Tourist police network targets Suvarnabhumi airport thieves 

webfact

Tourist police network targets airport thieves 

By Kittipong Maneerit 
The Nation

79fe82376cbbf9785e7a243e9ec1b81a.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourist Police Division has launched a group chat network to issue alerts about crimes targeting passengers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, division chief Pol Maj-General Prasert Ngernyuang told the press conference on Wednesday.

The “Ta Sapparot” (“having ‘eyes’ in all angles like a pineapple”) network comprises police, tourism and airport officials, and taxi drivers. Prasert said that incidents of crime or suspicious activity reported over the network’s Line chat group would be investigated in a timely manner.

He said criminals were applying new tricks to take advantage of tourists, such as disguising themselves as travellers to steal other passengers’ valuables on-board planes, or stealing expensive-looking luggage from the baggage carousel. There were also criminals targeting group tours and people who were about to board flights back to their home countries and therefore had no time to file a police complaint.

These thefts took place at railway stations on the way to the airport, in the terminal, or at last-stop attractions popular with tourists. 

Prasert said police tried to gather evidence to make arrests for all such cases and had so far succeeded in many cases and contacted the damaged tourists accordingly.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324672

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-23

Airport Thieves Stealing Luggage Off Planes; Carousels, Police Warns

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

Image-uploaded-from-iOS-696x522.jpg

Maj. Gen. Prasert Nguenyuang Wednesday morning speaks about criminals who steal luggage from airports, airplanes and tourist attractions.

BANGKOK — Tourist police held a public press conference Wednesday near Suvarnabhumi Airport to warn the public about the dangers and methods used by thieves who steal luggage off of luggage carousels and aircrafts.

Police said the past year has seen almost 300 cases of criminals who fly into Thai airports pretending to be tourists and stealing expensive-looking luggage from airport carousels and airplanes as well as from the Airport Rail Link.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/08/23/airport-thieves-stealing-luggage-off-planes-carousels-police-warns/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-8-23

15 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I have a GPS tracker in my offshore bag so good luck when I turn up at your apartment at 2am in the morning for retrieval.

P.S. I will be armed and accompanied by 'mates'.

Good one F.F.S! and a good idea too. Have to put the tracker in a well hidden location within the bag I guess(?)

Edited by scotchonrocks
Punctuation

15 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I have a GPS tracker in my offshore bag so good luck when I turn up at your apartment at 2am in the morning for retrieval.

excellent idea, where to get such smart gadget ? Lazada ? How long will the Batteries last ?

(one can put it in a corner behind the lining. unlikely to be spotted)

Edited by KKr

They don't have to look too far. Just go to the odd international boarding gate where they sometimes wait like vultures to confiscate goods purchased legitimately at the rip-off King Power shops.

28 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

They don't have to look too far. Just go to the odd international boarding gate where they sometimes wait like vultures to confiscate goods purchased legitimately at the rip-off King Power shops.

selective cheap shot from the peanut gallery.

1 minute ago, hobobo said:

selective cheap shot from the peanut gallery.

So you have turned your hand to plagiarism to make a point. No cigar for being unoriginal I am afraid. Try harder next time.

16 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

If anybody was stupid enough to take my offshore bag, they would be awfully, awfully disappointed, nothing worth liberating from offshore these days!

P.S. Glad you have arms!

17 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

James Bond is alive and well!

46 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

It's difficult to catch thieves here because most Thais won't report other Thais even if they see them stealing. Co-workers and bystanders here are reluctant to say anything even if the thieves are caught red handed.

Thai Rak Thai...

They're probably scared to report them for because they may get sued, and criminally prosecuted for defamation 555 !

The only ones with access to the baggage carousels are disembarking passengers and airport staff. Surely thieves would not go to the trouble and expense of booking and paying for a flight with the gamble of stealing a bag undetected and which may then only contain  2nd hand contents having little resale value.

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

The only ones with access to the baggage carousels are disembarking passengers and airport staff. Surely thieves would not go to the trouble and expense of booking and paying for a flight with the gamble of stealing a bag undetected and which may then only contain  2nd hand contents having little resale value.

You obviously are not possessed of the criminal mind that tends to think 'outside the box'.  :smile:

Yes sounds fishy. I don't get stuck in long Immigration lines so when I check a bag to BKK I'm the first one who sees it come up the belt.

I did read a story a few years ago about how thieves buy cheap domestic tickets in the USA to steal laptops and other valuable from the overhead locker while the victims are right there but not looking.

28 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

'Outside the box' yes, but is the return worth the risk, cost and effort?

Obviously yes, otherwise why do it? I'm sure these carousel bandits don't just grab a bag at random. They will have profiled their victim and maybe even got some insider information from baggage staff who are on the x-ray machines.

Mind you they are welcome to my baggage. I don't have to 'try' and look like a pauper.   :smile:

18 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

They're probably scared to report them for because they may get sued, and criminally prosecuted for defamation 555 !

And beat up by the people they report, as no action will be taken on them promptly.

I don't know if they still do it, but often in the US you had to show your baggage receipt which security staff at the exit checked against the one on your suitcase. Seemed pretty simple and foolproof to me. If Makro. Big C etc can go through the pantomime of checking your goods as you exit, I'm sure they could do it at airports as you enter customs or exit the domestic baggage area.

Edited by Bangkok Barry