Where to sell Laos Kip / buy Thai Baht?

Hal65

I'm in Vientiane and a bank said they don't buy kip / sell Thai baht. They only sell kip. 

Only place I know to exchange kip back to baht is at the border for a bad rate. Is there anywhere else here in Vientiane, or in Thailand (I live in Pattaya)

Edited by Hal65

Almost impossible to convert LAK banknotes outside of Laos.  Thai commercial banks won't take them and AFAIK even SuperRich (which does exchange other "exotic" currencies like Burmese kyat, and Macau patacas) won't touch them.  Keep them for your next trip or donate them to any Italian restaurant in Queens that staples foreign currency notes to the wall behind the cash register.

10 hours ago, KamnanT said:

Almost impossible to convert LAK banknotes outside of Laos.  Thai commercial banks won't take them and AFAIK even SuperRich (which does exchange other "exotic" currencies like Burmese kyat, and Macau patacas) won't touch them.  Keep them for your next trip or donate them to any Italian restaurant in Queens that staples foreign currency notes to the wall behind the cash register.

Agreed.  I think kip aren't actually supposed to be taken out of the country.  If you're going to change them, you might be able to find places on the Thai side in the immediate vicinity of the border crossings, but I'd think you're better off finding some place there in Vientiane.   The morning market sounds like a good suggestion.   I've always tried to buy just the kip I think I'm actually going to use, burn through most of the last of them on my last night, and then leave the "bits and pieces" if any in the donation box at the airport.

dreadful news as I have over 1 billion kip invested in Laos and I am not planning to spend them there :shock1:

anyway try the money changers and other banks , I suggest Phongsavanh Bank, they are famous for trading non convertible currencies , like this old spot shows (kip into dong) 

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

In Thailand foreigners are millionaires, in Laos billionaires.

Do Lao women love you more true if you are wealthy by this magnitude?

actually on my latest trip to Vientiane I even failed to seduce my guesthouse's cleaner.... she was unaware of my real economic status though

no , now Lao banks have lowered interest on kip term deposits to 7%.

That's why I moved money from expired deposits to microfinance institutions , where I can get rates between 13.5% to 17% with monthly payments.

On an old deposit at Acleda I am still getting 13.75%.

Other money is on BCEL shares that are paying a 12% dividend 

about changing kip back to other currencies , in April 2016 I managed to change a rather good amount visiting various banks in various days , of course banks where I had account and deposits were easier than others.

did not try money changers but I guess for small amounts it should not be a problem.