I'm looking for media recommendations

kikenyoy

Any good tv shows, movies, youtube channels that you recommend? Something other than lakorns and ghost movies or the typical love stories. I used to use Wise Kwai's site for movie reviews but he stopped posting about a year ago. Some of the shows I watch now are เจาะใจ, กบนอกกะลา, MasterChef, เป็นต่อ.

Are there any popular Thai vloggers? Something like My Mate Nate but Thai and less obnoxious 555.  What about non-mainstream news channels? Something like the Young Turks. I remember seeing something like this a few years ago but can't remember the name.

Thanks

For news, I watch เรื่องเล่าเช้านี้ everyday.  Although, as you know it is anything but alternative.  I like it because of the scrolling แฟนข่าว text messages at the bottom talking about weather or reacting to a news story.  It has helped me pick up my reading speed.

One of my favorite tv shows is the game show ใครคือใคร because it has some great vocabulary in the category that people need to guess from.   

There used to be this Thai vlogger who posted her everyday life (usually eating and making dinner) in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.  I adored her videos, they were some kind of weird "Ed TV" inspired live posts.  Alas, she stopped posting and I can't find her anywhere online -- I forgot what she called her channel.  If anyone knows what I am talking about, I'd love to try and find it again.

I should also add, and I mentioned this on another thread, I have become obsessed with the DLIT teaching videos on youtube.   They have classroom videos -- just pick your subject and your level (I think it's just ประถมศึกษา) and sit in on a class.  They also have "Brain Brake" (their spelling) which are these really funny 2-3 minute exercise videos (like 'head shoulders knees and toes")   I will even pop in my boss's office on a stressful day and ask her to do a "Brain Brake" with me.  My boss doesn't know Thai and just follows the demonstrators, but I'll sing along/count along with the video while we de-stress.

I finally watched an episode of ใครคือใคร I liked it...thanks. My teacher recommended a show called "I can see your voice" which you might like. In general, I don't think music shows are great for language learning but there is a lot of speaking along with the singing.

I found the news show I was talking about. It's called เจาะข่าวตื้น. I wish it was less comedy and more news but I'll still start watching it again. It was way too tough for me when I found it years ago. I understand a lot more now but I still have a long way to go to to fully understand it.

Thanks for the recommendation of เจาะข่าวตื้น I am definitely adding that to my rotation.  It reminds me of a Spanish language show we get here in the US called "Alarma TV".

I also really like sit-coms and have watched a lot of บางรักซอย 9 and ผู้กองเจ้าเสน่ห์ but both of those are a bit out-dated now.

....and I won't mention my favorite lakorns because of your aforementioned distaste.  :smile: ...but I think they're a great way to learn a language -- simple plots and simple words overacted with drama -- what could be clearer.  555...

DLIT is great! They have higher level classes also. I'm watching an M.6 Thai class now. I love the short documentaries too but my vocabulary is weak in those areas so I don't understand a lot yet.

I'll give the sitcoms a try tomorrow.

Lakorns get on my nerves with the overacting, constant comedy sound effects, repetitive music etc. If you know one that doesn't have those elements then I'm interested. Having said that, my teacher recommended one and it was such an over the top parody of lakorns that it was actually enjoyable, The overacting was (intentionally) so bad that it was funny.

9 minutes ago, kikenyoy said:

Lakorns get on my nerves with the overacting, constant comedy sound effects, repetitive music etc. If you know one that doesn't have those elements then I'm interested.

555.... unfortunately, that doesn't exist.

Thanks for letting me know DLIT has มัธยม classes, too.  I'll have to find them.

• 2 weeks later...

I will soon start learning Thai on my own.  There are some AUA videos on their own YouTube channel, ALG World, but the channel Aleph-Tav has much longer AUA videos.   I will also be watching NJ Digital's Hello English.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:01 PM, SEtonal said:

I will soon start learning Thai on my own.  There are some AUA videos on their own YouTube channel, ALG World, but the channel Aleph-Tav has much longer AUA videos.   I will also be watching NJ Digital's Hello English.

Thanks, the longer videos are much more convenient.

Archived