War with N Korea. Any impacts on Thailand?

ghworker2010

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, balo said:

How can you be sure? 

Suŕe hes not a nut or he won't hit Guam? Not sure personally on either. But to get the states  and her allies involved he only has to hit S Korea or japan both easy meat.

Edited by jeab1980

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, dave_boo said:

I would believe that a launch at a US target would coincide with the shelling of Seoul.  Trying to evacuate 10 million people or getting them to bunkers is impossible.  Just look at Houston with its only ~6.5 million and the evacuations its tried to undertake.  The time it would take for the US to decide to go after those artillery bunkers would give NK way too much time to inflict incalculable damage against SK.

I do wonder how 'clean' the nukes that NK have.  After all the 'dirty' inefficient Fat Boy only used ~2% of the uranium in its casing; the rest was spread as waste and people are now living in Hiroshima (apparently it only took 10 years for the population to return to pre-war levels).  It just makes me wonder how 'irradiated' a nuked country would be.

"Trying to evacuate 10 million people"  Seoul has 25 million people. 

On 9/4/2017 at 9:08 PM, FritsSikkink said:

You are correct.  I looked at the "special city" rather than "metro".

Apologies to all for making the problem of evacuating Seoul even easier than it would be...

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, just bob said:

The question should really be, would Trump start a war to deflect from the looming charges he's going to face.  Or... How nuts is he.  That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  The other question should be, if he does give some harebrained orders that would see lots of people die, would someone in the inner circle put a bullet in his head for the good of humanity.  Not advocating that, just saying its not inconceivable.

That crooked money hungry Putin is right on this one.  Let NK have nukes.  Mutually assured destruction is a wonderful deterrent.  India has them.  Pakistan has them.  The cats been out of the bag for a long time.

If I was president, Hey Kim Jong, tell you what, you're a good old fart.  Let's sign a peace deal to officially end the Korean war and we'll give you some nukes to insure your security.  China would shit.

You give Trump too much power. He can't wake up grumpy and bomb other countries or start wars because he didn't get lucky last night.

He can't even make immigration policy the way he wants.

However, on topic, it would be a game changer on Thailand, and exchange rate changes might see most of us expats going home, if any planes were still flying, or we could afford to.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I don't believe Kim Jong fatboy will do anything.  It's all PR and about trying to squeeze concessions from the rest of the world.  Fatboy may be crazy, but he's not stupid.  He likes his life the way it is and so do the top officials in NK.  And China would prefer that NK not get together with SK and become one big democracy (and US ally) right across its border.  As far as China's concerned, "Kim Jong Un may be a nutter, but he's our nutter."  So don't expect much from khun Xi with regards to NK. 

BUT...if fatboy were to do something insanely stupid--like send a missile to Guam--NK would no longer exist.  They would be incinerated within a matter of minutes. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I don't believe Kim Jong fatboy will do anything.  It's all PR and about trying to squeeze concessions from the rest of the world.  Fatboy may be crazy, but he's not stupid.  He likes his life the way it is and so do the top officials in NK.  And China would prefer that NK not get together with SK and become one big democracy (and US ally) right across its border.  As far as China's concerned, "Kim Jong Un may be a nutter, but he's our nutter."  So don't expect much from khun Xi with regards to NK. 

BUT...if fatboy were to do something insanely stupid--like send a missile to Guam--NK would no longer exist.  They would be incinerated within a matter of minutes. 

Disagree. To incinerate NoKo would also destroy most of northern South Korea.

Far more likely, IMO, would be small tactical nukes on all the military bases, or even large conventional bombs from stealth bombers, plus a lot of cruise missiles. Think REAL shock and awe. Followed by a rapid deployment of troops to arrest the leadership and a withdrawal asap. I doubt South Korea wants to assimilate millions of destitute peasants, or spend the trillions needed to rebuild the north.

However, I too doubt it will happen. China has too much to lose.

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Disagree. To incinerate NoKo would also destroy most of northern South Korea.

Far more likely, IMO, would be small tactical nukes on all the military bases, or even large conventional bombs from stealth bombers, plus a lot of cruise missiles. Think REAL shock and awe. Followed by a rapid deployment of troops to arrest the leadership and a withdrawal asap. I doubt South Korea wants to assimilate millions of destitute peasants, or spend the trillions needed to rebuild the north.

However, I too doubt it will happen. China has too much to lose.

There's really no avoiding the collateral damage to S. Korea if a war were to break out (which I too doubt very much).  But to actually minimize the damage, the US would have to move swiftly to wipe out NK's offensive capabilities.  We're all speculating now, of course, but I would think the US military leadership has already drawn up all possible scenarios.  Yes, strategic strikes at largely military facilities would be preferred, but who knows where fatboy has all his hardware.  And these strikes would have to be highly effective, i.e., nukes.  Because when cornered, fatboy would want to empty his entire arsenal at someone, so best he didn't have much left.  Not saying every inch of NK needs to be incinerated, but figuratively speaking, there won't be much left.     

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

There's really no avoiding the collateral damage to S. Korea if a war were to break out (which I too doubt very much).  But to actually minimize the damage, the US would have to move swiftly to wipe out NK's offensive capabilities.  We're all speculating now, of course, but I would think the US military leadership has already drawn up all possible scenarios.  Yes, strategic strikes at largely military facilities would be preferred, but who knows where fatboy has all his hardware.  And these strikes would have to be highly effective, i.e., nukes.  Because when cornered, fatboy would want to empty his entire arsenal at someone, so best he didn't have much left.  Not saying every inch of NK needs to be incinerated, but figuratively speaking, there won't be much left.     

Drawn up indeed. Why else do they have a very large building filled with people? Drawn up long ago.

The bunker buster nukes they have are designed to destroy underground facilities that would be untouched by conventional bombs. I'd say they will use them at least.

They won't tell us if they know where all the good stuff is hidden, but I hope they do know.

Just now, balo said:

Ehh, Korean food is very popular here and also K-pop so I think they know.....

Where's here ? Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai ?  I think outside those areas Korea is still greatly unknown.

But yeah, I enjoy Korean food.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Building a mega city within range of an enemy that has vowed to take over the country is not the action of a sane society.

The Sth Koreans have made it plain they don't like Americans in the country with the election of the present president, so is it time to say no more American feet on the ground?

Does Thailand have any significant trade with Sth. Korea to lose? I don't think many Korean tourists visit Thailand. Other than the worldwide problems that would be caused by a war, is Thailand even involved?

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Where's here ? Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai ?  I think outside those areas Korea is still greatly unknown.

But yeah, I enjoy Korean food.

Any place they have internet coverage and advertising, soap operas, costume dramas, cosmetics - TV they will be well aware of many things Korean....Many Thai's fly over - buy up stock & resell it based on Korean appeal - see many on the planes......Fly out in the morning & back the same day....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Any place they have internet coverage and advertising, soap operas, costume dramas, cosmetics - TV they will be well aware of many things Korean....Many Thai's fly over - buy up stock & resell it based on Korean appeal - see many on the planes......Fly out in the morning & back the same day....

Ah, as I thought, a city slicker. Chiang Mail. I'd go so far as to say most rural Thais haven't been outside a 100 km radius of their home.

But I'm sure you'll have a different point of view.