Go-ahead for Nakon Ratchasima rail elevation project

webfact

Go-ahead for Nakon Ratchasima rail elevation project

By The Nation

6a2a96f09d3ca9e04aec190e371491ac.jpg

File photo

KORAT: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s mobile Cabinet meeting in Nakon Ratchasima yesterday approved a Bt2.6 billion plan to elevate an inner-city section of the Map Krabao-Jira double track rail project to avoid inconvenience to city residents and commuters.

The project is one of several double track schemes being implemented by the State Railway of Thailand to improve rail transport between Bangkok and major provincial cities, especially those in the Northeast.

A public hearing will be held within the next six months for the approved elevated section, which will start from Phukao Lad to Mitraparb Bridge and Korat railway station. Construction of the project is expected to be complete within 18 months.

148547b0354f4022c253cd9516aa6326.jpg

The Prayut government has also been pushing ahead the separate Thai-Chinese high-speed railway project that will link Bangkok with the Northeastern province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30324593

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-23

I like this OP, it makes it clear that this is unrelated to the China-Thailand project, merely part of the ongoing SRT track-doubling.

" The project is one of several double track schemes being implemented by the State Railway of Thailand to improve rail transport between Bangkok and major provincial cities, especially those in the Northeast. "

Of course given developments with the Chinese line, whether it still makes sense to also continue to double-track the metre-gauge further up to Isaan is perhaps debatable, but the contracts for this particular bit were already awarded.

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I like this OP, it makes it clear that this is unrelated to the China-Thailand project, merely part of the ongoing SRT track-doubling.

" The project is one of several double track schemes being implemented by the State Railway of Thailand to improve rail transport between Bangkok and major provincial cities, especially those in the Northeast. "

Of course given developments with the Chinese line, whether it still makes sense to also continue to double-track the metre-gauge further up to Isaan is perhaps debatable, but the contracts for this particular bit were already awarded.

Yes, I think it does make sense. Mixing urban traffic with a high speed service is not a very good idea. We saw the consequences of that in the Santiago de Compostela accident, Spain in 2013. That happened where an HST line joined an urban line.

Also the speed differentials make mixing urban services with HST operations very difficult and potentially dangerous.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I think it does make sense. Mixing urban traffic with a high speed service is not a very good idea. We saw the consequences of that in the Santiago de Compostela accident, Spain in 2013. That happened where an HST line joined an urban line.

Also the speed differentials make mixing urban services with HST operations very difficult and potentially dangerous.

I'd suggest that there might also be other technical-problems, running meter-gauge rolling-stock on a standard-gauge track, or vice-versa ! :biggrin:

And the proposal for the new line currently appears to be mixing domestic-passenger traffic with slower freight, and possibly now international-passenger traffic too.

Clearly the SRT's track-doubling must continue in this particular case  ...  there is a signed-contract & construction is underway.

Clearly the track-doubling should continue on the SRT's other routes too, there will probably eventually be container-traffic to/from China, being transferred to/from meter-gauge in Bangkok for routing to/from other parts of Thailand, and also going South on the line to Padang Besar & Malaysia/Singapore.

But decisions justifying any further meter-gauge work beyond Khorat would be affected by the new medium-speed line, because the commercial-justification would be impacted, by the operations once-they-start of the new route.

All purely personal opinion, of course.

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The other thread on this subject says the Viaduct is 4k long this thread says it will take 18 months to build. Roughly 225m a month or about 8 metres a day.  GO THAILAND !!!!!!!!

Ha.  Years ago on my first trip to Thailand, my GF was driving me around the countryside outside of Pattaya.  We came upon a little delay as there was some road construction.  As we approached the work area, there was the smallest little Tonka Toy sized cement truck.  If they were pouring 5 meters of road a day I would be surprised.  Driving ahead I could see very little large scale road clearing or grading being done.  They were literally making the road in pieces in one of the most inefficient ways possible. 

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I'd suggest that there might also be other technical-problems, running meter-gauge rolling-stock on a standard-gauge track, or vice-versa ! :biggrin:

Yes, a very good point!   :smile:

18 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Nothing like the Blatantly obvious, nice one

19 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The other thread on this subject says the Viaduct is 4k long this thread says it will take 18 months to build. Roughly 225m a month or about 8 metres a day.  GO THAILAND !!!!!!!!

Hahaha yea they are nothing if not optimistic .. And Chair P' wasn't hanging about forcing this one through with his mobile cabinet .. The line about avoiding inconvenience for residents and commuters was a nice touch though i'll wager while the thing is being put up they'll be thinking differently .. By a viaduct do you mean something similar to the photo .? Sort of built upon pillars to make best use of the ground space below but in pretty much a straight line no matter what is in the way of where the pillars are positioned .. Would that be correct .? The ave weight of an 8 car commuter train is in the region of 400 tons .. That can only mean some massive engineering for even just commuter size trains let alone express or goods trains which I imagine weigh a lot more .. Jeez do they know what they are getting into with all these railway projects they keep crowing about ..  :shock1:

_20170823_183705.JPG

Edited by Justgrazing
Spelling