Pattaya Experts, I Need Your Help.

DonTron

I'm having family and friends down to visit me in Pattaya. They are a bit spoiled, and I don’t know enough about the city to find the really good top quality places.

I hope that some of the Pattaya experts here can help me :-)

I am looking for:

1) Great Sea food Restaurants?

I have tried several of the ones on walking street, but I find it offensive then they serve 2500 Bath lobster on plastic plates on a laminate covered table. Last time I ate on plastic plates was when I were 3 years old :-)

What about the boat restaurants in the bay? are they any good?

I could really use some recommendations for a great sea food restaurant in Pattaya.

2) Great Thai restaurants?

A real traditional thai restaurant, with "lam thai" (classic Thai dance).

I have heard about a great place in Pattaya but don’t remember the name.

3) Other restaurants?

Any other restaurants with great food. Price doesn’t matter if the food is great.

4) High Quality Tailor?

Not one of those hand-shaking street tailors where you get 3 suits and 7 pants for $68.

I am looking for high quality expensive tailors, who can do an entire 50.000 bath wardrobe for my mom and grandma.

5) High Quality Beauty Spa?

Not one of those 150 bath weelcome fooooot massaaage!! but a real beauty spa with full treatment for body and soul etc. You know, something that can really impress women and keep them busy an entire day.

I really want to show them that Pattaya is not the filthy sex place that they hear about back in Europe.

So any input would be very much appreciated :o

Best,

Torben

2) Great Thai restaurants?

"The Thai House Restaurant" on Pattaya Nua - directly opposite Tesco-Lotus, next to Fascino.

Lobsters on china plates, if you want to be sure of a big one pop in earlier in the day to order. Has a dancing show, check for show times (19:00hrs)

Thai House Restaurant

171/1 M 6 North Pattaya. (Pattaya Nua)

Tel: (+66-38) 370-579 to 81, Fax:(+66-38) 370-581

[email protected]

Pictures and more details.

3) Other restaurants?

Small and often ignored/missed by others is "Somsak's Restaurant" to be found towards the Beach Road end of Soi 1 off of Second Road.

SOMSAK RESTAURANT

Soi 1 Second Road 436/24 M. 9

Pattaya City, Chonburi 20260

T: 410-485/6, 423-284, 428-987, 429-869

A fantastic place, great food and service, with car parking !

08.JPG

Two places I use to Thai dine guests: -

Cabbages and condoms - great location.

Sugar Hut, great surroundings again.

The Kitchen is also ok, though the food is a little touristy for my taste.

Spa, my family enjoyed Hard Rock.

have Fun

Aung Karm (sp) next to the driving range at the north end of 3rd Rd, great Northern Thai food

Jazz Pit, Soi 5, 2nd Rd, great Thai food and live jazz music. (my favourite)

Neither have dance shows.

Ruang Thai, 2nd Rd, opposite Royal Garden, good Thai food with Thai dancing.

Enjoy

best seafood restaruants are in Bang lamung which just past the Ambssodor Hotel on the way to Sattaip, if you turn right at the lights about a mile past the ambassodor and follow the road you will come to 5 yes 5 of them on the right hand side on the seafront.

for us the best one is Preecha seafood, me and the family always use this one.

as the are cheap fresh and much better than anywhere in Pattaya,

you can tell this by the amount of rich Thais who eat there infact that seems to be where they all congrgate early on a friday evening on account of all the Merc's BMS AND Range Rovers parked there so be warned be early.

best seafood restaruants are in Bang lamung which just past the Ambssodor Hotel on the way to Sattaip, if you turn right at the lights about a mile past the ambassodor and follow the road you will come to 5 yes 5 of them on the right hand side on the seafront.

you can tell this by the amount of rich Thais who eat there infact that seems to be where they all congrgate early on a friday evening on account of all the Merc's BMS AND Range Rovers parked there so be warned be early.

I don't think that you mean Bang Lamung as this is in the opposite direction - the centre is just a bit North of Pattaya but Bang Lamung is also the name of the Amphur and that covers quite a large area.

Maybe you are referring to Ban Amphur - that is in about the area that you mention. Also, if you are willing to travel a bit further towards Sattahip, there is good seafood to be had in Bang Sarae - turn right just past Nong Nooch gardens. The place we use is at the far end of the beach and is built out over the sea on pilings. I forget its correct name - we always say 'Bang Sarae Seafood' but it is excellent value for money (not an up-market place though but perfectly civilised). Their rock lobster is not to be missed.

DM

I'm having family and friends down to visit me in Pattaya. They are a bit spoiled, and I don’t know enough about the city to find the really good top quality places.

I hope that some of the Pattaya experts here can help me :-)

I am looking for:

4) High Quality Tailor?

Not one of those hand-shaking street tailors where you get 3 suits and 7 pants for $68.

I am looking for high quality expensive tailors, who can do an entire 50.000 bath wardrobe for my mom and grandma.

[.

Best,

Torben

I recommend the Maharaja Tailor, between Soi 4 and 5 on Beach Rd. They are the oldest tailors in Pattaya. They can make a suit for you within twenty four hours if you require, but they prefer to take two or three fittings until you are satisfied completely.

I have bought four quality suits there, for less than 1/5 of the price of the bespoke Savile Row London prices.

Don't tell everybody :o

Agree this is the best place I have found. :D

Don't tell everybody :o

Agree this is the best place I have found. :D

Total agreement

Mods can you delete that post we don’t want all the tourists down there.

Its where I go to get away from them all, and the know it all Xpats.

:D

Some of us mods dine there regularly too... I live very close to Baan Amphur.

:o

I don't really think we're going to get an influx of tourists at our favourite restaurants, based on this thread... do you?

It's good for us locals too... based on Kurgen's recommendation, I'm going to try the Jazz Pit... somewhere I'd never thought of going before.

3) Other restaurants?[/b]

Small and often ignored/missed by others is "Somsak's Restaurant" to be found towards the Beach Road end of Soi 1 off of Second Road.

SOMSAK RESTAURANT

Soi 1 Second Road 436/24 M. 9

Pattaya City, Chonburi 20260

T: 410-485/6, 423-284, 428-987, 429-869

A fantastic place, great food and service, with car parking !

08.JPG

I was going to eat at Aung Karm (?) last night but decided to try Somsaks Restaurant.

The only thing I can agree with you on Cuban is that there is parking.

The food took ages to come out, I admit they were very busy but they would bring 1 dish out and we had finished it before anything else arrived. The last 2 dishes out of the 5 we ordered came together though.

The food was adverage, nothing special.

There was only one man working as service helped by a young girl of about 12 years old.

When I ordered the bill it also took ages to appear which is one of my pet hates.

The table cloth had cigarette burns in it.

The restaurant isn't enclosed so there's no air con, no problem at this time of year though.

The best thing about it is they serve Tiger beer.

Some of us mods dine there regularly too... I live very close to Baan Amphur.

:o

I don't really think we're going to get an influx of tourists at our favourite restaurants, based on this thread... do you?

It's good for us locals too... based on Kurgen's recommendation, I'm going to try the Jazz Pit... somewhere I'd never thought of going before.

No it was only a joke. it my place for a late lunch.

Are you the old American guy who comes in using the Zimmer frame?

"3) Other restaurants?

Any other restaurants with great food. Price doesn’t matter if the food is great."

First, let me add my endorsement of the seafood restaurants located at Ban Amphur and Ban Saraeng. They are, indeed, outstanding. All are inexpensive, with varying degrees of good to excellent quality. Most are, however, a bit "basic" in both the surroundings and the service. Again, I'm not criticizing, just alerting you as to what to expect.

My main purpose is to address the request above. Since you said that "price doesn't matter", I have to suggest that you check out the restaurants along Thappraya Road. One of them, Sugar Hut, was mentioned earlier, and is very good. If you'd be interested in going a bit more "upscale", there are a few along that road that certainly qualify as "Fine Dining". We have visited 3 such restaurants: "Bruno's" (excellent seafood and steaks); "Manhattan's" (also seafood and steaks as specialties); and "Gian's" (Italian cuisine, the least expensive of these 3). All 3 of these are very comfortable, bordering on elegant, and have excellent food and service. They also have extensive wine lists.

The easiest way to get there is to go down Theprasit Road all the way to the end. There, turn right. You'll see a fine, mid-range Italian restaurant on the left called "Pan Pan". The other places I mentioned are on the right side of the street, beginning just beyond "Pan Pan". Ample parking beside them.

Depends upon your taste, because, as you drive north on that road, you'll see one after another from which to choose. The area is a great arguement against those who constantly criticize Pattaya as a "trash town". There's is plenty of quality dining and entertainment here, if you take the time to look for it.

ENJOY!

"3) Other restaurants?

Any other restaurants with great food. Price doesn’t matter if the food is great."

First, let me add my endorsement of the seafood restaurants located at Ban Amphur and Ban Saraeng. They are, indeed, outstanding. All are inexpensive, with varying degrees of good to excellent quality. Most are, however, a bit "basic" in both the surroundings and the service. Again, I'm not criticizing, just alerting you as to what to expect.

My main purpose is to address the request above. Since you said that "price doesn't matter", I have to suggest that you check out the restaurants along Thappraya Road. One of them, Sugar Hut, was mentioned earlier, and is very good. If you'd be interested in going a bit more "upscale", there are a few along that road that certainly qualify as "Fine Dining". We have visited 3 such restaurants: "Bruno's" (excellent seafood and steaks); "Manhattan's" (also seafood and steaks as specialties); and "Gian's" (Italian cuisine, the least expensive of these 3). All 3 of these are very comfortable, bordering on elegant, and have excellent food and service. They also have extensive wine lists.

The easiest way to get there is to go down Theprasit Road all the way to the end. There, turn right. You'll see a fine, mid-range Italian restaurant on the left called "Pan Pan". The other places I mentioned are on the right side of the street, beginning just beyond "Pan Pan". Ample parking beside them.

Depends upon your taste, because, as you drive north on that road, you'll see one after another from which to choose. The area is a great arguement against those who constantly criticize Pattaya as a "trash town". There's is plenty of quality dining and entertainment here, if you take the time to look for it.

ENJOY!

I forgot to add another very nice seaside restaurant that's just off of Thappraya Road. It's called "Rabbit Resort". The owners are a Thai man (born in the year of the Rabbit!), and his American wife. Very comfortable, with an extensive menu, decent wine list, and reasonable prices. When you turn right off of Thepprasit Road, you turn left just before reaching "Pan Pan". Follow the road to a sharp left turn (facing a Buddha), then right. The entrance to the parking lot is on your right, before you reach the next sharp turn.

On the negative side, I have to concur with the criticism of Somsak. I did not care for this place. It's a bit dreary. Just a big open "warehouse" sort of environment. We also found the service and food to be mediocre.

Since I don't want to close with a negative, I'll also add my endorsement of the "Thai House" on Pattaya Nua for a Thai dance show and pretty good Thai food.

Seafood.

Si Nuan Seafood in Ban Amphur.

Preecha Seafood in Ban Amphur.

Bang Saray Seafood on the fishing pier at Bang Saray.

All a few miles outside Pattaya.

Thai with entertainment.

Ruen Thai, Pattaya second road.

Fine dining.

Casa Pascal, near Ruen Thai, Pattaya second road.

Bruno's, Thappraya rd. Jomtien.

Best Tailor.

Classic Tailor, Near Royal Palace hotel, second road.

Naka.

In the "fine dining" category here are a few more suggestions.

Saturday night Grand Buffet at the Royal Cliff Resort, beautiful setting and incredible selection of food in gorgeous surrounding. Worth the price but bring your appetite

Mata Hari on Thappraya Rd. beside Manhattan Steak House, fine European style dining, reasonable pricing for the outstanding quality.

Mantra at the Amari Resort, northern end of Beach Rd. on the corner. Excellent relatively new restaraunt, very impressive dining room and bar area. Many different styles and types of cooking, very nice.

I was going to eat at Aung Karm (?) last night but decided to try Somsaks Restaurant.

The only thing I can agree with you on Cuban is that there is parking.

There was only one man working as service helped by a young girl of about 12 years old.

When I ordered the bill it also took ages to appear which is one of my pet hates.

The table cloth had cigarette burns in it.

The restaurant isn't enclosed so there's no air con, no problem at this time of year though.

The best thing about it is they serve Tiger beer.

I think measurement of restaurants depends on different factors, I doubt that they were busy because of my earlier post, the mix of Thai & farang eating there and them being busy during peak times says something about the place, particularly somewhere off the beaten track and the end of an otherwise empty Soi. I don't want to appear to defend a place where I like to eat only 4/5 times a year, it's not my local venue, but I do enjoy the food they have; the Liver/bacon, prawn and chicken in a pot is very nice. The bill for two people will be something like 300-400 Baht. Compare that with The Jazz Pit on Soi 5 (also with parking!) where I have also taken people before to have fried rice at about B200 a dish. They are both good - but very different places.

> The food took ages to come out....

I understand that late last year one of the cooks there moved on to set up her own restaurant, this may be a factor.

> ...1 dish out and we had finished it before anything else arrived.

> The last 2 dishes out of the 5 we ordered came together though.

Common in Thailand, with dishes being shared between diners along side a large bowl of rice. I find in many restaurants (including farang chains in Thailand like Sizzler for example) if ordering dishes for one person to eat tell the waiter that we want the main courses dishes brought to the table at the same time or when ordering a "Starter" you often need to explain that that small dish needs to be delivered before the rest. TIT.

Sorry you didn't like it, but it won't put me off.

Edited by Cuban

Common in Thailand, with dishes being shared between diners along side a large bowl of rice. I find in many restaurants (including farang chains in Thailand like Sizzler for example) if ordering dishes for one person to eat tell the waiter that we want the main courses dishes brought to the table at the same time or when ordering a "Starter" you often need to explain that that small dish needs to be delivered before the rest. TIT.

I understand how food is often served her in Thailand and am used to it now.What I am not used to is finishing a dish and then waiting almost another 5 minutes, whilst my rice is going cold and congealing, before another dish is served.

Somsaks prices are pretty much the same if not more than Aung Karm's and you can park there as well.

4) High Quality Tailor?

Don't remember the name, but easy to find, in second road, on the left hand side as traffic goes, just before getting to Soi 1. Big shop. They have plenty of choice in fabrics and designs both for men and women. Not cheap but as fair as tailors go. Normally use a different tailor (cheaper), but for special occasions or special visitors that want high quality, still at a fraction of the price things would cost in Europe, I always go there and have been very happy with the results for more than 2 years.

5) High Quality Beauty Spa?

Not one of those 150 bath weelcome fooooot massaaage!! but a real beauty spa with full treatment for body and soul etc. You know, something that can really impress women and keep them busy an entire day.

Health Land in North Pattaya, on the left hand side if you're driving up to Sukhumvit is very good and they have properly trained staff.

The Spa at the Dusit Hotel, end of Second Road, is probably one of the most luxurious and with best service in Pattaya.

About restaurants, I want to mention Somsak, which is one of those places where I keep going back, even if I wouldn't list it on a Top-10 favorite list.

I think has good food (not extraordinary but, in my opinion, better than average for the price) and an interesting and friendly owner. The endless menu makes it a bit difficult to spot the best dishes, but you can always ask for advice based on your taste.

I must admit that, although I have never seen just 1 waiter with the help of 1 young girl serving the tables, food usually takes a bit longer to arrive than I'd consider normal standard for Thailand. The staff is very friendly when you arrive, quick to take your orders, but then the quality of service starts to go down (not the friendliness). The bill takes forever, but you can easily get over this by asking for it directly to the owner. All considered, I still would (and I do) take friends there.

Mantra, that has been mentioned before, at the Amari Hotel is the place to go for 2.500 (or 3.000) baht lobsters served in the right surroundings and cooked in any way you can imagine.

I think Mantra has also the best Sunday brunch in Pattaya, at a very reasonable price for what they offer (950 baht per person). The design of the bar and the restaurant makes it the kind of place you would not expect to find in "beer-bar, cheap-charlie Pattaya". Worth a visit.

For a place a bit out of the way, the Anyanya restaurant at the very end of Naklua (the road literally ends there), right on the beach, has very good food and a very nice setting. If you go there, try to stay away from the live band (the music is fine, but loud if you're near them).

yes doctorman you are right i always get the 2 mixed up, and its almost 2 1/2 yrs since i lived there now, no excuse i know but what the hel_l we got it right in the end.

as for the seafood resteruants in ban saray ive had a few bad meals there so i never farvoured the place but thats just my opinion, however there is a place called the ban saray club owned by an farang which is also good for a quite drink, you need to go over a little bridge to get to it.

must say though that ban saray beech is a great place to go and watch the sun set.