How do you rate MG cars sold in Thailand?

davidst01

Years behind the Japanese and other Euro offerings. Built to a price, that's about it's only plus. Starting at just over 8000 quid in the UK. Haven't seen an enthusiastic review.. They all just mention the price and the fact that it's roomy in the back.

Trouble is once the excitement of the bargain price wears off there will only be disappointment. Cheap & nasty hard plasticky interior, gutless engine, poor fuel economy/emissions , only a 3 star N-Cap rating, No way to know the quality of and the long term reliability of the components. A Mazda, Toyota or Honda is a much less risky proposition. Better quality, better economy and better resale.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

One has to wonder why Chinese manufacturers continue to use this tactic of acquiring a foreign (anything from Japanese to German) brand name and badging their products with them. It is clear they are trying to dissociate from the Chinese source of the product.

Why do you think that might be? What is it that consumers are wary about when buying Chinese? What is it that makes Chinese manufacturers coy about revealing themselves?

I heard in the last couple of days that a Chinese company is likely to acquire Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.  http://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/fiat-chrysler-could-be-bought-chinese-automaker

I bought an MG5  in January last year.  Top of the range, automatic, sunroof, black leather seats.  After 18 months low to average use, both my wife and I love it.  She drives it as well.  The car is comfortable, reliable, and as we intend to keep it for many years the resale value isn't a problem.  My daughter is hanging her nose over the MG3.  We'll see about that  when she graduates!

Cheers for the review. I think they are cracking looking cars. My only reservation is about the reliability as I have heard different negative comments and as you say I too am not bothered by the resale.
The MG3 is a great funky car for a youngun.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

MGs are crap where ever they are. Ever since the Chinese took the jigs to China and started churning out a load of rubbish.  Shame,  they used to be much sort after.  

I had two MGAs when I was a kid, they were crap then. They looked good and when they ran they were fun to drive, but there was always some sort of electrical or mechanical problem.

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

MGs are crap where ever they are. Ever siincin tise Chinese took the jigs to China and started churning out a load of rubbish.  Shame,  they used to be much sort after.  

Agree pilotman.  I owned a few over the years, a TF, then a couple of B's, crap engineering at best.  I restored all three.

I'm with you smotherb, B's were great to drive, but I always had grease under my fingernails, and that damned lighting, must have been Lucas.  We called Lucas 'the prince of darkness'.  

'When they ran' describes them perfectly.

Their motorbikes were no better, probably  worse, and the rider needed to wear a raincoat to avoid being covered In oil, Then there was the BAe146 aircraft, an abomination of aviation, heavy, slow, and the  thrust of four hair dryers.

Btitish engineering doesn't have a lot of which they can be proud, but there Is the Firth of Forth bridge, so maybe they should have stuck with stationary things.

Edited by F4UCorsair

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Agree pilotman.  I owned a few over the years, a TF, then a couple of B's, crap engineering at best.  I restored all three.

I'm with you smotherb, B's were great to drive, but I always had grease under my fingernails, and that damned lighting, must have been Lucas.  We called Lucas 'the prince of darkness'.  

Their motorbikes were no better, probably  worse, and the rider needed to wear a raincoat to avoid being covered In oil, Then there was the BAe146 aircraft, an abomination of aviation, heavy, slow, and the  thrust of four hair dryers.

Btitish engineering doesn't have a lot of which they can be proud, but there Is the Firth of Forth bridge, so maybe they should have stuck with stationary things.

Most of BMC (MG) stuff from way back was exported, the USA loved their stuff...:stoner:

Many icons of motoring history were heavily influenced by UK engineering, Jaguar 6 pot (E-Type and saloons), AC Cobra, GT40 and the fab Mini come to mind. UK engineering is heavily involved with F1 development too..

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Your comment about the 146 made me laugh.  I converted to the aircraft years ago and flew it for  only 12 months after that and that was enough for me.   

1 minute ago, eezergood said:

one of my wifes friend has one, in public she loves it, however after a little coaxing she has had nothing but issues with the thing and is trying to off load it

See if you can find out the probs for our gray cells...:stoner:

I was looking in the MG showroom today and comparing prices to Honda. It seems that MG are a bit cheaper. I think the new 1.5 litre turbo X (MGS) looks quite smart. 

Does anyone have any knowledge on this brand? English brand... surely must be quality!

thanks

We have an MG3 and been very happy with the car its runs on just about everything easy to park lots of free extras thrown in. Dont believe negative comments from those who dont own one and believe that only toyota should exist (they have had more product recalls than any other manufacturers)

Sent from my A1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/19/2017 at 4:18 PM, Kadilo said:

How ironic. I was looking in the MG showroom today in Udon particularly at the MG5

The guy told me they are now assembled in Rayong. He did say the name of the company but i forget.

A couple of people I know who have the MG3 have spoken highly of them. As you say cheaper than the Honda.

The reviews I've read on the MG5 say the new turbo engine is better all round.

Yes, they are assembled in Rayong at a factory set-up as a joint-venture of CP and SAIC.
You can read the article here: http://www.cpthailand.com/รวมคอลมน/tabid/129/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2198/---MG--2557.aspx

As for their quality, I would give them another few years before considering them at the same level as other manufacturers.

Many of their cars are facing basic quality issues such as leaking door seals, breaking transmissions, paint fading, rust, etc.

Issues which are not taken care of by their dealers urgently leaving people completely in the dark regarding their car.

Yes, they are assembled in Rayong at a factory set-up as a joint-venture of CP and SAIC.
You can read the article here: http://www.cpthailand.com/รวมคอลมน/tabid/129/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2198/---MG--2557.aspx

As for their quality, I would give them another few years before considering them at the same level as other manufacturers.
Many of their cars are facing basic quality issues such as leaking door seals, breaking transmissions, paint fading, rust, etc.
Issues which are not taken care of by their dealers urgently leaving people completely in the dark regarding their car.

CP that's the one. Cheers for the advice.

6 hours ago, JoeW said:

I read owner reports from the UK about leaking seals in the first series but not more.
Can you link to a owner report about breaking transmissions, paint fading, rust?

On 8/19/2017 at 8:03 PM, Pdaz said:

Years behind the Japanese and other Euro offerings. Built to a price, that's about it's only plus. Starting at just over 8000 quid in the UK. Haven't seen an enthusiastic review.. They all just mention the price and the fact that it's roomy in the back.

Trouble is once the excitement of the bargain price wears off there will only be disappointment. Cheap & nasty hard plasticky interior, gutless engine, poor fuel economy/emissions , only a 3 star N-Cap rating, No way to know the quality of and the long term reliability of the components. A Mazda, Toyota or Honda is a much less risky proposition. Better quality, better economy and better resale.

Jay Leno made a pertinant point about Merceds and i tend to aggre.After the 280 SE 3.5 they became much the same as everyone else regarding build quality.As anyone who had the Lexus when it came out noticed.My wifes entry level 7 year old 2 seater coups no better buit than Honda or Toyota. in fact its a stupid price imo, but its company owned. so....it.!!:post-4641-1156693976:

12 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Jay Leno made a pertinant point about Merceds and i tend to aggre.After the 280 SE 3.5 they became much the same as everyone else regarding build quality.As anyone who had the Lexus when it came out noticed.My wifes entry level 7 year old 2 seater coups no better buit than Honda or Toyota. in fact its a stupid price imo, but its company owned. so....it.!!:post-4641-1156693976:

Yes Mercedes is definitely not perfect. Their rep took a bashing for their US built SUV quality control disaster. Even their older S coupe range has known fuel tank fitment issues. Both Lexus and Infinity easily compare with Euro prestige cars in terms of quality and often exceed Euro cars in terms of reliability.  I've had a range of both German and Japanese cars over the years and honestly have never had reliability or quality issues with any of them. But my own personal opinion is that I prefer the way the German cars drove and felt.  I prefer the switch gear, the layout and the (possibly only perceived) weight and solidity. My current Merc feels very different to my last old SL coupe. Bodywork is lighter, almost flexible. The interior plastics ( center console and B pillar trims ) are not that special either. But it is based on the "entry level" A series so guess they had to save money somewhere. That said, it still makes the interior of my wifes CX-5 seem cheap and nasty. Funny as previously I had noted that I thought the CX-5 interior was better than our previous CR-V.  But in Thailand the real issue I have with Japanese cars is that apart from the crazy priced GT-R there really isn't anything that I desire.  There is nothing fun and fast on offer ( BRZ maybe fun, but it's not fast ) unless you buy an older car and modify it. I just can't get excited about a Civic, Camry, Maz 3, Accord or Vios. 

So if you want a sporty performance car it's back to Audi, VW, BMW, Mini or Merc.  Their range here is also pretty poor. But still better than the what the Japs can offer.  

It doent pay to think here or you would do nothing.I see a Toyota Truck with a Tin Roof n Extra Chairs is now 35 K GBP ., so perhaps for some an MG is worth considering..,not all Protons are a calamity either,my points of view are odd because i wiil go back to BMW for my last purchase here just one more Civic then thats it?[emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

It doent pay to think here or you would do nothing.I see a Toyota Truck with a Tin Roof n Extra Chairs is now 35 K GBP ., so perhaps for some an MG is worth considering..,not all Protons are a calamity either,my points of view are odd because i wiil go back to BMW for my last purchase here just one more Civic then thats it?emoji86.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Go for it.....:stoner:

bmw-isetta_01.jpg.d1294611b04cf319bce1e8aa311902eb.jpg