irish jack

You need to go to the US Embassy or Consulate (Chiangmai) and get an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry.  If you have been married previously, you'll need proof of the divorce.  Then off to the local Amphur to get married.  (Years ago it took all of 10 minutes when my wife and I went in Bangkok.)  You'll get a pretty certificate and can then get it translated as needed.  

I think that was all I did.   I was never married before, so it was quite easy.

3 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Then off to the local Amphur to get married.  (Years ago it took all of 10 minutes when my wife and I went in Bangkok.)

I think you missed the important step of getting the affidavit translated to Thai and then having it certified by the department of consular affairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you missed the important step of getting the affidavit translated to Thai and then having it certified by the department of consular affairs.

Perhaps.  It was 7 years ago, honestly couldn't remember other than had to get this silly piece of paper saying I was never married.  

4 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

You need to go to the US Embassy or Consulate (Chiangmai) and get an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry.  If you have been married previously, you'll need proof of the divorce.  Then off to the local Amphur to get married.  (Years ago it took all of 10 minutes when my wife and I went in Bangkok.)  You'll get a pretty certificate and can then get it translated as needed.  

I think that was all I did.   I was never married before, so it was quite easy.

It used to be easy.

@irish jackWhile you are at the Consulate, you might also need to get a certified copy of your passport (saving a 2nd trip) - but first, check with the Amphur you will use to get married, and get their list of requirements.  Some require this (more and more, now), and others do not.

Each Amphur makes up its own rules, and the rules change over time - so Do Not go by what you read here or there - or think that what worked for someone even just 1-year ago will work again now.  I recently went through this process, and would have saved myself a lot of trouble and expense if I knew then what I know now - and Had Not believed the "how to" accounts I found online were still relevant/complete.

First step - go to the Amphur and get their list of requirements.  If they are not friendly, try another one.  My now-wife and I went to several to finally find a farang-friendly Amphur-director.  Also, keep a copy of every document you submit.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If they are not friendly, try another one.  My now-wife and I went to several to finally find a farang-friendly Amphur-director.

my amphoe extorted 26000 baht from me; the pretext was 'then everything will go smoothly and there will be no problems'; that was nearly 20 years ago when i was starry eyed;

good advice bout shopping amphoes; don't be aggressive but also don't be afraid to just smile and walk out

As stated US embasy affarmation to marry you will need divorce papersvor death certificate. And yes usefull whilst there fto get copy of passport notorized by them. 

Then get said affirmation and passport copy translated and taken to MFA also in bangkok.

Personaly after the trip to Embassy i just went home found an agent (theres lots of them everywhere. Gave him my affarmation and notarized copy of passport. They then translated them sent them to Bangkok and then called me when they returned to them 5 working days if memory serves. 2.5k well worth it as far as i was concerned.

Go to Amphoe with two witnesses sit and wait for your number to be called. 10 mins sat in front of registration lady all done pay money cant remember how much but not much and get recipt. You are given a flowery marriage certificate each a kor ror 2 and other bits and pieces. I was then asked if i wanted it all translated into english and notorized by MFA. 2k again i said yes took a week.this was at Chonburi Amphoe down by Naklua fish market area. Passport translation not needed then no idea if its changed now. 

Good thing about having it done whilst in BKK is for future use. 

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

As stated US embasy affarmation to marry you will need divorce papersvor death certificate.

Those are not required at the US embassy. Read the webpage I posted a link to earlier. It is done as an affidavit and no proof is required.

42 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Passport translation not needed then no idea if its changed now. 

You don't need you Passport translated there (Chonburi Amphoe down by Naklua fish market), but you do need a copy certified by your embassy, and then given to the MFA for them to certify that your embassy's certification is valid.

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Those are not required at the US embassy. Read the webpage I posted a link to earlier. It is done as an affidavit and no proof is required.

Some Amphoes will not accept an Affirmation from the US Embassy/Consulate now - they say because the Embassy won't guarantee it is true.  My now-wife and I were denied marriage due to that particular amphoe-specific rule at 1 or 2 places (can't remember the excuses all of them gave now - one amphoe after the other).  No Americans can marry at those amphoes - ever.  Some other Farang countries were also excluded, as well as even more extra-rules for those from India and some select other countries.

They didn't even offer to let us pay 'special money' - just did not want to see an American marry a Thai - period, end of story.  I learned a lot about the mindset of cliques who run Airport immigration, from that experience.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

i believe that to be case also; i was divorced in USA long ago, married here via the help of the embassy in chiang mai**; dont recall any 'proof' and doubtful i could ever have gotten any ( at least not without a LOT of time and expense)

** no they dont do marriages directly; note tho: they helped arrange the english translation (need an official translator)  of the marriage certificate that can then be used to legitimize the marriage in the USA

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I was giving the op a run down of my experience thank you. Why do you get so wound up joe just chill out. 

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I recently went through this process, and would have saved myself a lot of trouble and expense if I knew then what I know now - and Had Not believed the "how to" accounts I found online were still relevant/complete.

First step - go to the Amphur and get their list of requirements.  If they are not friendly, try another one.  My now-wife and I went to several to finally find a farang-friendly Amphur-director.  Also, keep a copy of every document you submit.

Words to live by!