Film Protection for Paintwork

pj123

About to purchase a new car and I would like to install film paint protection. Has anyone experience of this type of product? Can anyone recommend a good installer in Bangkok? 

Main reason is damage done to my current car by a car wash that left swirls of scratches on the bonnet. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the front of my Merc done two Months ago. Has a five year warranty on the 3M film but the business has closed already :laugh:

So try to find an established installer. That way when you need to go back for the inevitable adjustments/re-application they may still be in business. The product itself is worth having. It will prevent stone chips and is pretty much invisible. I've always installed it on motorbike fuel tanks (easy enough to do at home ) and the front of previous cars. 

And like everything  it takes a lot of guys to install it here too... :saai:

59983dc2997d7_FilmGang.jpg.318c3b3ca138fa3ca19f680fec9787d9.jpg

Edited by Pdaz

9 minutes ago, eezergood said:

im thinking to do the same with my new car, however its black.......

With paint protection film it doesn't matter what colour the paintwork is. My last Ducati was jet black. The PPF was just about invisible. 

2500 - 3000 baht to do just the nose. Was quoted 15K to do the front end,bonnet/hood, lower doors, wing mirrors and rear apron.

The car came from the dealers nano coated so figured I only needed PPF on the nose. 3k is cheaper and easier than a paint repair later on.

37 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

2500 - 3000 baht to do just the nose. Was quoted 15K to do the front end,bonnet/hood, lower doors, wing mirrors and rear apron.

The car came from the dealers nano coated so figured I only needed PPF on the nose. 3k is cheaper and easier than a paint repair later on.

what nano coating did they use & what are your thoughts on these?

28 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Where'd you get you're Ducati done?

Thanks

Did it myself. Bought a PPF kit for Ducati Sport 1000 on ebay. Not that difficult if you use a hand sprayer filled with water and a touch of washing up liquid. Move the film around till happy then squeegee out the air with a sponge. Lots of "how to" vids on YouTube.

4 hours ago, eezergood said:

what nano coating did they use & what are your thoughts on these?

Too be honest I probably wouldn't have bothered to have it done. But it was included in the car purchase deal. It gets checked and re-applied every service for five years. But after having it on the car for four Months now I'm pretty impressed.  It doesn't stay any cleaner in normal use but the dirt and road grime washes off much easier than my wife's untreated car. Seems to be a lot less work to keep it shiny. Rinse with the hose or jetwash and dry with a microfibre towel. Looks like new every time.

From what I have read it's not a cheap process if having it done by a third party. I've seen it advertised from 15K to 40K Baht. Alternatively it seems possible to buy the nano coating liquid quite cheaply and do the work yourself ( that's probably what I would have done ) Search on ThaiVisa I seem to remember a good thread with lots of detail a few Months back.

U dont do foil wraps.
U go get a glass coat it

They spray it and polish with SIO2
Quartz its H9 on hard scale
Diamond is H10

If u in pattaya I can give u man doing it for a good price.

Theres some that are ridiculously overpriced likr 50k

I did benz for 8k

Fortuner for 4k with my product

U can buy product for 50GBP and do it urself.

https://www.polishangel.co.uk/products/glasscoat-cosmic

http://cquartz.com

If u in pattaya I got contact

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just now, Pdaz said:

Too be honest I probably wouldn't have bothered to have it done. But it was included in the car purchase deal. It gets checked and re-applied every service for five years. But after having it on the car for four Months now I'm pretty impressed.  It doesn't stay any cleaner in normal use but the dirt and road grime washes off much easier than my wife's untreated car. Seems to be a lot less work to keep it shiny. Rinse with the hose or jetwash and dry with a microfibre towel. Looks like new every time.

From what I have read it's not a cheap process if having it done by a third party. I've seen it advertised from 15K to 40K Baht. Alternatively it seems possible to buy the nano coating liquid quite cheaply and do the work yourself ( that's probably what I would have done ) Search on ThaiVisa I seem to remember a good thread with lots of detail a few Months back.

I will definitely get a 3rd party to do, as the company i was talking with have a gantry application setup and i saw several "exotics" being treated whilst there.

46 minutes ago, Xaos said:

U dont do foil wraps.
U go get a glass coat it

They spray it and polish with SIO2
Quartz its H9 on hard scale
Diamond is H10

If u in pattaya I can give u man doing it for a good price.

Theres some that are ridiculously overpriced likr 50k

I did benz for 8k

Fortuner for 4k with my product

U can buy product for 50GBP and do it urself.

https://www.polishangel.co.uk/products/glasscoat-cosmic

http://cquartz.com

If u in pattaya I got contact

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

thanks for the offer, im Phuket based unfortunately

23 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Had the front of my Merc done two Months ago. Has a five year warranty on the 3M film but the business has closed already :laugh:

So try to find an established installer. That way when you need to go back for the inevitable adjustments/re-application they may still be in business. The product itself is worth having. It will prevent stone chips and is pretty much invisible. I've always installed it on motorbike fuel tanks (easy enough to do at home ) and the front of previous cars. 

And like everything  it takes a lot of guys to install it here too... :saai:

59983dc2997d7_FilmGang.jpg.318c3b3ca138fa3ca19f680fec9787d9.jpg

Why not coating the car ?  I didn't even know that plastic exist. Seems weird.

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Why not coating the car ?  I didn't even know that plastic exist. Seems weird.

The car has already been nano coated all over. The plastic film is only to protect the front end against stone chips, tar stains and other light impacts.

Edited by Pdaz

11 hours ago, Pdaz said:

The car has already been nano coated all over. The plastic film is only to protect the front end against stone chips, tar stains and other light impacts.

That's interesting as I read you need to remove the glass coating as the film won't adhere properly to that coating .... 

Edited by JAS21

2 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

That's interesting as I read you need to remove the glass coating as the film won't adhere properly to that coating .... 

Yes, I had wondered about that myself. Nano coated paint should be super smooth so how does the PPR adhere ? Dunno but three Months and it hasn't fallen off yet :) edges are all firmly in place and not peeling back. Can only wait and see.

9 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

This is what I was thinking also...

Seems ridiculous to add plastic on glass coating.

Glass coating won't protect paintwork from stonechips and hard impacts.. No matter what they tell you in the adverts. Glass coating makes the car easier to clean and protects the shine. They are two different products with two different purposes.

I'm concerned about loose road grit being thrown up by my front wheels essentially "sandblasting" the paint on my sills. And about stones and grit damaging the front spoiler and nose as I do a lot of motorway driving. Having paint retouched can effect the resale value of a car as prospective buyers often see new paintwork as a sign of accident damage. Not to mention it's annoying as <deleted> to see stonechipped paint on the bonnet around the lights.

Oh,  the lights have had paint protection film added too... Hate to think what replacing a damaged lens on a Merc LED would cost.

Edited by Pdaz

17 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

Do you know where to do it around Pattaya or Bangkok ?

To save you reading back as far as Post #8 which said..."Google Clear BRA ...apparently the original and the best. Several places here to get it done". Just be careful as someone on this Topic ... only a few posts back ... got theirs done and then the shop closed.  There is only one ClearBra and the inventor is upset about other products using variations on the his registered trade mark eg Clear Bra ...

The car we are planning to protect is a 2016 used BMW. The previous owner had some kind of coating added and they have a certificate with a 3 year warranty. Installed by The Passion 5. Product called Ceramic Guard. Coating with three year warranty for large car is 30,000 THB.

http://www.ceramiccoat-thailand.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=538974649

If this is a good product we may just do a partial wrap of the most vulnerable areas.