Khon Kaen Work Permit

Posting here to double my coverage....

Setting up Thai company in Khon Kaen, have got most of the basics out of the way, now at the point of applying for work permit. All information I read online states minimum 4 Thai Staff per foreigner, but GF called the Labor Office in KKC and they stated only need minimum of 1 Thai staff, as long as capitalization is 2 million baht... anyone know of the reason for conflicting information? And which is correct?

Also, if four is required is there a definitive salary/work hour answer?

Edited by Aviatorhi

Some labor ministry offices will reduce the number of Thai employees for a start up company to get the first work permit. For the renewal they would want 4 Thai employees.

There is no written minimum salary or number of hours. Some offices will want to see a minimum salary of 6000 baht.

In Chiangmai I wasn't required to have any "employees" for my WP as a shareholder.  As Joe said, not sure if that will matter when I need to renew it.  Also, my WP is valid for 2 years not 1 year which I was told was different than normal.  Dunno.

1 hour ago, kurtmartens said:

In Chiangmai I wasn't required to have any "employees" for my WP as a shareholder.  As Joe said, not sure if that will matter when I need to renew it.  Also, my WP is valid for 2 years not 1 year which I was told was different than normal.  Dunno.

A shareholder doesn't need a work permit, a managing director does.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

A shareholder doesn't need a work permit, a managing director does.

Sorry.  Am not just a "shareholder" am the managing partner, director, whatever you want to call it.  The point was I wasn't required to have 4 employees for my WP.

I am not sure if this is the right forum. I live in Khon Kaen and I am married to a Thai National and hold a valid Thai visa. We are looking at setting up a shop where my wife will operate doing Thai massage and I am interested in making and selling ice cream, waffles, donuts and cakes. Do I need a work permit as there will be not employees?

51 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I am not sure if this is the right forum. I live in Khon Kaen and I am married to a Thai National and hold a valid Thai visa. We are looking at setting up a shop where my wife will operate doing Thai massage and I am interested in making and selling ice cream, waffles, donuts and cakes. Do I need a work permit as there will be not employees?

Yes, you will need a workpermit. In order to be eligible for that you will need employees, for employee requirements check your local labor office.

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:02 PM, Russell17au said:

Thanks stevenl, well this is one business that will not be starting as it would only be a husband and wife business and not big enough to employ staff

Theoretically you need as little as one staff (up to provincial wp office) and no lower salary limit but 6000-8500 would be normal. 

On 02/09/2017 at 6:05 PM, Russell17au said:

"Sales" is an occupation reserved for Thai nationals only. If you get a work permit for being a manager in a retail business your work permit would normally have a clause in it specifically prohibiting sales.