Pizza

altman

There's a place on Ratchadamnoen Rd (leading from Tapae Gate into old city, on right hand side , go past Tamarind Village entrance. Don't know the name, but was sat in there one sunday market day having a drink, & the pizzas they were serving looked the real thing. Thin crusty things without pineapples!!!!!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a place on Ratchadamnoen Rd (leading from Tapae Gate into old city, on right hand side , go past Tamarind Village entrance. Don't know the name, but was sat in there one sunday market day having a drink, & the pizzas they were serving looked the real thing. Thin crusty things without pineapples!!!!!

Oh gawd.. another farlang-food topic.

Dukes,

Paradise Pizza,

Mad Dog,

Spicchio (sp?).

JxP :D

All extremely unpalatable :oThe place that fits the bill of the OP is "The Brick Road" which is just past the Writer's wine bar on the left. Nice big wood fired oven outside, producing brilliant thin crust pizzas with a flavoursome home made tomato sauce topped with heaps of motzarella and your favourite filling. They also run a take away service for the city and fringe areas. Sorry I can't find the number as of posting....

Has anyone tried that new restaurant in Kad Falang? I think it's called "Walds Osteria", or something like that. It's an upmarket Italian (I think, though the name doesn't sound Italian) place I believe. I didn't try the Italian fare, as it all looked pretty expensive, and I just went in to feed the kids. Ordered a couple of pizzas which were very tasty, large, and not too pricey.

Edited by lannarebirth

I just got a flyer in the mailbox a couple of days announcing it's opening. Mentioned a buffet for 300 baht. Was going to post it here to see if anyone has tried the place yet but got swamped with work. I live only a couple of kilometers away from it so will have to give it a try.

Are you talking about the one opposite the writers' club? Has woodfire pizza - a couple of posters on this forum will be concerned about its deserved reputation as being very good getting out to the general population. The will worry about the hordes of people turning up and the resultant dropping of standards.

I like pineapple of pizza but it is great of burgers hmmmm

CB

Crowboy told us that the three worst pizzas he's had were all in Italy.

That's correct. Two in Rome and one in Florence. On the other hand I had some really nice ones in Sicily and Naples. The one I bought in Milan was a work of art and the one from Florence should become the standard for all to aspire.

Apparently, pizzas in Melbourne are made with ambrosia! :o
Melbourne takes its food very seriously and has a huge ethnic population - basically almost everyone arrived there within the last 200 years so unless your taste in food revolve around a half cooked kangaroo done on an open fire followed by goanna and echidna pudding then all the food styles have been brought in over a relatively small period of time. Post WW2 there was a massive influx of Europeans and they brought their food including the ubiquitous pizza with them. Pizza in Melbourne is seriously good and available in regional styles. So if you want a very thin crips pizza with a smear of sauce and minimal cheese then you can get that. If you prefer thick base and massive topping then any number of restaurants in Lygon Street can do that. Upmarket gourmet pizza - sure thing you want basil and goatcheese with the smoked ham then take your choice.

A lot of the pizza restaurants will offer a wide range of styles and toppings depending on the customers preference. Part of the problem here is that the shop tends to go for a middle of the road serving which while not great tries not to offend too many people - it makes for a mediocre pizza. However to be fair to the people doing it, the market here is small and they need to cater to the widest possible group in order to survive. Sure I would love to see a top of the range pizza place in town but honestly do you think the local market would support a pizza costing say 350-500 baht a medium size (12"). That is how much it would cost to do a top quality generous topping pizza with mainly imported ingredients.

CB

ROBERTO'S - the boss (Roberto..wot a suprise) had a restaurant in Rome i think. the pizzas and the pasta are top quality, genuine italian pizzas cooked in a wood oven, and at very good prices.

Its situated near tapae gate/off moon muang rd soi3, behind John's place and next to Cozy corner .

Highly recommended.

Someone mentioned Osteria Wald at Kad Farang. I've been there once, but after reading the menu, I decided to leave the place. It was very expensive - I didn't check the pizza prices- and I didn't want to take the risk to spend much money at a place I never heard about.

Someone mentioned Osteria Wald at Kad Farang. I've been there once, but after reading the menu, I decided to leave the place. It was very expensive - I didn't check the pizza prices- and I didn't want to take the risk to spend much money at a place I never heard about.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me, but I ordered a pizza instead. Sticker shock.

I'm looking for the most authentic Italian style pizza in CM. Not fake thick based crap, so will be presumably looking for an authentic Itallian pizzaria/restaurant. I want a thin base, luscious tomato and herb sauce and topped with more than enough mozzarella.... etc etc

I have 2 requirements:

1: When you pick up a slice it begins to flop/droop down under the thinness of the base/strenght of the cheese and topping trying to stay connected to the pizza so you have to bend down and chomp into the tip of the slice.

2: When you pull away from a mouthful there's a cheese bridge of at least 6 inchs which you have to break away with your hand, leaving a small coating of the tomato sauce on your finger tips.

Can anyone help?

Been a member since April and you haven't found a summary of the pizza in CM (and BKK, FTM)? You ain't tryin'!

You pretty much got the gist of things listed above already. I get my pizza mostly at Paradise. Reason is it most closely approximates what I'd call a "lunch slice" in NYC, where I used to have two slices for lunch at the local 2-3 times a week. Not a "soul-moving" experience, not the "best" pizza in town, just a specific mix of simple, dependable taste which accurately reproduces a specific type of pizza that I like. Important point for me, you can eat it the way we do at home (ECoast US). Pick it up and bend it into a funnel, eat it from the point down, with one hand. That's American style! Shovel down your food and get back to your soul-crushing cubicle, you minion! Ah, glory days!

Edited by calibanjr.

I agree that Roberto's is very good. I went there for the first time last week and really enjoyed the pizza.

I also tried the new "vegetarian" Italian place on Rajadamnern by Wawee. I really want to like the place since I want to support quality food and local businesses who try something new. They annoyed me before by not really being a vegetarian restaurant, but in retrospect I guess its just a language thing.

It was at least 28 degrees inside the restaurant and the woman who seemed to be the manager/owner thought that was just right, she told me the air conditioner was working just fine. While I was in there eating a pedestrian and mediocre pizza one other farang expat and his wife walked in and walked out because it was too warm. If they are not going to aircondition such a small room, why not open the doors and windows?

Oh well, maybe I will try it again, but, sadly, I don't think it will last very long.

Edited by ricklev

I agree that Roberto's is very good. I went there for the first time last week and really enjoyed the pizza.

I also tried the new "vegetarian" Italian place on Rajadamnern by Wawee. I really want to like the place since I want to support quality food and local businesses who try something new. They annoyed me before by not really being a vegetarian restaurant, but in retrospect I guess its just a language thing.

It was at least 28 degrees inside the restaurant and the woman who seemed to be the manager/owner thought that was just right, she told me the air conditioner was working just fine. While I was in there eating a pedestrian and mediocre pizza one other farang expat and his wife walked in and walked out because it was too warm. If they are not going to aircondition such a small room, why not open the doors and windows?

Oh well, maybe I will try it again, but, sadly, I don't think it will last very long.

Agreed on both counts. Roberto at 'Da Roberto' and his wife Vilai (fluent in Italian, English - and Thai of course) are great people with great food and great value. His thin, flattish rounded bread is terrific (especially when Vilai makes it with extra salt) and his pasta arabiatta a wonderous and generous plateful. These people in their tiny place (just across the entrance to the 'hotel under construction' from Laughing Leprechaun) deserve every success.

By contrast the lady you met in the new, warm, glass box (fluent English) has always had an attitude problem and just canNOT take even friendly, polite, constructive criticism. Shame. Her husband is fine.

My husband and I tried Georgio's about 4 months ago...SOOOO good. The best pizza we had ever had, and it meets the requirements of the OP.

Agree Georgio's is now my favourite Italian in Chiang Mai. The problem is getting a table, make a reservation or you'll be out of luck.

Edited by lamphun

By contrast the lady you met in the new, warm, glass box (fluent English) has always had an attitude problem and just canNOT take even friendly, polite, constructive criticism. Shame. Her husband is fine.

I doubt if it was the owner as I've never seen her in the new location and I go there fairly often. Probably one of the staff.

I've known her for years and I beg to differ, she has asked me for constructive criticism many times and I have seen her change things because of a customer's advice numerous times. All I can say is that she has always been helpful and good to me.

By the way, I agree about the lack of air-con in the new place and they often shut it down in Stephanos as well and I have complained to HIM in both places. My guess is that Stephano is one of those farangs who don't have any problem with the heat and doesn't really get it that other people do and he feels like he is wasting electricity if he feels too cold.

I tend to not go there as often as I would if the air-con was more consistant, but he doesn't seem to be hurting for customers. :o

By the way, I agree about the lack of air-con in the new place and they often shut it down in Stephanos as well and I have complained to HIM in both places. My guess is that Stephano is one of those farangs who don't have any problem with the heat and doesn't really get it that other people do and he feels like he is wasting electricity if he feels too cold.

I think he is like me, I don't like the cold air from the A/C falling on me when I am eating. It makes the food get cold too quickly. I tend to eat in open restaurants most of the time and when I go to restaurants such as the Dukes prefer to sit outside with the smokers. I went to Stephano's were I do like the food and felt like I was freezing. I prefer it to be like he normally has it, the only time it does get hot is when he is full of customers and then a little bit of Air Con is nice. However many of his customers ask for the temp to be lowered even further and then I feel uncomfortably cold.

CB

My husband and I tried Georgio's about 4 months ago...SOOOO good. The best pizza we had ever had, and it meets the requirements of the OP.

Agree Georgio's is now my favourite Italian in Chiang Mai. The problem is getting a table, make a reservation or you'll be out of luck.

Another vote for Da Giorigo.

Georgio's seems to be Chiang Mai's most popular Italian Restaurant now, but I don't really understand why - unless they have improved a lot over the last few years.

When I tried them - maybe two or three years ago - they were good, but no better than Pum Pui or Stefano's or Sergio's new place and more expensive. This was when people first started raving about them, but after about 3 visits, my freinds and I decided that alhough OK, it wasn't worth going out of the way for.

What do other people think?

Ulysses mentions "after about 3 visits" he and his friends decided it wasn't worth it (Giorgio's). You guys are more tolerant than I am, more forgiving of venues (and I'm not very picky about food). Sometimes I play "One strike and you're out." I went to a highly acclaimed hamburger stand the other night, and the ground beef was the worst I've had in Thailand. Will I give them another chance and waste another 100 baht? No, sir, not when there's so much better competition. As for pizza, I don't recall diStefano's being that great (or any of the places in Hua Hin), but Buonissimo, as the name suggests, is the best. For me.

The other day I was again at Spicchio (Central Airport Plaza). There are certainly better pizzas somewhere in the world. But concerning what you pay and what you get, you can't beat them in Chiang Mai. It's 50 B. for a slice. Two slices fill me up. What I really like, one combine the slices. E.g. one slice with salami and one slice with spinach and bacon.

Georgio's seems to be Chiang Mai's most popular Italian Restaurant now, but I don't really understand why - unless they have improved a lot over the last few years.

When I tried them - maybe two or three years ago - they were good, but no better than Pum Pui or Stefano's or Sergio's new place and more expensive. This was when people first started raving about them, but after about 3 visits, my freinds and I decided that alhough OK, it wasn't worth going out of the way for.

What do other people think?

I've eaten at Da Giorgio about five times, spaced out over the last two years. All of my meals there have been excellent. I have found the food quality and variety to be a notch or two higher than Pum Pui or Stefano. My experiences with Buonissimo have been up and down, best when in the company of Italian friends, more average when not. I also like the more varied menu Da Giorgio offers, comparatively speaking. I've become fairly bored with the other three menus. And it's nice to have the salads prepared at tableside, just like in Italy.

Ulysses mentions "after about 3 visits" he and his friends decided it wasn't worth it (Giorgio's). You guys are more tolerant than I am, more forgiving of venues (and I'm not very picky about food). Sometimes I play "One strike and you're out." I went to a highly acclaimed hamburger stand the other night, and the ground beef was the worst I've had in Thailand. Will I give them another chance and waste another 100 baht? No, sir, not when there's so much better competition. As for pizza, I don't recall diStefano's being that great (or any of the places in Hua Hin), but Buonissimo, as the name suggests, is the best. For me.

With UG it has to be 3 visits :o It's the only reason I made it through 3 visits to Duke's ... :D

The other day I was again at Spicchio (Central Airport Plaza). There are certainly better pizzas somewhere in the world. But concerning what you pay and what you get, you can't beat them in Chiang Mai. It's 50 B. for a slice. Two slices fill me up. What I really like, one combine the slices. E.g. one slice with salami and one slice with spinach and bacon.

I like Spicchio as well for Italian style pizza, not world class but pretty yummy for a quick fix. Today I had a pizza margerita with buffalo mozzarella, basil and fresh arugula(rucola) in Naples, Italy...pizza at the source! A very cool experience...see you in 3 weeks Chiang Mai.

I can't think of a restaurant in Chiang Mai that is consistant enough to only try it once and never bother with it again. Pretty much every one that I can think of has off days or days when the meat or other ingredients are not up to snuff. It comes with living in a developing country.

For example, I think that Salsa Kitchen has the best ribs in town four out of five trips, but every once in a while, the meat is tough and not all that tasty. I just forgive them and it is usually great the next time.

I've eaten at Mi Casa only once and the whole group that I went with was disappointed, however, I've heard enough good things about it that - eventually - I will go back and try ordering differently. I know that Crowboy wasn't impressed either, but I think that it deserves at least one more shot.

Two of us ordered the 1,000 baht each ( something like that ) "tasters" menu where you get small amounts of a few dishes and one or two items were delicious - if I remember correctly, they gave you ONE shrimp, but it was a really good one - but the rest of the food items were not only boring, but very tiny portions as well. I can't see any excuse for serving a thimble full of pumpkin soup - even if it was amazing - but theirs was average at best.

The deserts were pretty good and we got THREE thimbles with something different in each one, but then I found out that we had to SHARE the thimbles and it was almost insulting.

If I go back, I will try ordering full portions of one or two things that I really like and see if I am any happier. Two of our party did try that, but they felt that the portions were so small that they ate a lot of bread to feel satisfied.

Neither one of them was too happy when at the end of the meal, they were each charged something like 100 baht each for extra bread, but I thought that it was kind of funny! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

We never should forget: Tastes are different, and there is no objective way to determine the taste of a certain dish. E.g. I like "Mi Casa" but my wife doesn't. In some cases we have the same taste, sometimes not. It's nice to discuss food and restaurants, but it never should end in arguments. At best it can be a hint.