Where to transfer a visa stamp from an old passport to a new one in BKK?

I just received a new passport from my embassy in Bangkok.  I need to transfer my visa/stamp info (Non-O, based on family)  from my old passport to the fresh one I was just issued.

I know I can do this at the Chaengwattana immigration complex, but is there any other place in bkk to do this in order to avoid heading all the way out to that area?

thanks

I could be wrong but I seem to recall years ago a similar situation and they won't transfer the old visa to the new passport at least not without jumping through numerous hoops. You can just present both when you need to show.  Although the old passport may be expired or cancelled, the visa in them are not as long as visa is still valid. Your embassy should have given you a letter that says something to this effect.  Again, going on memory but am sure somebody here will give definitive answer.

1 minute ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

Although the old passport may be expired or cancelled, the visa in them are not as long as visa is still valid. Your embassy should have given you a letter that says something to this effect.

Yup, got the letter that basically tells me to go transfer the stamps at Chaengwattana.  I've done it there before a few years ago when my last passport was replaced.  I remember it actually being a pretty smooth process.  Seemed pretty routine to them.  Just wondering if there's another closer location in BKK to get it done.  I thought possibly immigration at Chamchuri Square, but I think they might only deal with people holding work permits.

Got it -- maybe things have changed or my memory has faded. Seemed to remember my letter seeming to say to transfer but then when they didn't do it noticed the wording was more to the effect of saying to accept stamps in old passport.

I also seem to recall there being a difference if it is a visa or extension/stamp that needs to be transferred which I believe they would have done.

As per your actual question ... sorry can't help there either as I know of no other office though years ago they had a second they were using for these purposes but think that was only when the new one was closed down due to protests or some other crisis/incident going on.

• Like 1

I did it at Chaeng Wattana about a year and a half ago, easy enough to do, but you have to queue at the "L" section, the same section where they do visa extensions. If your extension is due, you can do both the transfer and extension at the same time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Another case where the distinction between a visa and an extension of stay makes a difference.

People have all but given up on taking 30 seconds to learn the distinction between the two and now seem to be favoring the phrase "visa/stamp info" instead.  It makes a difference yet the resistance grows instead of shrinks.  Document photos should be mandatory when asking visa/extension/re-entry/exemption questions.   Keep up the good advice.

Back in the days when you could get a passport from HK via BKK, I got mine in the post and crossed the border to Vientiane and went into the small office to the side of the queues and a guy there transferred the stamp.  Gave me some scissors to cut the corner of the old passport, then carried on through as normal.

Need to do it again soon, as very few pages left and need to get up to speed on how to get a new passport remotely or if I have to travel to BKK which would be a pain in the expletive (foot injury making travel difficult). - not wishing to hijack your post, it's just background detail.

30 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Need to do it again soon, as very few pages left and need to get up to speed on how to get a new passport remotely or if I have to travel to BKK which would be a pain in the expletive (foot injury making travel difficult). - not wishing to hijack your post, it's just background detail.

Go through the steps here to find out where you have to go to in Bangkok. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

On 2017. 08. 21. at 10:00 AM, Suradit69 said:

A visa, issued by a Thai embassy or consulate, won't be transferred to the new passport. If someone is in fact still using a multi-entry visa or in the country on a permission to stay from a visa entry , then he presents both the old and new passport whenever dealing with immigrations.

May I ask what happens in case of a 30-day visa exemption stamp? My husband will pick up his new passport at his embassy in Bangkok while staying on a 30-day visa (visa exemption stamp) in Thailand. Does he need to go to Chaengwattana for this stamp to be transferred to his new passport before leaving Thailand, or is it enough if he shows his old passport at the immigration desk at the airport? It's a little bit confusing and we would like to do it the right way. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, heliotrope said:

Does he need to go to Chaengwattana for this stamp to be transferred to his new passport before leaving Thailand, or is it enough if he shows his old passport at the immigration desk at the airport?

He will do it at the airport on departure from the country. The officer will transfer his entry stamp from the old passport to the new one and stamp him out of the country in it.

If he went to Chaeng Wattana they would tell him to do it at the airport.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He will do it at the airport on departure from the country. The officer will transfer his entry stamp from the old passport to the new one and stamp him out of the country in it.

Correct. Just want to add that ONLY in case of 30-day extension of stay, the passport holder needs to contact Immigration Office which had issued the extension to transfer it into new passport (done it last month myself)

Edited by Matt199

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you very much for your answer.