What Would Jailing Yingluck Mean For Thai Politics?

webfact

What Would Jailing Yingluck Mean For Thai Politics?

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

S_5161068669051-768x512.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra selling rice in November, 2016 in the Northeast. Photo: Facebook / Courtesy

BANGKOK — What does it means if the two-year trial of former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra ends Friday with a guilty verdict for her alleged dereliction of duty in overseeing a controversial rice-pledging program? What if she is locked up?

Would the unprecedented jailing of a prime minister for a program enacted by the government they led prove be a turning point in Thai politics? We ask a politico, scholars and activists to weigh in.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/08/24/jailing-yingluck-mean-thai-politics/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-08-24

Who cares ? I always thought military ran countries did not have politics only leaders  I may be wrong here but that is this simple layman's opinion. 

My question in response would be. 

What influence does politics have in Thailand if any.

It will only provide further evidence to the international community that Thais are are in the death throes of a failed state  and anyone with a gun and no brain can steal from the poor Thai peasants with impunity

Edited by gummy

They will probably find her guilty.  That decision was reached before the trial even began.  The real question is: will they dare imprison her, or will they give her a suspended sentence, and political ban for 5 years or so? 

Personally, I feel that if they imprisoned her, they would be biting off more than they can chew.  The north & northeast would pretty much revolt, and there would definitely be violence. Especially when the coup lead army steps in and starts killing people.  

Guilty, but with suspended sentence is the only sensible way out. 

27 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

They will probably find her guilty.  That decision was reached before the trial even began.  The real question is: will they dare imprison her, or will they give her a suspended sentence, and political ban for 5 years or so? 

Personally, I feel that if they imprisoned her, they would be biting off more than they can chew.  The north & northeast would pretty much revolt, and there would definitely be violence. Especially when the coup lead army steps in and starts killing people.  

yes I do because they value their own lives.

A few famous female political leaders who have done jail time yet emerged to be strong leaders. Indira Ghandi and Aung San Suu Kyi.

Not suggesting the same will happen to Yingluck if she is imprisoned but history shows there are always possibilities for the unexpected; particularly if she is seen to be persecuted for political reasons.

In my opinion, they cannot afford to jail her, as much as they want her to go to jail.

1) There would be unrest for the supporters and a likely revolt

2) The Junta will lose face as it will push Thailand back into the dark ages as the international community has been monitoring this and has put Thailand on the back burner since the coup in 2014

I hope she gets a not guilty verdict personally, because taking from Paul to give to Peter isn't really a crime, but then again the rich see that differently because it affects all those corrupt, i.e. less for all, except the poor.

Edited by 4MyEgo

She will be found guilty otherwise the coup will have been for nothing.

An appeal will be lodged and she will self-exile herself to Dubai with the consent of the junta to leave without incident.

Backroom negotiations and agreements are common to find a way out for both sides.

If you look back at Thailands political history you will see losers in power struggles are often asked to leave the country in exile rather then jailing or executing them.  

This tends to works because Thai supporters are less enraged as long as they have not been treated with cruelty.

As for puppets, muppets and nominees contesting the next election, well that is another thing.

Edited by smileydude

Really why should anyone care. 

this is not politics. It is rich people playing power games. All parties are lead by rich leaders. 

When Thailand gets a grass root political party that is voted in by the grass roots people then I feel we will see politics.Until then we see over grown brats kicking sand in each other faces.While the populace watchs and nothing happens for their benefit.

It is real life soap opera.

Edited by lovelomsak

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

A few famous female political leaders who have done jail time yet emerged to be strong leaders. Indira Ghandi and Aung San Suu Kyi.

Not suggesting the same will happen to Yingluck if she is imprisoned but history shows there are always possibilities for the unexpected; particularly if she is seen to be persecuted for political reasons.

And more recently Mu Sochua in Cambodia.

15 minutes ago, Stardust314 said:

Its easy! thailand must stay resist from color revolutions from CIA. last time australian prime ministerpica say "want more democracy in TH" 

so that mean they prepare some proxy or color revolution in thailand. 

like usa is under military junta, madFukdog, matis,mccanister... 

Criticism of thailand is completely ridiculous in comparison to the US or GB. . Where you are under watching millions of street cameras(GB). and crime is the same level like usa. 

CharlieBo313

Wibble Wibble. 

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Who cares ? I always thought military ran countries did not have politics only leaders  I may be wrong here but that is this simple layman's opinion. 

They don't have leaders, only dictators.

Sheep will follow any whistle if they believe it leads to food.

You can really not call the silly little general a leader, can you?

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The difference being that ASSK and Mrs. Ghandi were actual politicians. Not a stooge for a criminal brother.

She has less than 3 years in politics in a government owned by her brother; and spent most time traveling! Hardly comparable.

Surely if she is guilty of a real crime the she should be fully accountable for what she has been allegedly done. That would be true accountability for actions.

If the allegations don't into true law then she should be acquitted. If she is found guilty and then not given jail or the sentence that is appropriate, the it proves the whole proceedings are a farce which I suspect is what's gointg on now.

Tomorrow's proceedings will tell the truth in many ways. 

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Is there anyone out there who thinks she will be found not guilty?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

(I didn't think so...)

Anyone actually think she wasn't negligent? That appointing yourself to chair the meetings and then never attending or doing anything about all those warnings and transferring any who dared raise criticism aren't examples of negligence?

At no time, according to the reports, as she or her defense team provided any evidence or statements to defend the actual charge, other than say she wasn't negligent.

So all those posters who think she's innocent, please explain why her actions weren't negligent?

Not the usual "but it's all political, others don't get prosecuted, it's because of her brother, etc etc etc". We all know that. But address the actual charge.

12 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

It always seems the divide between the North and Northeast and Bangkoks refusal to acknowledge this , And the conflict in the South are pointing to a 3 way split of the Nation. Militaries should protect a Nation and its Borders. Not suppress their people for the sake of elites

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The difference being that ASSK and Mrs. Ghandi were actual politicians. Not a stooge for a criminal brother.

She has less than 3 years in politics in a government owned by her brother; and spent most time traveling! Hardly comparable.

Once again you are in fine junta hugging form Shadowboxer. Despite your pathetic attempt at trolling you won't get a bite out of me other than this little nibble. Shoo fly!

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So all those posters who think she's innocent, please explain why her actions weren't negligent?

In every government worldwide the ruling political power has individuals that deal with different aspects of government   

That's why you have a foreign secretary, secretary of welfare, etc, etc

Every political party makes mistakes, that's why they normally get voted out

Was it her idea or one of her ministers? Either way she is the fall guy

The UK government said welcome to all migrants when every other country in Europe said no  (ultimately leading to brexit years later)

Where they  negligent?

The USA went to war against Vietnam and then pulled out at the cost of millions of lives

Where they  negligent?

Both will cost, has cost a lot more than the rice pledging scheme

Governments rightly or wrongly are voted by the people to make their decisions, they also make pledges to stay in power without really thinking of the cost.

People can talk s##t  about the family all day long but the bottom line is she was elected by the people

22 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Is there anyone out there who thinks she will be found not guilty?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

(I didn't think so...)

Okay, I'll put on my Rose colored glasses and ask the question..............why should she be found Guilty of anything but being stupid, and not keeping her cabinate in check - is there any proof she stole any of the money and personally benefited from it - like the  former S Korean President??  who amasses Millions of ??.  Not guilty of theft, guilty of stupidity and being an unqualified Prime Minister.  Suspended sentence, total ban from Politics - not five years, forever.

Politics has a huge influence in Thailand. Evidence is this current attempt to get rid of all Shin influence. Why? Because they got their hands on the levers which control the flow of money. The other side (currently in control) doesn't like that.

20 hours ago, Dene16 said:

In every government worldwide the ruling political power has individuals that deal with different aspects of government   

That's why you have a foreign secretary, secretary of welfare, etc, etc

Every political party makes mistakes, that's why they normally get voted out

Was it her idea or one of her ministers? Either way she is the fall guy

The UK government said welcome to all migrants when every other country in Europe said no  (ultimately leading to brexit years later)

Where they  negligent?

The USA went to war against Vietnam and then pulled out at the cost of millions of lives

Where they  negligent?

Both will cost, has cost a lot more than the rice pledging scheme

Governments rightly or wrongly are voted by the people to make their decisions, they also make pledges to stay in power without really thinking of the cost.

People can talk s##t  about the family all day long but the bottom line is she was elected by the people

Every Nation has their own story of economic mismanagement or Social ineptitude somewhere in their pasts. And as you say make promises and enact pledges that impact disasterously  somewhere down the line. Politics is about getting a tick on the voting form for your popularity not for showing ability. Yingluck was naive not negligent. Because of her name the current rulers want to make her the scapegoat . How is that not also corrupt?

On 25/08/2017 at 11:17 PM, Kiwiken said:

Yingluck was naive not negligent. Because of her name the current rulers want to make her the scapegoat . How is that not also corrupt?

I could not agree with you more.

However many here believe she was the puppet for her brother, something that cannot not be proved or disproved

That cannot be said of some of her ministers