Russian Woman shot and robbed in Rawai, Phuket

webfact

Russian Woman shot and robbed in Rawai

By Nattha Thepbamrung

IMG_0526.jpg

Police found her bed and floor covered in blood at the scene. On the floor, police found .38 bullets and bloody footsteps around the bedroom.

PHUKET: -- A 52 year-old Russian woman, Aiena Ksarenko was shot and robbed in her villa in Rawai. Police are on the lookout for the two thieves they believe are involved in the crime.

Police found her bed and floor covered in blood at the scene. On the floor, police found .38 bullets and bloody footsteps around the bedroom. The shower’s glass wall was shattered from the shooting and all 3 bedrooms in the house were rummaged by the thieves. There were some more footsteps on the wall outside the house as well as another .38 bullet and 2 shoulder bags dropped nearby. A safe box was stolen from the house.

Locals in front of Soi Kokmakham, connecting to Soi Hua Pru, found Aiena on the ground covered in blood about 400 meters away from her house; a rather dark and isolated area. 

Source: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/russian-woman-shot-robbed-rawai

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-08-30

Something doesn't sound right with this reporting. 

"On the floor, police found .38 bullets" - assuming they mean the shells, .38 caliber is a very rare caliber for a semi-auto pistol.

I would be interested to know how many shells were found in the bedroom, because unless they fired 6 shots from a revolver, why dump out the empty shells half way through the cylinder / magazine, thus, also leaving more evidence behind, and this happened outside the house as well, where they dumped out only one shell. 

Unusual the safe wasn't bolted in. 

Anyway, sounds like someone knew she was in possession of a considerable amount of cash, or an item/s of particular value.

I see many expats in the bank, withdrawing large sums of money, possibly for a month's living expenses, or the purchase of an expensive item.  It wouldn't be difficult for a dodgy bank teller to act as a "spotter" having access to the account holder's address.

Edited by NamKangMan

Usually .38 or 9 mm are prohibited notes and used mostly by law enforcement officials in south Asian countries and here there are a lot of gap in the story and event . 

Sad no doubt and may her soul Rest In Peace . 

49 minutes ago, Nemesis7 said:

Usually .38 or 9 mm are prohibited notes and used mostly by law enforcement officials in south Asian countries and here there are a lot of gap in the story and event . 

"used mostly by law enforcement officials in south Asian countries" - correct, in the form of a revolver, but not in semi-auto. 

So, unless 6 shots were fired in the bedroom, and the thief reloads, dumping out 6 shells, why pick a few spent rounds out of the cylinder, throwing them on the floor?  This would only happen for a tactical reload, during a lull in a gun fight, which isn't usually the case during a robbery such as this.

Then, doing it again, outside, when they are retreating, and also leaving bags behind.

Maybe the thieves were high on ice. 

Anyway, she has not died, so I hope she makes a full recovery to give further information to the police.

Edited by NamKangMan

Whole reporting is a mess: 
"Police found her bed and floor covered in blood at the scene." vs "Locals in front of Soi Kokmakham, connecting to Soi Hua Pru, found Aiena on the ground covered in blood about 400 meters away from her house; a rather dark and isolated area."...

4 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Whole reporting is a mess: 
"Police found her bed and floor covered in blood at the scene." vs "Locals in front of Soi Kokmakham, connecting to Soi Hua Pru, found Aiena on the ground covered in blood about 400 meters away from her house; a rather dark and isolated area."...

Whilst I agree that the reporting is all over the place, she could have been shot on the bed and then staggered outside.

Russian woman shot, injured by burglars in Phuket

9b22f7e836ea1c92e8598fecff980694-sld.jpg

PHUKET: -- A Russian woman was shot and severely injured at her luxurious resort house near Rawai beach in Phuket’s Muang district early Wednesday.

Aiena Ksarenko, 52, was shot twice, in the left side of her waist and the right calf, said Pol Captain Chanan Hongsitthichaikul, deputy inspector of Chalong police station. Chanan was alerted of the robbery incident at 3.30am.

The woman was staying at the house with her husband, also Russian, who had gone out for a drink on Tuesday night.

She told police that she woke up in her bedroom to see thieves searching it for valuables. She shouted for help and one of the thieves shot her twice. Police found two spent shells of .38 ammunition at the scene.

Police discovered that the thieves had searched two other bedrooms before they came to the woman’s room, and that had taken away a safe box.

After the thieves fled, the Russian woman struggled to get outside and was helped by locals about 400 metres from her house. They called police and a rescue foundation that rushed her to the Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325293

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-30

No reason from the story to assume there was an error and that the police found expended shells rather than bullets, or rounds, as stated.
It is entirely possible, if less likely, that somebody did drop some bullets while reloading a revolver.
I am not advancing any theories, just find it interesting that some have stated more or less as fact that there must have been a semi auto involved, or that it must have been a .380, etc.
Human nature, I guess, to want to fill in the blanks.
I will be happy if there is a followup on the story, though that seems to be a little chancy.

It doesn't mention anything about a semi auto pistol... .38 hand gun are a common gun in Thailand and any Thai who wants to own a gun for house protection that is the gun most will choose... EASY TO LOAD EASY TO USE AND WON'T MALFUNCTION.  My x in Bangkok had one legally in her name and in our house.

3 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

Quote from PhuketGazette >>>She was rushed to Vachira Hospital with gun wounds on her left waist and right calf. She is expected to recover from her injuries.<<<End quote

.38 is a very common gun in Thailand as it's cheaper and easier to use than a semi automatic gun. Don't confuse .38 with a 9 mm. There's one sold in Thailand Smith & Wesson TRR8 327 Nightguard, very common with Security staff and as a "protection" at home. I quote protection as it a fact that most gunshot victims are shot with their own gun in their own house.

Edited by KamalaRider
Added text

3 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

She didn't die, and the story said they expect her to recover.

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

No reason from the story to assume there was an error and that the police found expended shells rather than bullets, or rounds, as stated.
It is entirely possible, if less likely, that somebody did drop some bullets while reloading a revolver.
I am not advancing any theories, just find it interesting that some have stated more or less as fact that there must have been a semi auto involved, or that it must have been a .380, etc.
Human nature, I guess, to want to fill in the blanks.
I will be happy if there is a followup on the story, though that seems to be a little chancy.

"police found expended shells rather than bullets, or rounds" - did you read the second press release????  They were shell casings.

.38 is a very common caliber, but not in semi-auto, in fact, in semi-auto, it is very rare. 

As most would know, a semi-auto ejects the shells after they have been fired, where as a revolver does not, hence my questions in a previous post.

Shell casings would be present at the scene of a crime, if a semi-auto was used, but .38 in semi-auto is rare.

If you read my post again, I am not putting a "theory" forward where a .38 semi-auto or revolver was used. 

What I did put forward, as a fact, was how rare .38 semi-auto pistols are, and found it unusual spent rounds would be manually selected from the cylinder, and discarded at the crime scene, even more strange if 6 shots were not fired. 

I also found it strange that this would be done a second time, outside, whilst fleeing the scene? 

Edited by NamKangMan

I was the previous tenant of this house. There are cameras around it connected to a dvr in the living room. Also a wall but no spikes on top. The owner is,  lets say....  frugal. I was always worried someone would jump over the wall so I told him I wanted a dog and he basically threw me out and ran the whole deposit scam routine on me. He literally tried to keep 30000 baht for one missing spoon. His brother owns the villas next door and they are like Fort Knox because they were victims in the past but this guy never took the hint. To say its a quiet soi is an understatement. It's the perfect place for a robbery and I knew it and got out. I installed the safe and it was bolted but only to a non removable shelf in the closet. Someone determined could break it out. I only kept keys and some paperwork in it for that reason. Also there were recent renovations done right after I left in December. I'm sorry the woman was hurt and I hope they catch the guys involved but the landlord got some sweet karma here. Can't say I'm sad about that. 

Hope she recovers.   Article says .38 bullets.  Several times including headline. But us sportsman are used to wrong term being used so much.  I assumed they meant casings/shells/brass. Not bullet which is complete unused ordinance.  Plenty of 38 Supra semi autos  here.

Big difference between a .380 and a .38.   I wish all this was taught  in reporter school. 

Now Sherlock time

Maybe the .38 was the German gals? She spilled some live bullets while loading it at the sounds of people in the house.  I could say shells and mean same.  As in "hand me some shells".   I use bullet, shells to mean live ammo.  Brass as empties.  

Hubby usually drink till 3 am?? Hmmm.   She must have lost some blood.  Sounds horrible.  Hope these two goons get caught and punished properly to World standards. 

5 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

Do you have any idea how many handguns, of every calibre, are in Thailand? Something like 10 million!

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"police found expended shells rather than bullets, or rounds" - did you read the second press release????  They were shell casings.

.38 is a very common caliber, but not in semi-auto, in fact, in semi-auto, it is very rare. 

As most would know, a semi-auto ejects the shells after they have been fired, where as a revolver does not, hence my questions in a previous post.

Shell casings would be present at the scene of a crime, if a semi-auto was used, but .38 in semi-auto is rare.

If you read my post again, I am not putting a "theory" forward where a .38 semi-auto or revolver was used. 

What I did put forward, as a fact, was how rare .38 semi-auto pistols are, and found it unusual spent rounds would be manually selected from the cylinder, and discarded at the crime scene, even more strange if 6 shots were not fired. 

I also found it strange that this would be done a second time, outside, whilst fleeing the scene? 

No, I was not until now aware that there was a second press release, which as I stated I hoped there would be.
Relative rarity of a .38 caliber semi auto does not alter the fact that they do exist, including manufacturered by: Colt, Dan Wesson, European American Armory, Les Baer Custom, Ed Brown,American Classic, and Sig Sauer.
Per Elkski above: " Plenty of 38 Supra semi autos  here."
They are not, in fact, "very rare".

Unless you were there, and held the weapon in your hand, you are in fact proposing as yet unproven theories. Completely within your right, but not known or proven scenarios are IN FACT, not fact at all, but theory.

If the perps decided to reload, most revolvers can manage that in seconds. Snap the cylinder out and depress the ejector. Two seconds. Speedloader for new shells, another two seconds.

It makes no matter if one round or shell casing was found outside. Until more information comes forth that neither adds to nor subtracts from any scenario. Somebody policed SOME of the brass and dropped one on the way out. An unknown round was fired from a .38 semi automatic pistol outside, or from a revolver and manually ejected, (not "selected" by the way). A rat picked one shell casing up inside and carried it out, then decided it was inedible.
Speculate all you wish, but admit you are speculating.