Stickman Bangkok packs it in after two decades

webfact

59 minutes ago, amvet said:

I was here 40 years ago.  No Pattaya. 

I was in Pattaya 40 years ago, was a nice place then, clean waters - The Jewel of Asia, indeed, plenty of bars and girls, TQ1 first opened its doors for business in 1978.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, amvet said:

I was referring to the total content of his site of which his weekly column was but a small part.

Yes, I never really looked at the huge sprawling site. Nonetheless this story mostly refers to the weekly column which has now stopped. The archives are all still there if anyone wants to see them. 

2 hours ago, CGW said:

I was in Pattaya 40 years ago, was a nice place then, clean waters - The Jewel of Asia, indeed, plenty of bars and girls, TQ1 first opened its doors for business in 1978.

No Pattaya 40 years ago?  Hogwash!

Thanks for replying to that nonsense.

It had a lot going for it in those days before it became Sleaze by the Sea.

After the fun you could get a good meal at John's Diner. 

Unforgettable place and time.

8 hours ago, MisterTee said:

No Pattaya 40 years ago?  Hogwash!

Thanks for replying to that nonsense.

It had a lot going for it in those days before it became Sleaze by the Sea.

After the fun you could get a good meal at John's Diner. 

Unforgettable place and time.

Sorry, time goes by faster when you are an old codger.  I should have said Pattaya was not the type of place 40 years ago and 50 years ago when I was there as it it is today.  There was a couple of thousand hotel rooms in the 70's. Nothing like the mega resort it is today.  " By the end of 1975 there were 2,600 hotel rooms in Pattaya but this coincided with the mass US military withdrawal in 1976 which sadly saw tourist numbers drop by 50% almost overnight. " https://lovepattayathailand.com/pattaya-history/

On 8/23/2017 at 1:55 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

The times they are a changin'.

We the lucky few that were here in our 20's through the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

Stick, whom I have met several times for a wee drinkie, knows like the rest of us long-term expats, that the gig is up in Thailand. 

The gig is up for the low value foreigner, yes. Sexpats are finding that the  flesh for exploitation costs much more now, more than their limited incomes  will allow.

There is always lawless Cambodia, where foreigners live on the edge, and of course much of Africa  and Central America.

Stickman played to a shrinking demographic. Young people today  are more sophisticated and more responsible than the sex pests of the 80's and 90's. If his readership was that large and that high end, it would have generated the  ad revenue to pay him, but it did not.

30 years ago I had three Thai lovelies bringing me stinky fish with rancid beer while I listened to terrible music with no AC.  Today I had three Thai lovelies bringing excellent brie on fresh baked bread with chilled freshly brewed wheat beer listening to my custom made music profile on an awesome new entertainment system in air conditioned comfort in my living room with a pool.  Are you nuts?

What you describe so well is how Thailand has changed from something very unique and special to something that could be almost anywhere.
The old Thailand was more adventurous but then we're all thirty years older and maybe we're happier to have a nice piece of brie than a night on the tiles.

15 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yet there are still millions on millions of prostitutes throughout Thailand even in devout Muslim areas in the South I can get a rub and tug quicker than ordering a pizza or KFC.

The licentious nature of the locals will never change.

How many condoms do you take grocery shopping?  I used to take a box now I'm down to three.  Lovely Thailand. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, amvet said:

Sorry, time goes by faster when you are an old codger.  I should have said Pattaya was not the type of place 40 years ago and 50 years ago when I was there as it it is today.  There was a couple of thousand hotel rooms in the 70's. Nothing like the mega resort it is today.  " By the end of 1975 there were 2,600 hotel rooms in Pattaya but this coincided with the mass US military withdrawal in 1976 which sadly saw tourist numbers drop by 50% almost overnight. " https://lovepattayathailand.com/pattaya-history/

You read these things and wonder, who do they get to write them up? Pattaya’s growth was indeed fueled by R&R ing troops in the Vietnamese theater. The US got out in 1973.  Saigon falls in 75, but this article says US number dropped overnight in 76.

In 1976 The US closed out its  Thai air bases, (UTapao)  long after the Pattaya R&R ing US servicemen numbers had dropped.  

Edited by LomSak27

12 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

You read these things and wonder, who do they get to write them up? Pattaya’s growth was indeed fueled by R&R ing troops in the Vietnamese theater. The US got out in 1973.  Saigon falls in 75, but this article says US number dropped overnight in 76.

In 1976 The US closed out its  Thai air bases, (UTapao)  long after the Pattaya R&R ing US servicemen numbers had dropped.  

I believe R&R stopped in 1972.  Maybe someone knows.  Wasn't Bangkok the American R&R site and not Pattaya?  https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2012/11/rr-thailand-in-the-1960s/

31 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Most human beings would simply find this appalling crime sickening , seems you and a few others see it as a nice opportunity to parade your foul bigotry , get a grip !

42 minutes ago, chippendale said:

Your what?!? :clap2::cheesy:

On 8/23/2017 at 2:25 PM, Artisi said:

That would be ok, as most of Thailand hasn't advanced to that level as yet. 

On 8/23/2017 at 2:26 PM, lamyai3 said:

Still alive, his weekly book reviews are in the same paper that published his Nite Owl columns. 

Trink and others were entertaining. But now we are near Thailand 4.00 and everything is changing.