Pool Cleaning Robots

luudee

Has anybody used one of those pool cleaning robots ?

Are they any good ?

Do they brush the walls?

Anything specific I should look out for ?

Any recommendations?

Many Thanks,

rudi

PS: My pool is about 275m^3, and my water is crystal clear (salt based pool)

pool.jpg

I have a Dolphin M500. Overall it's pretty good for cleaning the floor and the walls/waterline but it doesn't do steps well. It's an incredibly user friendly piece  of equipment, pretty much idotproof, very easy to use and cleaning the filters after a cycle takes less than 5 minutes. Even when my pool looks crystal clean I am surprised how dirty the micro filters get after a 3 hour cycle.

The biggest drawback is the initial cost, mine purchased in Thailand was roughly double the cost of buying it in the west. Is it worth it? I'd say yes in my case as I only visit my house 2-3 times a month and I use a pool company for the upkeep so the first thing I do when I arrive is throw the robot in the pool and run cycle every day when I am there. Having said that, after owning a robot, even if I was there all the time I'd still want one. 

19 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

Nice pool. What is your yellow grating? Fiberglass?  What material is your swimming pool slide?  Thanks in advance. 

I wish ! :)  It's ABS that is supposed to be a cream color but pretty much destroyed by the sun. Needs to be replaced, it

is starting to crack.

The slide is cheap Thai Stainless steel. Was supposed to last only 5 years (for the kids), but has been standing for over

10 years now. I have my worker polish it once every couple of months. It has active water sprayers built in (turned on

when using it). The areas where the water sprays out show major rusting ... but still, I am happy with it. Cost me some

140K baht over 10 years ago ...

rudi

• 2 weeks later...

I had one back home in Oz called a Barracuda, did a pretty good job on my pebble finish pool, it was a free form pool and there were no sharp angles anywhere by design si that an automatic cleaner would work better, the only thing that ever stopped it was the occasional leaf getting stick in a rubber read valve that it had in the head of it.

1 hour ago, Pungdo said:

I had one back home in Oz called a Barracuda, did a pretty good job on my pebble finish pool, it was a free form pool and there were no sharp angles anywhere by design si that an automatic cleaner would work better, the only thing that ever stopped it was the occasional leaf getting stick in a rubber read valve that it had in the head of it.

Ditto. Had several types back in Oz, Barracuda best by far.

We have this one from Zodiac.

The initial cost is frightening but it has saved me hours and hours of pool care.

We have a salt water pool and no maintenance visits from anyone. The robot takes care of cleaning and the salt water chlorinator is pretty much trouble-free, as you know.

Over the last three years I've had it, I'm very glad I bought the cleaning robot. 

:biggrin:

I have used an older version at my house in the US....it helped extend the time I would have to do a deep cleaning but never eliminated any maintenance.  I would run it when I knew we'd be using the  pool to make things a little nicer. 

I use to own aquabots 10+ years ago, they were good machines and climbed really well. But nowadays their robots are crap. I throw my machine in 2-3 times per week, back then Aquabot lasted me a good 5 years. The recent ones only lasted 1-2 years, I've been through 4 aquabots.

I've begin using Dolphin, it has held up fine for the past 2 years, there was a small electronic problem which cost me around 1000-2000 baht to fix. But other than that, components and quality is superior to Aquabots under the Thai sun. The thing is that the dealer here was able to fix electronics for me, if it was Aquabot they would ask you to replace parts or whole unit which is very costly.

Dolphins couldn't climb my walls (I have mixture of curve and flat, even flat it couldn't climb) , and their running pattern isn't as good as Aquabot. It doesn't bother me much as whats important for me is dirt and leaves at the bottom.

Some high quality robots are now available in  Thailand at  prices much  the same as in  Europe and Australia.

Self-imported robots will not be coverd by guarantee.

Always buy  from  an accredited retailer who  can provide genuine guarantee and after-sales service.

See Maytronics Dolphin Robots

Free home demonstrations available in some areas.

Archived