is it possible to live in thailand as long as you like this....

6 minutes ago, juice777 said:

What a joke he truly is.

To be honest I think the joke is on the guys living here long term on an endless stream of Tourist Visas and new passports and Red Stamps and Tourist Visas, while convincing themselves that it's the 'Correct System' to live here on. :laugh:

• Like 1

To be honest I think the joke is on the guys living here long term on an endless stream of Tourist Visas and new passports and Red Stamps and Tourist Visas, while convincing themselves that it's the 'Correct System' to live here on. [emoji23]

As opposed to some having a pop at people for not doing anything illegal which don't harm people . Why stealing TV and movies of the Internet.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/908702-List-of-Free-TV-Streaming-Websites.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

To be honest I think the joke is on the guys living here long term on an endless stream of Tourist Visas and new passports and Red Stamps and Tourist Visas, while convincing themselves that it's the 'Correct System' to live here on. :laugh:

It's the only system some can live on, I wouldn't be to smug if I were you, the rules for Marriage/Retirement Visas could change at any time and you could well be in the same boat as the people you obviously despise

You are exactly the same as those who live here on TV's so I wouldn't think any different if I were you, you are at the whim of the Government 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the only system some can live on, I wouldn't be to smug if I were you, the rules for Marriage/Retirement Visas could change at any time and you could well be in the same boat as the people you obviously despise

You are exactly the same as those who live here on TV's so I wouldn't think any different if I were you, you are at the whim of the Government 
Spot on mate and the only thing I would have to worry about is selling my TV before I leave the country. I ant got to worry about a condo or wife or kids. Not something I would want to worry about and that's why I haven't got any of them in Thailand. Theres no way I would have any of that in a foreign country why living of yearly visas. But each to there own.

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Using Tourist Visa after Tourist Visa after Tourist Visa to live in a country long term is.... wait for it...... 'using the system correctly'. :laugh:

Comedic quality. :thumbsup: 

You might learn something after all then Grumpy

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I didn't know that 37 was that old..... :laugh:

Or that I could even get a retirement visa at my age!! 

:coffee1:

come across as an old fart that's for sure. what's the deal with you moaning about people using tourist visas. spill the beans oh entitled one. not one of these <deleted> who has to work here and jealous of those that don't are you

come across as an old fart that's for sure. what's the deal with you moaning about people using tourist visas. spill the beans oh entitled one. not one of these who has to work here and jealous of those that don't are you
He must be

9 minutes ago, Cletus said:

As long as you have enough money to live somewhere without the need of working, you are a tourist!

You can be a tourist for one week, one month or one year, what's the problem?

Have the money and respect local culture and traditions.

There you have it in a nutshell. Problem is the higher (percived by them of course) echelon of Extension dwellers dont like that.

They cant see that people can in fact stay without the need for work endlessly. Its the

Oh they must be working or doing something illegal and they make our life here harder whingers. Or the old favourite thrown in a good few times on this thread. Tourist visa's it in the name! So long term extension dwellers whats in that name EXTENSION ?

Tourist visa permited ro stay for however long the visa is for correct? 

Extension of stay permited to stay for as long as the extension lasts Correct?

So no great diffrence except in some peoples minds.

• Like 1

Everyone intending to stay in a foreign country should clarify his circumstances; What attracts me there? How will I contribute to society? How will I be able to support myself, within the bounds of law? 

If one can find solid answers to all three one should be able to find the proper visa within what is being offered now. 

It is indeed remarkable that, for so long, consecutive short stays have been granted without any questions being asked. Even though there seems to be some change going right now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Even though there seems to be some change going right now.

Has been for some time.

Restrictions on how many tourist visas people can get (3?...).... Red Stamps.... People being Refused Entry.... etc etc

I mean honestly, when you have to get a new passport because you have too many Tourist Visas and Red Stamps... it's time to take the hint that this isn't the way to live here.

It immediately sets off alarm bells... working illegally? are they criminals? drug dealers? sexual molesters?

Suspect, to say the least. :sad:

• Like 1

Whats the way to live here if not with a Tourist Visa?  Not eligible for retirement, marriage or work permit.  I got laid off from my job in the US and have thousands of dollars saved up and instead of traveling to many differenr countries I realized I can live comfortably by renting a condo and only paying $3,000-$4,000 for the whole YEAR. That's comparing to what I'm used to paying for rent in US which was $1,500 per MONTH. 

There's no need for me to work in Thailand because I have more than enough money to live comfortably for more than a year without doing work. I plan to travel to many different provinces throughout Thailand with my home base being Bangkok.  The only thing I have to worry about is getting a new Visa every 3 months, which is the reason for the back to back Visas.  So why would this be wrong for me to do based on my circumstance? If I am doing it, there must be no problem with being a Tourist and having a place to stay in Bangkok for as long as I would like since I can afford it without needing work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acenase said:

Whats the way to live here if not with a Tourist Visa?  Not eligible for retirement, marriage or work permit.  I got laid off from my job in the US and have thousands of dollars saved up and instead of traveling to many differenr countries I realized I can live comfortably by renting a condo and only paying $3,000-$4,000 for the whole YEAR. That's comparing to what I'm used to paying for rent in US which was $1,500 per MONTH. 

There's no need for me to work in Thailand because I have more than enough money to live comfortably for more than a year without doing work. I plan to travel to many different provinces throughout Thailand with my home base being Bangkok.  The only thing I have to worry about is getting a new Visa every 3 months, which is the reason for the back to back Visas.  So why would this be wrong for me to do based on my circumstance? If I am doing it, there must be no problem with being a Tourist and having a place to stay in Bangkok for as long as I would like since I can afford it without needing work.

Just a couple of questions: do you have long term plans/ambitions? and what is your contribution to Thai society?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

LOL that's hilarious!!!!

Hmmmhhh.. so have fun. But these are exactly the kind of questions asked when you get interviewed for an immigrant (or permanent resident) visa in other countries. I experienced it first hand. I can also imagine myself answering: "oh I want to lead a cheap life and you should be happy to let me spend my little money in your country".

Thai immigration seem to embrace now a "right visa for the right purpose" paradigm. "right visa for the right purpose" paradigm; so permanent residence with a series of tourist visas, or exemptions must be seen a bit disturbing.

Has been for some time.

Restrictions on how many tourist visas people can get (3?...).... Red Stamps.... People being Refused Entry.... etc etc

I mean honestly, when you have to get a new passport because you have too many Tourist Visas and Red Stamps... it's time to take the hint that this isn't the way to live here.

It immediately sets off alarm bells... working illegally? are they criminals? drug dealers? sexual molesters?

Suspect, to say the least. :sad:

sexual molesters

Classic

9 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Hmmmhhh.. so have fun. But these are exactly the kind of questions asked when you get interviewed for an immigrant (or permanent resident) visa in other countries. I experienced it first hand. I can also imagine myself answering: "oh I want to lead a cheap life and you should be happy to let me spend my little money in your country".

Thai immigration seem to embrace now a "right visa for the right purpose" paradigm. "right visa for the right purpose" paradigm; so permanent residence with a series of tourist visas, or exemptions must be seen a bit disturbing.

the guy said he has enough money to chill out here for a year and that's what he plans to do, that is all

Edited by Happy enough

Can anyone please tell me what happens if or when the powers that be decide that i have been here too long.

I know i am pushing the set limits regarding living here as a full time tourist, but all i would like to know is  what is the proceedure .

Next time i go to Vientiane and get a TV and at the border the IO decides that i am not wanted here any more, does he just, there and then  refuse my entry or does he give this red stamp i hear about and lets me stay for the duration of my visa and then i must go back to my old home country?

Thanks for any relevant info.