Tesco Express

ex Toon Army

Following a few late nights I have called into the local Tesco Express outlet at a local petrol station, to grab a few bits 'n' pieces for the following day. I have been less than impressed with the quality of the meat products. They appear to have lost that fresh-look that their equivalent in the main Tesco supermarket have. Neither do they seem to have the same shelf life despite what the label states. I had to throw a batch of chicken wings away last night after purchasing them 2 days ago.

Is it possible these minimarts are being used as a dumping ground by the main supermarkets for products nearing their 'best sell by' date in an effort to boost profits and thereby justifying their existence and subsequently strengthening their case for further expansion? Is the irony such that these Tesco Express marts are using the local shoppers to boost sales and therefore eventually giving the kiss of death to the smaller businesses.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Edited by ex Toon Army

Is it possible these minimarts are being used as a dumping ground by the main supermarkets for products nearing their 'best sell by' date in an effort to boost profits and thereby justifying their existence and subsequently strengthening their case for further expansion? Is the irony such that these Tesco Express marts are using the local shoppers to boost sales and therefore eventually giving the kiss of death to the smaller businesses.

I was referring to that... :o

My local Tesco Express, where Suthep Road meets the big klong road, has a whole section of 'almost expired' food at discount. I hadn't noticed the other items being that bad, but now I'll check.

It's always 'buyer beware,' but if they keep the nearly-expired items in a separate cooler, that's better than stashing it in the main cooler. Unradiated fresh milk has a very short life, but UHT lasts longer than some royal reigns.

I wouldn't buy fresh produce at Tesco Express stores, but they sure beat the (*#$&&@ out of 7-elevens. (Microwave meals excepted, which rock at 7-eleven. :o

i have to agree with you there, 7 eleven used to do a lovely green curry with spaghetti . nice bit of late night fusion food after a skinfull of beer and jack d .