Changes to Blood Donation Rules?

Morakot

Yesterday, I tried to donate blood. I was informed that I am now permanently excluded from donating in Thailand, because I have resided in "Europe" for more than five years. I have donated before in Thailand without any problem and was informed that this apparently was a new rule.

However this all seems rather arbitrary as the main registration form does not even ask any such question about residency in Europe. The form only asks whether  'lived in England (UK) [sic.] between 1980 - 1996 for more than 3 month', which I incidently did not. Yesterday the doctor assessing me, asked some routine questions about food, sleep, etc. and then asked me where I was from. I replied: UK. She then got a folder and looked up some information, finally  showing me this information sheet.

Does anyone know anything about this? Why I am I asked such additional questions and most people seemingly are not?

IMG_20170826.jpg

The concern is mad cow disease (Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease)

US and Australia have similar restriction

Specific to people who lived in UK from 1980–1996.

The "in Europe for more than 5 years" part, I haven't heard before.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The "in Europe for more than 5 years" part, I haven't heard before.

US Food and Drug Administration has similar guidelines for new donors  who resided in Europe...

https://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodvaccines/bloodbloodproducts/questionsaboutblood/ucm108186.htm

However how consistent this is applied here in Thailand is not clear, since I just donated less the 12 month ago.

Is the Red Cross National Blood centre the only transfusion service in Thailand? Or do some hospitals have their own donation services?

Archived