Stay on ED visa for one year, no extentions?

I was offered a one year stay on an education visa by a school. 15 months in fact. First 3 months Ed visa and then one, 12 months extension of stay.

Does this kind of visa exist? I've never used an Ed visa before but I've heard it has to be extended every 3 months or sth like that. 

They do need to be extended every 90 days (at your local Immigration Office)

As far as I am aware you can get a total of 1 year for each "visa" then you have to leave the country to apply for your next year if you plan to carry on

Someone with more knowledge will be able to confirm

• Thanks 1

You will not likely get a 12 month extension of stay. Depending on the type of school you may either get extension for full term (primary/secondary/Uni) or 3 months at a time for private language/self defense/etc schools. If language school (Thai example) expect to be tested and also have full attendance records from school (sign in sheet) to prove you actually attended class. In 'some' cases school may request an additional 4500-5000 baht for extension 'administrative assistance'...to produce said sign ins, accompany you to Immigration and speak 'privately' to IO behind the curtain.