Thai wife using UK passport from LHR to BKK but willave to show Thai passport?

This  issue   here is different to a previous one as it involves  Thai wife  departing LHR and returning back to BKK as she now lives in Thailand. The dual passport holder will show her UK passport for Bangkok  flight to British Airways  check in. However presumably they will need to check her Thai passport to show she can stay there indefinitely as the UK one will not have visa for Thailand.  I am wondering if there is an issue with her surname in Thai passport being different is an issue. Obviously they can see photo is same. Surely these dual passport issues must be common place?  Thanks for any help. 

UK passport to depart and enter UK.

Thai passport to depart and enter Thailand.

Different names on different passports is irrelevant as long as you use the same passport to enter and depart the same Country.

They don't need to check her Thai passport in the UK as she could get a Visa exempt entry as a UK citizen.

No Visa required to enter Thailand.

Edited by Tanoshi

Appreciate reply Tanoshi, but departing LHR with UK passport ( no Thai  visa inside ) surely they need proof she can stay long term in Thailand. Remember returning to Thailand after UK visit so no UK return ticket. I would have thought they check you can stay Thailand indefinitely and therefore her Thai passport will need showing to check in staff. 

Why?

The airline aren't concerned with how long she will stay.

Thailand has a Visa exempt scheme for UK nationals, they don't need Visa's.

As long as she shows her Thai passport when entering Thailand she can stay indefinitely.

She is a Thai national returning to her own Country.

13 minutes ago, peter48 said:

Appreciate reply Tanoshi, but departing LHR with UK passport ( no Thai  visa inside ) surely they need proof she can stay long term in Thailand. Remember returning to Thailand after UK visit so no UK return ticket. I would have thought they check you can stay Thailand indefinitely and therefore her Thai passport will need showing to check in staff. 

Just show the Thai passport at LHR check-in.

End of.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Why?

As long as she shows her Thai passport when entering Thailand she can stay indefinitely.

But the agency jobsworth check-in clerk and the supervisor may not be so wordly as us TV veterans and worry unnecessarily that she may be sent back at airline expense. If they don't see her Thai passport, they may assume she is someone who no longer has one and only has the UK one.

Remember, NO entry to ANY country is guaranteed by either a visa OR an agreement such as visa-exempt entry if the IO is having a bad day. Yes, the passenger is obviously Thai and will have no issues on arrival (unless the IO gets all pissy about dual passport holders when he doesn't see any stamps in her Thai passport) but that aint the issue here as she won't be offering her UK passport at BKK. It's about hassle free check-in for a Thai national at LHR.

Edited by NanLaew

The absolute correct procedure for your wife should be;

When departing the UK show her Thai passport at check in to obtain a boarding pass.

At Immigration control present the UK passport for exit stamp.

Show Thai passport at Immigration control when entering Thailand.

Reverse;

When departing Thailand show the UK passport at check in to obtain a boarding pass.

At Immigration control use present the Thai passport for exit stamp.

Show the UK passport at Immigration control when entering the UK.

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But the agency jobsworth check-in clerk and the supervisor may not be so wordly as us TV veterans and worry unnecessarily that she may be sent back at airline expense. If they don't see her Thai passport, they may assume she is someone who no longer has one and only has the UK one.

Are you serious!

Mrs jobsworth check in clerk will be more worldly wise than TV members, which nationalities do or do not need Visas when allowing them to board to any particular Country.

Whether it be you, I or Mrs Peter48 showing a UK passport they will allow boarding because Thailand offers a 30 day Visa exempt entry for UK nationals.

In the case of refusal of entry it would not be the airlines fault. Denial of entry would be for a different reason.

35 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Why?

Airlines are concerned with how long she will stay. UK passport holders entering visa exempt are required to have an onward or return ticket with departure within 30 days. So at checkin she may have to present her Thai passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Airlines are concerned with how long she will stay. UK passport holders entering visa exempt are required to have an onward or return ticket with departure within 30 days. So at checkin she may have to present her Thai passport.

If you read what I said in post 7.

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

When departing the UK show her Thai passport at check in to obtain a boarding pass.

51 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Without a visa for Thailand a UK National departing from Heaathrow may very well be asked for an onward or return ticket, if dosnt have one could be refused boarding. BA always ask to see my extension stamp. The OP states the Thai passport is in a different surname....this is his concern. If the surname is because of marriage maybe take marriage cert as proof.

Why?

If she is travelling on her UK passport and staying longer than 30 days then she will need to show either her valid Thai passport or a Thai visa in her UK passport.

My son's Thai passport expires while we were living in the UK so I got him a 60 day visit visa for our summer holiday to Thailand in his UK passport which he used to enter Thailand.

Thai air check in at LHR asked to see his and my Thai visas before issuing our boarding passes.

17 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Without a visa for Thailand a UK National departing from Heaathrow may very well be asked for an onward or return ticket, if dosnt have one could be refused boarding. BA always ask to see my extension stamp. The OP states the Thai passport is in a different surname....this is his concern. If the surname is because of marriage maybe take marriage cert as proof.

But she has dual nationality.

Which is why, and I'll repeat;

She doesn't need any onward ticket, or return ticket when departing to return to her own Country as a Thai citizen.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

But she has dual nationality.

Which is why, and I'll repeat;

She doesn't need any onward ticket, or return ticket when departing to return to her own Country as a Thai citizen.

Read the OPs concern....her Thai passport is in a different name to her flight ticket/UK passport...we all know she can show her Thai passport, that isnt the issue...it is in a different name

4 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Read the OPs concern....her Thai passport is in a different name to her flight ticket/UK passport...we all know she can show her Thai passport, that isnt the issue...it is in a different name

The OP didn't state what name the flight ticket was booked in.

He stated the names in the passports are different.

It's irrelevant as I stated before.

Assuming the flight was booked in the same name as her UK passport. She uses that to check in and shows her Thai passport as proof she has a right to enter and remain indefinitely in Thailand because she is also a Thai citizen. Whichever name or passport(s) she needs to show isn't a problem exiting the UK for Thailand.

It's important that she uses only her Thai passport to enter Thailand though.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes, and I also read other things you posted here.

Your posts are partly correct, partly incorrect, and therefor confusing.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Yes, and I also read other things you posted here.

Your posts are partly correct, partly incorrect, and therefor confusing.

I tried to answer the OP, then other individual posts that were irrelevant to the OP's situation.

The correct method is to use the Thai passport when checking in, the airline then know they can allow her to board without any Immigration issues when she reaches her destination.

If on the other hand the OP made the reservation using her different name as in her UK passport, then she uses the UK passport as proof of her ID, and her Thai passport as proof of her Immigration status in Thailand.

It isn't rocket science to figure it out and I don't know why it confuses so many people or the OP is concerned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Why?

of course they are concerned with  how long you are staying, if no flight out of Thailand within 30 days they may deny boarding.

my wife has the same thing with her Thai and UK Passports, no problem with name change but have a copy of marriage cert. handy

• Like 1

At check in, you should use both passports. I assume the UK passport was used to enter the UK. As such, the name on the UK passport needs to be on the boarding pass (they will usually check when boarding the aircraft, and may at immigration). Have a copy of your marriage license just in case they want to see it as proof that the UK passport and Thai passport are for the same person.

On entry into Thailand, simply use the Thai passport.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I tried to answer the OP, then other individual posts that were irrelevant to the OP's situation.

The correct method is to use the Thai passport when checking in, the airline then know they can allow her to board without any Immigration issues when she reaches her destination.

If on the other hand the OP made the reservation using her different name as in her UK passport, then she uses the UK passport as proof of her ID, and her Thai passport as proof of her Immigration status in Thailand.

It isn't rocket science to figure it out and I don't know why it confuses so many people or the OP is concerned.

Which was exactly what I was suggesting hours ago when I left it to you and your repeated "absolute correct" procedure that remarkably you have now modified to fit the realities of the OP's traveling Thai partner.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Which was exactly what I was suggesting hours ago when I left it to you and your repeated "absolute correct" procedure that remarkably you have now modified to fit the realities of the OP's traveling Thai partner.

What are the realities.

Where has the OP stated which name was used to book flights.

Only the OP has modified the normal procedure if he used the name in her UK passport to book the flight.

Show Thai passport at Immigration control when entering Thailand.

Partly right, so not the absolute correct procedure.
There are no Immigration Controls when leaving the UK so there is no exit stamp. The embarkation records are collated by the carrier and passed onto the UKBA to record any passenger that may have overstayed. So if only the Thai passport is shown at check-in they may assume that the passenger wasn't in the UK legally.
So whilst you're right that the Thai passport will need to be shown when checking in, to safeguard the carrier against penalties when entering Thailand, she will also need to show her UK passport.
As to the names in the passports being different, the carrier may well look for clarification that they are the same, her name change certificate would certainly help..
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

So whilst you're right that the Thai passport will need to be shown when checking in, to safeguard the carrier against penalties when entering Thailand, she will also need to show her UK passport.

As to the names in the passports being different, the carrier may well look for clarification that they are the same, her name change certificate would certainly help..

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's all hypothetical to be precise, because the OP only stated names on passports were different.

We have no idea which name he used for booking.

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's all hypothetical to be precise, because the OP only stated names on passports were different.

We have no idea which name he used for booking.

You forgot to comment on the first bit of theoldgits post Tanoshi, the part where he questioned your "The absolute correct procedure for your wife should be" claim, which seems to be wrong.

Did you miss that?