Pizza

altman

Still looking for a great pizza in Chiang Mai, but did find a great one in Vientiane last weeek I can recommend to anyone who would find themselves there. In the "Cafe Provence". Right next door to the "Scandinavian Bakery", not to be confused with the "Swedish Bakery" which is also there (and Luang Phrabang too, I think) making pizzas. Presumably "Swedish" style, as mentioned earlier.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This?

Looks great. Where did you get it ?? Tried the pizza joint opposite the Royal Princess Hotel at the night bazzar and would have to say was disapointed yet again.. There has to be at least one decent pizza in CM.. :o Maybe..not..

Strange you should say that, as I rate it the best pizza in town. Mind you I have been going there long enough, and always tell them how I want it made. I don't like "puffy" crusts, so I always order a thin one well cooked. I was there the other night, and probably had one of the best ever. Extra hot salami with heaps of cheese, and it came out bubbling :D If you go again, go inside and order with one of the English speaking waitresses, and make sure they know what you want, and get the order correct, I think you'll be surprised at the difference. Happy pizza-ing...............

Best pizza in the country is 'Scoozi' they have 3 or 4 branches, one in Silom and a new one in Esplanade centre on ratchada.

Try the 'inferno' and 'mexican' extra salami and capsicum, ask for well done and it is awesome. Crust best yet in Los.

All in the taste buds! :o Pomo d'Oro on Sukhumvit, just along from soi 5 is far better than Scoozi hands down. Having said that.......

One thing is clear from this thread, we all love a good pizza, but we all have various tastes, and that makes it virtually impossible to categorically state who makes the best pizza. As I said, it's all in the taste buds :D

This?

Looks great. Where did you get it ?? Tried the pizza joint opposite the Royal Princess Hotel at the night bazzar and would have to say was disapointed yet again.. There has to be at least one decent pizza in CM.. :o Maybe..not..

Strange you should say that, as I rate it the best pizza in town. Mind you I have been going there long enough, and always tell them how I want it made. I don't like "puffy" crusts, so I always order a thin one well cooked. I was there the other night, and probably had one of the best ever. Extra hot salami with heaps of cheese, and it came out bubbling :D If you go again, go inside and order with one of the English speaking waitresses, and make sure they know what you want, and get the order correct, I think you'll be surprised at the difference. Happy pizza-ing...............

Fair enough. Will try that next time.. My folks both thought that it was fine but i guess growing up near "Lygon" has spoilt me a bit...By the way when i asked for thin crust i got the ol "mai mee krap/kaa' by a he/ she.. thing..Good service though.

post-31110-1170170861_thumb.jpg

Fair enough. Will try that next time.. My folks both thought that it was fine but i guess growing up near "Lygon" has spoilt me a bit...By the way when i asked for thin crust i got the ol "mai mee krap/kaa' by a he/ she.. thing..Good service though.

That's rough, you must have sprung one of the newer waitresses that has no clues about pizza, and what can be ordered. Maybe next time I'll meet you there, and do the ordering :o

I know what you mean about Lygon Street, and have, at one time or another, eaten in every one of them! Without a doubt the finest around.

• 4 weeks later...
Have a good time and I hope you find the Swedish-style Pizzaplace! It is really worth the trip! :D :D :D

Ok. The other day, I managed to find Ms. Pauline's and Mr. Chan's - and I tried their pizza... no. 23 on the menu, also known as Ms Silvia. Topping: tomato spread, cheese (obviously), pork filet marinated in oregano, and cherry tomatoes - and sauce bearnaise :o

It is a real Swedish style pizza, and beautifully made it was too. Priced at 180 baht - a fair price considering the quality of the ingredients.

We also tried their spaghetti bolognese, which was very tasty as well.

The restaurant is on the Canal Road, near the turnoff to the Night Safari and Royal Flora. If you are driving along the Canal Road coming from central CM, you should pass the turnoff to the Night Safari on your right hand side, and drive along until you get to the next U-turn, where you make a U-turn and come back to just before you reach the evening market on your left hand side - i.e. the Night Safari side.

The restaurant consists of two white one story buildings, and there is a garden sitting area close to the road. Opening hours 17.00 - 22.00 weekdays, and 12.00 - 22.00 Saturdays (and perhaps Sundays, can't quite remember).

There is another branch on Huay Kaew Road, almost opposite Chiang Mai Hill hotel - hard to notice unless you know it is there; there is a gravel parking lot in front of it facing the road, and the restaurant sign is not very big.

Ok. The other day, I managed to find Ms. Pauline's and Mr. Chan's - and I tried their pizza... no. 23 on the menu, also known as Ms Silvia. Topping: tomato spread, cheese (obviously), pork filet marinated in oregano, and cherry tomatoes - and sauce bearnaise :o

It is a real Swedish style pizza, and beautifully made it was too. Priced at 180 baht - a fair price considering the quality of the ingredients.

We also tried their spaghetti bolognese, which was very tasty as well. -snip for brevity, see full post above-

The restaurant consists of two white one story buildings, and there is a garden sitting area close to the road. Opening hours 17.00 - 22.00 weekdays, and 12.00 - 22.00 Saturday's (and perhaps Sundays, can't quite remember).

There is another branch on Huay Kaew Road, almost opposite Chiang Mai Hill hotel - hard to notice unless you know it is there; there is a gravel parking lot in front of it facing the road, and the restaurant sign is not very big.

That's a pretty good testimonial Meadish, I'll give it another try. Seemed kinda small. ordinary and expensive when I went before. Bernaise sauce on a pizza? Well, I'll try anything once.

Paradise pizza is by far the best pizza in Chiang Mai. it took the owner awhile to teek it, now when I need a pizza fix, this is it.

Jim

If you like Paradise Pizza, try The Duke's. I think that you will be most pleased.

Also, Ms. Pauline's and Mr. Chan's is highly recommended by a buddy who worships the Duke's pizza and wasn't overly impressed by Paradise.

Well Amido's can be good. But be warned: You need to make sure that Amido is around or the quality drops through the floor. Seems to be a problem in many farang-owned places - as soon as the cat leaves the house, the same cooks that before made excellent food suddenly forget everything they learned. I have no idea why ?! Instead of lasagna you get some kind of cheese-soup. That said, I have had excellent italian-style pizzas there.

Pai has another restaurant that's even better for pasta and also pizza (italian-style only) - Latina, now renamed to "Baan Pizza" which is kind of silly but the same owner, real full-blooded italian cook who makes all his own pasta and gets personally offended when you don't like his food. Luckily, his food is excellent... my wife has the habit of continually offending him though, at one time asking him if he put sugar in the pasta sauce.

I like both italian and american style pizza and, like others here, noticed that you just can't get good american style pizza here (in thailand). Doesn't exist, period. I miss San Fran for that... tons of "NY-style" pizza in little independent shops, always huge, as many ingredients as you like, always excellent.

I tried the pizza at Latina when it was still called Latina and it was very slow coming to the table. And very disappointing, appearance- and taste-wise. I haven't tried the new location, hope it has improved.

Myself, I've noticed no difference at all with the pizzas at Amido's whether he's there or not. In fact without him yelling at the staff they often come out a tad better, in my experience. The lasagne there is the best I've had anywhere in Thailand, again whether Amido is there or not. I was there less than a week ago, and our table had two different pizzas and the lasagne; Amido was nowhere to be seen and everything was fabuloso (except the house wine; bring your own!)

To each his own ... :o

The restaurant consists of two white one story buildings, and there is a garden sitting area close to the road. Opening hours 17.00 - 22.00 weekdays, and 12.00 - 22.00 Saturdays (and perhaps Sundays, can't quite remember).

I just saved your directions. It is very close to where I live and apparently drive by it everyday to work but didn't notice.

Tywais, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. My guess is that if you order a 'standard' Italian pizza like capricciosa, margherita, calzone, quattro staggione you may not be all that impressed.

Buonissimo, Da Stefano's etc. probably do a better job with those... What I do recommend is trying one of the fusion deals, like the no. 23 I had, because apart from the beautiful bread, it is the unusual combination of ingredients that makes the whole pizza.

Obviously for me the 'taste of home' might make it more tasty than I would otherwise find it... but wifey was also very impressed with it, so it cannot be ALL nostalgia on my part.

Also, when you do decide to try it out; unlike us, make sure you've got your home security covered...

I tried the pizza at Latina when it was still called Latina and it was very slow coming to the table. And very disappointing, appearance- and taste-wise. I haven't tried the new location, hope it has improved.

Myself, I've noticed no difference at all with the pizzas at Amido's whether he's there or not. In fact without him yelling at the staff they often come out a tad better, in my experience. The lasagne there is the best I've had anywhere in Thailand, again whether Amido is there or not. I was there less than a week ago, and our table had two different pizzas and the lasagne; Amido was nowhere to be seen and everything was fabuloso (except the house wine; bring your own!)

To each his own ... :o

We've been to Amidos twice although it's been awhile. The first time we went there, Amido wasn't there. The second time, he was. I don't think it matters if he is there or not and I have to agree that it may have been a tad better when he wasn't there (which I think is a compliment to Amido for training his staff so well). Anyway, thanks for posting about Amidos because I was wondering if Amido's was still there. We'll have to try to make it up to Pai next time we are here. I think it is really good pizza.

Whoever posted about San Fran -- do you have recommendations -- that's where we'll be going next. Thanks...

ok i just had a goodfellas frozen pizza , it was one or their la bottega tuscan ones and i have to say it was the best frozen pizza i have ever had . much better than the one i had in pom pui last time i was there,and much cheaper ! i know restaurants need to charge more to make money , but i cant believe it is that hard to make a fresh pizza taste better than a frozen one . full marks to goodfellas

• 3 weeks later...

THE DUKES, BEST PIZZA IN CHIANG MAI if not all of Thailand.. And before you react, i grew up with Italians in Melbourne who make the best pizzas.. I have also lived in Bangkok for 3 years. Nothing even comes close for sheer size and quality..

you beginning to sound just like UG ! :o

Hi. I don't jump on bandwagons or follow the flock at all.. And i don't even know UG or the owner of Dukes.. Just go and try it , you might surprise yourself.. :D After 9 years in Thailand i have finally found "The" pizza.. It's just like prospecting and finding only small gems until finally finding the mother lode..

Hi. I don't jump on bandwagons or follow the flock at all.. And i don't even know UG or the owner of Dukes.. Just go and try it , you might surprise yourself.. :o After 9 years in Thailand i have finally found "The" pizza.. It's just like prospecting and finding only small gems until finally finding the mother lode..

AusEd,

I have gone to Duke's twice now and yes it does have good food and their pizza is awesome. :D.

but u did sound a lot like UG earlier !

Ok i just had a goodfellas frozen pizza , it was one or their la bottega tuscan ones and i have to say it was the best frozen pizza i have ever had . much better than the one i had in pom pui last time i was there,and much cheaper ! i know restaurants need to charge more to make money , but i cant believe it is that hard to make a fresh pizza taste better than a frozen one . full marks to goodfellas

Where do you buy it at ??

Duke's pizza is fair. I wouldn't say it's the best in Thailand. I've had better in Bangkok and at Amido's in Pai.

How many items on the Duke's menu did you try on your one visit - other than the hamburger that didn't have avocado on it? :o

I have tried several different items at Duke's. The ribs are pretty good but the sauce sucks. He should have a good cajun barebecue sauce since we are in thailand the spiciness would fit. I was not impressed by the pizza. The hamburger was okay. I also sampled the dishes my wife ordered. I don't remember what they were but I wasn't impressed enough to remember them.

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for the most authentic Italian style pizza in CM. Not fake thick based crap, so will be presumably looking for an authentic Itallian pizzaria/restaurant. I want a thin base, luscious tomato and herb sauce and topped with more than enough mozzarella.... etc etc

I have 2 requirements:

1: When you pick up a slice it begins to flop/droop down under the thinness of the base/strenght of the cheese and topping trying to stay connected to the pizza so you have to bend down and chomp into the tip of the slice.

2: When you pull away from a mouthful there's a cheese bridge of at least 6 inchs which you have to break away with your hand, leaving a small coating of the tomato sauce on your finger tips.

Can anyone help?