New requirement for Police report in Thailand for teachers?

Hi everyone. I have been told by my current school that there is a new law requiring all foreign teachers, living in Thailand, they must have a police report from the Thai police, not your home country, every year now to get their Type B Visa! Has anyone else heard this from their school? We are being forced to go do it, or they say we can't get a Visa! What's up with this?

8 minutes ago, tonray said:

This is not new. If you are new to Thailand  police check from home country used. But if you live here longer than that local police report needed. It's no big deal, go to your local police station.

...but EVERY YEAR would certainly be new. Normally it is just done once (I've been here so long and have not changed, schools, so I have not had to do it). I've heard nothing official about this. 

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

He said to get  Type B Visa...if he is applying for a new Visa then he needs it. If just an extension for same school, likely not. He is not very clear on why he is getting new Visa for same school

Or he really means 'extension of stay'. Maybe the OP can clarify.

Sorry, I forgot how specific many of you need this to be. I have been here at the same school for 8 years and this is a new requirement at "my school".  I did my report a few years ago and now they are saying ALL teachers in Thailand must do yearly Police reports to renew their "B" Visa. Could be something to do with the recent 'crackdown'. Don't know, don't care! My question is "Do any of the Visa Extension teachers here have to get a new police check every year at their school?'

10 hours ago, teetersb said:

Sorry, I forgot how specific many of you need this to be. I have been here at the same school for 8 years and this is a new requirement at "my school".  I did my report a few years ago and now they are saying ALL teachers in Thailand must do yearly Police reports to renew their "B" Visa. Could be something to do with the recent 'crackdown'. Don't know, don't care! My question is "Do any of the Visa Extension teachers here have to get a new police check every year at their school?'

You cannot renew a non-b visa you can only get a new one at an embassy or consulate. 

There is no requirement to get a new police report to apply for a new one year extension of stay based on teaching at an  immigration office.

Perhaps that is something the school wants now not immigration.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot renew a non-b visa you can only get a new one at an embassy or consulate. 

There is no requirement to get a new police report to apply for a new one year extension of stay based on teaching at an  immigration office.

Perhaps that is something the school wants now not immigration.

Every immigration chief is king in his particular office. They don't all have the same requirements for visa extensions.

This is LOS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Sri Racha Immigration again! Extension!

The have been reported as being a problematic office so anything is possible there. Certainly not a nationwide requirement.

6 minutes ago, teetersb said:

What about renewing(extending) a Work Permit? Do you need a new police report every year?

Certainly not required according to the regulations.