chinese food is good in Cambodia.  There is an energy there that use to be in Thailand.  

Edited by yellowboat