Did anyone end up hating Thailand after retiring?

Aing123

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Lets start with the fact that foreigners can't own a house in Thailand, so much less have an own house to paint.

Perhaps he should have said the house that he lives in that his wife owns.

Does that make you any happier?

Most people on Thai Visa understand that but only nit picking pedantic people pick on the words and NOT the meaning behind them.

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps he should have said the house that he lives in that his wife owns.

Does that make you any happier?

Most people on Thai Visa understand that but only nit picking pedantic people pick on the words and NOT the meaning behind them.

Thanks for agreeing that it is not his house, but there was no need to nitpick by you to make that clear, as I had said that already.

So since you pretend to be the smartest on this forum, how does one paint his house that isn't his?

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Thanks for agreeing that it is not his house, but there was no need to nitpick by you to make that clear, as I had said that already.

So since you pretend to be the smartest on this forum, how does one paint his house that isn't his?

I rest my case.

NO I have never pretended to be the smartest person on the forum. You may have done but I undserstand and ackowledge that there are many peoply smarter than me and equally there are many people who are not as smart either.

From your forum name it seems as though you come from Holland. When you talk about things,, do you say " In my country we............ when in fact it is NOT your country but the country that you came from?

Edited by billd766

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, upside said:

Seriously? ?

Mate you must be living skint. It's cheap the world over and the only reason McDonalds have succeeded. 

Seriously?

Back home Macs is cheap compared to other options, and I used it to have a cheap meal when in town, along with all the others, as sometimes they had great specials.

In Thailand, which is the only relevant country of discussion here, Macs and all the rest are about 3 to 4 times the other options. In Chiang Mai I can get a satisfying meal in the Night Bazzar for 60 baht, while a normal Macs burger with fries and drink is around 200. Just the cheapest burger which, if I remember has only some plastic cheese and a smidgen of sauce costs more than the far superior meal I already referenced.

The great success of advertising in making junk food and uncomfortable interiors into a status eating destination.

13 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

how does one paint his house that isn't his?

???????????

I fail to understand your point. I rewired and did maintenance and plumbing on two houses that did not belong to me in Thailand. It's called "helping the family" and has zero to do with ownership.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, craigt3365 said:

McDonalds is normally not the cheapest option for food the world over.  Normally, it's one of the more expensive options.  Like here in Thailand.

It's the cheapest fast food in London. Normally I'd go for a takeaway place, but in London they cook loads and it is usually stale by the time one buys it, unless just after they fry it.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:13 PM, alanferdi said:

1. You have to go through these 90 day checks...they want to see if you are alive. It has got easier with this govt. but still a hazzle. Why cant they make a digital system and have retirees an ID like in Hong Kong?

2, Then you need to keep 800.000 blocked in a bank and produce receipt of it each year when you go to renew your pension visa.

3.  The constant hackling and having to play games with the immigration officials that seem to make up things as they go along.

a. No working - Painting your own house or doing some manual work around your own house could put you into position to pay a fine from 50.000Baht. What nonsense is this.

b. There are jobs that only Thais can do

I am presently in Sri Lanka.

1. Agree 90 days checks are a hassle, but at least they are free, and can be done by mail.

2. You don't HAVE to keep 800,000 all year. Can use it except for 3 months. If don't have a sufficient income, then yes, LOS is not for you.

3. Agree. A big minus.

a. Nonsense, you can work on the house you live in without fear of trouble. Thousands of expats do so. Why else are they buying tools at Home Pro?

You just can't work on stranger's houses for reward.

After a flood, I went out and helped the council workers put in sandbags. No one arrested me, even though officials were there.

b. Quite right too. Putting Thais first is what they are supposed to do, unlike stupid western governments.

I loathe Sri Lanka. Full of con men and crooks when I went there. Far worse than anything I experienced in LOS.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:22 AM, Global Guy said:

So, now life is much better. I don't explore Thailand as much as before because I've seen what I want to see and the rest, I can do without. It's helped me avoid being one of the bitter long timers. I enjoy life more after accepting these realities. I never expected Thailand to be anything other than third world, so no disappointments there.

I don't think anyone ever sees everything LOS has to offer, but you make a good point about acceptance being the secret to happiness, or at the least avoidance of bitterness.

I don't do much in LOS now for various reasons, but accept that it is what it is, and that it is far, far better than the fate that awaits me back home when I have to return.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I loathe Sri Lanka. Full of con men and crooks when I went there. Far worse than anything I experienced in LOS.

Just back from my first trip there.  I've been to over 100 countries and these were some of the nicest people I've ever met.  Bar none.  Nothing like what we experience here. Fantastic place to visit.  I was there for a bit over 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Just back from my first trip there.  I've been to over 100 countries and these were some of the nicest people I've ever met.  Bar none.  Nothing like what we experience here. Fantastic place to visit.  I was there for a bit over 2 weeks.

Well, I'm happy for you, but I was badly conned, and terrified for my life by boatmen that took me into mangroves without telling me that they were going to. I was certain they were going to kill me for the few rupees I had on me. They didn't, but did threaten to beat me up to make me give them all the money I had on me, which was far more than the agreed price.

I was approached by con men every day on the beach, treated badly by the tour company, refused a refund when I was unable to get on the train because there were too many people on it,  almost killed by the maniac van driver that I hired after I couldn't get on the train, accommodated in sub standard rooms at the beach, and was told not to go out walking at night because I'd be murdered.

There is more, lots more, but It was the worst holiday of my life, and I've had my share of bad holidays.

I spent every day after the first wishing I'd gone to Thailand instead. Never made that mistake again, and stuck with Thailand, a zillion % better.

16 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

If you haven't met nice people in LOS, I can only surmise you stay in the touristy areas, or came too late to LOS.

Even there, I've met wonderful people, but one has to get out of the hotel to find them.

BTW, the most friendly people I ever met were Fijians in the rural areas back in the early 1970s. Most brilliant smiles I ever saw.

Unfortunately, by the late 70s the smile seemed to have gone.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, I'm happy for you, but I was badly conned, and terrified for my life by boatmen that took me into mangroves without telling me that they were going to. I was certain they were going to kill me for the few rupees I had on me. They didn't, but did threaten to beat me up to make me give them all the money I had on me, which was far more than the agreed price.

I was approached by con men every day on the beach, treated badly by the tour company, refused a refund when I was unable to get on the train because there were too many people on it,  almost killed by the maniac van driver that I hired after I couldn't get on the train, accommodated in sub standard rooms at the beach, and was told not to go out walking at night because I'd be murdered.

There is more, lots more, but It was the worst holiday of my life, and I've had my share of bad holidays.

I spent every day after the first wishing I'd gone to Thailand instead. Never made that mistake again, and stuck with Thailand, a zillion % better.

Wow.  Not good.  We never saw a con man on any beach, but we were at the more remote ones.  I avoided the more touristy places.  Except Kandy.

2 weeks of roaming around and didn't encounter anything like that.  Nothing near.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you haven't met nice people in LOS, I can only surmise you stay in the touristy areas, or came too late to LOS.

Even there, I've met wonderful people, but one has to get out of the hotel to find them.

BTW, the most friendly people I ever met were Fijians in the rural areas back in the early 1970s. Most brilliant smiles I ever saw.

Unfortunately, by the late 70s the smile seemed to have gone.

I first started coming here in 2002.  And have been in both touristy areas and places with zero foreign tourists. Some of the worst fights I've ever seen have been in rural villages during celebrations when the young guys get drunk and go after each other.  Absolute insanity and we've run for cover more than once.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

how does one paint his house that isn't his?

???????????

I fail to understand your point. I rewired and did maintenance and plumbing on two houses that did not belong to me in Thailand. It's called "helping the family" and has zero to do with ownership.

The reason for my reaction, was because the poster questioned that it would be against immigration laws if he painted his own house.

If he painted his own property that would surely not be an issue, but since it isn't his property, things lay completely different and he is actually working on someone else property. You will also know that painting is something every Thai can do,  well....

I believe that you have done maintenance etc on others people house, as most on this forum will have done in the past, but I doubt that in any of those events an immigration officer passed by. So it's difficult to know how they would respond.

I know cases of people who got caught for doing charity without a work permit, and that clearly classifies under helping out Thais.

There is even a very famous case that made the world press at the time of the Tsunami.

I also remember some guy in South Thailand, who got caught restoring his own boat, and I have no doubt there are many more similar cases on this forum and elsewhere.

But I gladly stand corrected if you can give just ONE example where a foreigner was painting the house of his wife, and an immigration officer came around, and said it was all fine and he did nothing wrong.

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I first started coming here in 2002.  And have been in both touristy areas and places with zero foreign tourists. Some of the worst fights I've ever seen have been in rural villages during celebrations when the young guys get drunk and go after each other.  Absolute insanity and we've run for cover more than once.

Fair enough. You arrived 10 years too late. It really was great then, and they really did smile.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

But I gladly stand corrected if you can give just ONE example where a foreigner was painting the house of his wife, and an immigration officer came around, and said it was all fine and he did nothing wrong.

That's never going to happen, because it's not illegal to work on the house you live in.

That would be like saying a farang can't cook a meal in his residence, or cut the grass, or any of a thousand things that everyone does.

Sure, if they really wanted to get you, that could be an excuse, but no imm. officer wakes up and say that he going to arrest every farang buying tools at Home Pro for illegally working.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sure, if they really wanted to get you, that could be an excuse,

Thanks, that was also my point, and you nicely contradicted yourself in a single post

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

it's not illegal to work on the house you live in.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think anyone ever sees everything LOS has to offer, but you make a good point about acceptance being the secret to happiness, or at the least avoidance of bitterness.

I don't do much in LOS now for various reasons, but accept that it is what it is, and that it is far, far better than the fate that awaits me back home when I have to return.

What I wrote is " because I've seen what I want to see and the rest, I can do without."

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's never going to happen, because it's not illegal to work on the house you live in.

That would be like saying a farang can't cook a meal in his residence, or cut the grass, or any of a thousand things that everyone does.

Sure, if they really wanted to get you, that could be an excuse, but no imm. officer wakes up and say that he going to arrest every farang buying tools at Home Pro for illegally working.

Illegal or not, if an official wanted to fine you for this, it could happen.  I know a guy who got turned into immigration for collecting homeowners association's dues.  Crazy things happen here in Thailand, not all make them to the press.

32 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The reason for my reaction, was because the poster questioned that it would be against immigration laws if he painted his own house.

If he painted his own property that would surely not be an issue, but since it isn't his property, things lay completely different and he is actually working on someone else property. You will also know that painting is something every Thai can do,  well....

I believe that you have done maintenance etc on others people house, as most on this forum will have done in the past, but I doubt that in any of those events an immigration officer passed by. So it's difficult to know how they would respond.

I know cases of people who got caught for doing charity without a work permit, and that clearly classifies under helping out Thais.

There is even a very famous case that made the world press at the time of the Tsunami.

I also remember some guy in South Thailand, who got caught restoring his own boat, and I have no doubt there are many more similar cases on this forum and elsewhere.

Of course anything can and does happen in Thailand AND the rule of law is almost zero. But in theory only, aren't the Thai labor laws written so that foreigners don't displace Thais in full-time, paid employments jobs? Again, in theory, because we don't have enough time in the day to write about exceptions.

It's kind of senseless to try and use all the exceptions to disprove the law because everything that happens in Thailand has little consistency or logic. Pretty much the entire enforcement of laws, especially against foreigners, is a money grab anyway. But working on one's residence isn't a job, it a task or a chore, like cleaning one's house, washing dishes, doing laundry, etc. Yes, a Thai can be hired to do that but it's not displacing a job by doing one task. 

If the foreigner worked for a painting company and he painted houses as a job, full-time, then that is potentially displacing an actual job and against the law as I remember it.

I could hire a nurse to wipe my backside in the bathroom, but I do it myself, yet I'm not displacing a nursing job so I don't see it as breaking this law. 

I could be wrong about all this, but that's how I remember it. I'll have to revisit it when I have time to waste.

On 22/09/2017 at 3:22 AM, Global Guy said:

I think the key to enjoying yourself in Thailand is carving out your circuit that you interact with and venture outside of that only when needed. I used to try new things much more than I do now because it's often frustrating to deal with the overcharging scams, the poor customer service, and low selection and/or quality of goods and services. We have a small circle of places we get food from and I order almost of of what I need where quality is an issue, online through Amazon, Lazada, or other sites.

Now that I'm married, I first have my wife deal with any and all other Thais as much as possible. I find that my stress level has gone down dramatically. When I first moved here, I was all into the whole immersion thing...studied the language, culture, everything. But I would get frustrated daily because the one thing I couldn't change is that I'm a foreigner in a third world country that treats foreigners worse than they treat their fellow citizens. I don't care about why that is, it's just reality. So I don't care about learning the language, my wife speaks English very well, and if I have to deal with Thais it's with written instructions I had my wife write out and I give them or a picture on my cell phone. 

When I was new here, I was more accepting of being treated poorly, I just thought it was part of life here. Now, if staff at a store refuse to look up from their phones to help me buy something, I just go somewhere else. I don't get angry about it like I used to. They don't care about losing my business, I know that, and I don't choose to be treated poorly. Simple. Win/win. I'm more likely to laugh than get angry. Sometimes, I might say out loud and with a BIG smile, to entertain myself "No, no, it's okay, don't stop looking at your phone to do your job, it's okay, watch your video" and keep smiling and walk to another store. 

We sometimes forget we live in a third world country and "half ass" is just the accepted level of life here. I lived in L.A. almost ten years and parts of it are like Little Mexico and it was the same way there. You get used to it. 

So, now life is much better. I don't explore Thailand as much as before because I've seen what I want to see and the rest, I can do without. It's helped me avoid being one of the bitter long timers. I enjoy life more after accepting these realities. I never expected Thailand to be anything other than third world, so no disappointments there.

Bitter long timer? You said it.

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Wouldn't the Labor Department be responsible for enforcement?   I have a friend who works for the Labor Department who has seen hundreds of Farang working on houses and said nothing.  I doubt if you actually know anyone who has had a problem.  Bar talk and news stuff I imagine as opposed to actual first hand knowledge. 

On 29/08/2017 at 2:18 AM, tonray said:

I'll quote myself because I wanted to elaborate a bit here. I am 59 and decided to quit working a few years early...but pre-pension (earliest I can reasonably draw SS and Pension monies is 62). I have assets and investments but keeping to a tight budget until that steady income flow comes in at 62. Keeping a strict budget AND being retired in Thailand is difficult, I am finding the transition from working every day to having nothing to do daunting and the cash restrictions are limiting my activities. So just something to keep in mind. When you are working all day you have the advantage of a steady paycheck and since you are working, less opportunity to spend money.

I personally am never never bothered with having 'nothing to do'. I always seems so busy especially since adopting a keep fit routine that takes 2 or 3 hours a day. I bit torrent long drama and action and comedy series and viewing them takes loads of my time. I travel around Thailand exploring. I do photography and make videos and the editing is very time consuming. I go out monging at least twice a week at night and do daily similar activities 2 or 3 times a week in the day time. I like to have a long lie in but stay up late. I hated work in including school from 5 to 16 so having 'nothing to do' is bliss for me. It's freedom. I read books and lose myself in other worlds. I enjoy cooking which is both creative and relaxing. The brilliant thing about Thailand especially Pattaya and Bangkok is that there is always something mad happening. Thailand provides a colourful, vibrant backdrop to ones daily life. and provides Food, music, fun..But if You want to chill  on a hammock on an island or whither in a village that is an easy option...but not for me.

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Actually it does not need immigration officials to intervene in what we would just call helping a friend. The police or army can brace you. The army are more expensive to pay off. Recently two ex pats were caught  carrying an A.C. unit from a truck to bar and were 'fined ' about 50 k baht. Happened on the dark side about 6 months ago.

On 29/08/2017 at 3:33 AM, dotpoom said:

Amen Amen to that....unfortunately the "crackpots" ..."disgruntled" (no matter where they reside, me thinks)....and all those who look at life from a place of doom and gloom....Shout the loudest.

Yes because people carry their own emotional baggage with them. They were probaly unhappy whiners before they came here, are disgruntled here and if they move on to somewhere else they will whinge and moan.

On 29/08/2017 at 5:34 AM, impulse said:

I'd add:  Do it for at least a year before making any irrevocable decisions.  Or any that will be real expensive or heartbreaking to unwind.

The part in italics is a veiled reference to diligent condom use, among other things.

No. Do not allow TV or newspapers to mediate your reality because they are false. Do we judge Australia by 'Neighbours' or 'Underbelly'...Do we really believe English soap operas reflect English life? The best thing for the OP to do is come here and base his decisions on his own personal, actual experience not media drivel. One thing I notice about the gloomy guys in Pattaya is that they dont do the girly scene. The guys that do go out on sexual adventures always seem happier and enjoy life more.

On 29/08/2017 at 6:02 AM, tonray said:

The strangest thing is when you try to hold a door open for a Thai.  They really have no idea what to do Or say.  They just stand there in a trance... 555

Ive never seen that. They just walk through normally with me.....i'll look out for it.