Koh Samui festival set to celebrate 120th anniversary during 7-11 September

webfact

Koh Samui festival set to celebrate 120th anniversary during 7-11 September

PNECO600824001002001.jpg

SURAT THANI, 25 August 2017 (NNT) – Surat Thani province plans to celebrate the 120th anniversary of Samui island during 7-11 September 2017. 

Surat Thani Provincial Governor Auychai Innark said the province will hold Samui Festival 2017 to promote tourism on Koh Samui island and celebrate its 120th anniversary with spectacular and fun-filled activities. 

The event will take place at Nathon Pier, Chaweng Beach, and Fishermen Village and feature traditional local customs, spectacular parade, concerts, performances of local art and culture, Muay Thai boxing competition, food street, OTOP fair, free dinner buffet on Chaweng Beach, cycling event around the island, and Samui Festival Marathon winning the trophy from Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha. 

Interested persons can look up for more information on www.samuifestival.com, and http://www.facebook.com/samuifestival.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-08-25

19 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm...

I think Koh Samui is more than 120 years old.

Double hmm...

It had a different name back in the old days!  :tongue:

I thought I knew pretty well all the places to see on Samui  ... but don't know the boat with the Buddha 1minute.16 seconds into the video.

Let's get ready to party! :smile:

54 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm...

I think Koh Samui is more than 120 years old.

Double hmm...

Yes, heard they started building the island five years earlier but had the opening ceremony 120 years ago. 

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

I thought I knew pretty well all the places to see on Samui  ... but don't know the boat with the Buddha 1minute.16 seconds into the video.

Boph[ut Temple (at the traffic lights) , it is quite new

6 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

"Buddha in the Boat" is in the Fisherman Village Wat, but you have to drive right through and nearly out the other end to see it.  Quite impressive!

10 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

The temple in Bo Phut, behind the corner with the police box and traffic light to Fisherman Village – that boat has been under construction for long time, so seem like a while ago you last attended a temple market and/or concert there...:smile:

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

The temple in Bo Phut, behind the corner with the police box and traffic light to Fisherman Village – that boat has been under construction for long time, so seem like a while ago you last attended a temple market and/or concert there...:smile:

Never done Fisherman village / Bophut Friday or Monday markets... too hard to find parking!

Maenam once in a blue moon is enough!   Same vendors for the most part. :tongue:

7 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Never done Fisherman village / Bophut Friday or Monday markets... too hard to find parking!

Maenam once in a blue moon is enough!   Same vendors for the most part. :tongue:

Not that market, but the something like twice a year market inside the tempel. Not same vendors at various walking street, and often a good concert performance or two some of the nights; use to have a number of big names coming down from Bangkok, seen many good shows there...

–don't remember what this chap in the middle was called, but I know him from many Thai music-videos – his name is in written at back of stage – but he is extremely popular, especially among teen-girls, and both the songs, the performance and the sound was good...

wDSC02512.jpg.1b21e25538d175d6c784d3acf3c027ae.jpg

On 8/26/2017 at 5:47 AM, samuijimmy said:

The new markets in Ban Kao (Saturday's on the beach) and the one at the big Chinese temple near Wat Thanon (Wednesdays)  are very good with different stalls and good for photos

• 2 weeks later...

Festival has started - loud DJ music from the stage next to the lake/Central tonight, although its scheduled to stop at midnight (my accommodation is nearby, can't escape the music for the next few days I think!)

It is my first Samui Festival.  Looks like its going to be really good.  Lots of stuff happening around the lake, and I'm looking forward to the (free) beach buffet on Saturday night

Anyone know how late the beach buffet runs that night?

10 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Festival has started - loud DJ music from the stage next to the lake/Central tonight, although its scheduled to stop at midnight (my accommodation is nearby, can't escape the music for the next few days I think

Lived in that area 12 years ago, moved becase of the techno party at Lakeview twice per week until 6 am. 

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, Argus Tuft said:

It is my first Samui Festival.  Looks like its going to be really good.  Lots of stuff happening around the lake, and I'm looking forward to the (free) beach buffet on Saturday night

Anyone know how late the beach buffet runs that night?

I'd like to know that, plus where it is? as I don't want to run up and down Chaweng beach looking for it !

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

Apparently yesterday was the big day (free food), a friend said that they were stuck in traffic for 2 hours in the evening in the Chaweng area. We went down tonight as we have been away and there were more army/police than tourists. 

So I shall be happy, I did not try to get to the buffet yesterday, being stuck two hours in traffic, just to realize that all food was gone within the first 30 minutes (according to Facebook posts, also mentioning 2 hours traffic jam)...:crying:

Went to Chaweng Lake stage this evening – probably Samui Festival in Chaweng, with some food stands – surprisingly little crowd for a concert with the artist "Chin" and a backing group; but on the Samui Festival home page the Thai rockband "Slot Machine" was advertised for the 9:20pm show, and they seemed to be quite interesting with numerous professional official videos of their presumably hits (signed to Sony/BMG and won European MTV award for best Southeast Asian act). Actually we went after cinema, because my daughter wanted to see and hear Slot Machine – me too – but after two songs with substitute Chin, she asked if it was all right to go home, so boring, and she had never heard about him before. As others also walked out from the relative small crowd in front of the stage, I presumed we could also leave, without being too impolite...:whistling:

Agree with TheLobster, that it seemed like authority personel were the largest group of "Chin" fans...:smile: